Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Have you read The Quick Guide to Parenting? Post your feedback on the book by 15 November for a chance to win £100 Love2Shop voucher!

(94 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 27-Sep-16 15:59:20

From what they said to the man at the bus stop, to where you found the remote control, when you're a parent laughing at what gets hurled in your direction is beyond important.

Laura Quick's hilarious collection of observational illustrations about the everyday life of a parent will almost certainly raise a smile of recognition and a chuckle of solidarity.

We've got 50 copies of The Quick Guide to Parenting to give away - apply for yours now.

We ask all winners to share their thoughts about the book on this discussion thread. You don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion - anyone who has read The Quick Guide to Parenting can post their feedback (and you can buy a copy now)

Everyone who posts feedback on the book here by 15 November will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Pavilion Books

FeralBeryl Thu 29-Sep-16 11:21:59

The Peppa Pig one! blushgrin

Flingmoo Thu 29-Sep-16 15:43:39

Looks good grin Have entered and hope to receive a copy smile

FlippertyJibbit Thu 29-Sep-16 17:01:28

Looks very funny, hope to receive a copy and give my review grin

RuthCart Fri 07-Oct-16 10:03:46

Yay. Looking forward to reading this one smile

mojito80 Fri 07-Oct-16 10:10:03

looking forward to getting my copy, looks great.

tworonnies1957 Tue 11-Oct-16 11:30:38

received my free copy today many thanks review to follow

Mozarmstrong Tue 11-Oct-16 16:56:23

Oh this is brilliant sketches are spot on! I laughed out loud 'lol' could not put it down its on its way to my friend who is in desperate need of entertainment while trying to run house children job shopping oooh !

Sunflower22 Fri 14-Oct-16 09:49:59

So true - and lots of fun.

mumnrg Sat 15-Oct-16 11:07:12

I wish someone had given me this rather than useful parenting guides when I was pregnant. Laura's sketches capture cute, cuddle babies and toddlers with the accuracy of classic children's illustrators like Mabel Lucie Attwell but are bang up to date with the little diva moments we deal with and exposing the reality of modern parenting. Read, weep, laugh out loud repeat with a glass in hand. Love Sept 3rd and the cat incident.

dalek Sat 15-Oct-16 11:40:10

Lovely book with some well observed illustrations. Some are very funny indeed - and some very true - do not give your 5 year old a whistle!

victria Sun 16-Oct-16 19:35:46

I was very excited when this beautiful, lavishly illustrated book turned up in the post and having read it my excitement was more than justified. The drawings capture what parenting is like in a modern and fun style and the comments and stories contained within are very funny and accurate. I'm full of admiration for Laura Quick's powers of observation in recording these everyday amusing incidents. I shall definitely be gifting copies of this to new parents in future!

4isplenty Sun 16-Oct-16 21:04:36

I love, love, love this book. The pictures are truely a painting of baby/toddler life with all the pitfalls and sweet memories. My youngest is stick a chubby baby so its all too fresh right now but oh, how I will reminisce with this book. My partner also loved this too. Agreed on this being required on the essential parenting books list smile

KJ123 Wed 19-Oct-16 12:21:53

A really cute, funny, honest and easy to read book about the realities of parenting - would make a fun gift for a new parent. Thanks for the copy - I enjoyed it.

TommyJoesMummy Wed 19-Oct-16 12:39:08

I love the 'Me Time' toilet picture! It's the thing I feel is the oddest change from being a single human to a parent, and she has captured it and many other things in their universal simplicity.
An easy to read and enjoy book. Saying a lot through well-captured childhood moments beautifully drawn, and not a time-consuming book, but easy to get through quickly. Reminds me of my childhood, other children and goes across a lot of years. Full of humour, lovely book! smile

curnowl Wed 19-Oct-16 13:14:28

Thanks for the copy, what a beautiful little book. Touching, warm, accurate and reassuring, this would make a lovely gift for many parents. Keep them coming!

tworonnies1957 Wed 19-Oct-16 14:05:03

very well written book so true to life ,can look back and say yes that's happened to me, the funny moments and the sad ones the ones were you want pull your hair or just lie in a heap and cry your eyes out this book as it all

CazApr1 Wed 19-Oct-16 14:43:07

Lovely book to flick through while the little one's distracted, many of the pictures resonate with experiences and others tell of things to come...

Honchy Wed 19-Oct-16 17:05:29

Love this book, fab illustrations, very true :-)

PickledLilly Wed 19-Oct-16 17:10:34

I thought this book had great potential but to me, it missed the mark. The illustrations weren't quite good enough to carry the book on their own and the anecdotes/observations weren't funny enough to make up for the illustrations. Close but I'm afraid I felt very 'meh' about it all. It seemed curiously self indulgent for something which readers are supposed to be able to enjoy.

kwal Wed 19-Oct-16 17:20:16

Some good sketches and amusing anecdotes but nothing that really grabbed my attention. Just a new take on every day life!

mathocolic Wed 19-Oct-16 17:33:54

Liked the book, it would be helpful for pregnants or mom-to-be's , for me it was fun to read it. Loved the illustrations, definitely suggest it! winkwink

rosh3103 Wed 19-Oct-16 18:22:48

Really lovely book and very very funny in places.

Beebee2016 Wed 19-Oct-16 19:41:46

Read this in one sitting as really enjoyed it. Made me laugh out loud and feel relieved I'm not alone. Thank you for bringing this to my life.

0034marie Thu 20-Oct-16 23:47:04

I didn't like it. Some of the things were funny but the pictures spoiled it for me. Would have been a great funny book had the pictures been better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now