Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Have you read the graphic novel Hole in the Heart by Henny Beaumont? Let us know what you think!

(4 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 03-Aug-16 12:19:26

When Henny Beaumont's third child was diagnosed with Down's syndrome, she wondered how she would cope. Hole in the Heart is her honest and beautifully drawn graphic novel about parenting a child with special needs.

"My daughter made me face my own prejudices towards disability" - You can read Henny's guest post here. We're giving away 20 copies of Hole in the Heart so head to the giveaway page to apply! The giveaway has now closed.

We ask all winners to review the book on this page. However, you don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion - anyone who has read Hole in the Heart can review it or post their feedback here (and you can buy a copy of the book now).

This giveaway is sponsored by Myriad

boo2410 Thu 01-Sep-16 17:58:37

My book turned up today, thank you very much. I had no intention on reading it today but I had a sneaky peek of the first few pages and that was it. Sat and read it all in one sitting and have lent it to my carer. What a beautiful timeline, and the pictures are fantastic. So much emotion in them they needed few words to go with them

An absolutely brilliant book, it brought out so many emotions, sadness in the beginning, then happiness and a joyous ending.

I can't say anything about the "story" as I don't want to give the game away. What I will say is that your children are a credit to you. Also when Beth is older will you write/sketch another one as I would love to know how she progresses and how she gets on at her school (and her siblings at theirs).

If you haven't been lucky enough to win a copy go out and buy it, you really won't be disappointed!!

FoxInABox Mon 12-Sep-16 21:14:24

Fantastic book- I have never read a graphic novel before, and this was a brilliant introduction. I read it in one sitting and found it poignant and truthful, an honesty about emotions that all parents feel- I wholeheartedly agree with the blurb that this is a story that will resonate with all parents anxiety and worries about their children, regardless of whether they have had similar experiences or medical issues. A fantastic read and I hope Beth goes from strength to strength, her character shone through which was lovely. Overall a beautiful and honest story of family love.

Toniglendenning1 Tue 27-Sep-16 08:12:34

Couldn't put the book down read it all in one day, really liked the illustrations. It was a brilliant book. Enjoyed that it was a real life story. It was good to share the persons feelings and experiences and to feel the emotions of bring up Amy! Well done will be sharing with friends

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now