Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Have you read Try Not to Breathe by Holly Seddon? Post your feedback by 26 September for a chance to win £100 Love2Shop voucher!

(40 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 19-Jul-16 12:29:00

Alex is lost. Until she discovers Amy, just another girl from a nearby town except that she's been in a coma for fifteen years. Amy was the victim of a near-deadly assault and Alex soon becomes obsessed with finding the culprit. But how do you solve a crime when the only witness lived but cannot tell the tale?

Try Not to Breathe is the immersive debut novel from Holly Seddon and makes for fantastic holiday reading - apply for your copy now. You can also be inspired - read Holly's terrific top tips for aspiring writers.

To celebrate the release of Try Not to Breathe in paperback, we have 50 copies to give away to Mumsnetters who want to read and share their thoughts about it on this discussion. Go to the giveaway page to find out more about the book and apply for a free copy.

You don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion. Anyone who has read Try Not to Breathe can post their feedback here. If you miss out on a free one, you can buy a paperback. All who post feedback before 26 September will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher. The giveaway ends on Monday 25 July so apply now!

This giveaway is sponsored by Corvus

voyager50 Fri 05-Aug-16 11:47:40

Looking forward to receiving and reviewing my copy - thank you very much.

juleslucas Sat 06-Aug-16 14:44:59

Just received my copy in the post. Looking forward to getting started, thank you for the free review copy.

lottietiger Wed 10-Aug-16 10:44:40

Absolutely loving this book so far. will write again on completion shouldn't be too long as I cant put it down smile

pennwood Wed 10-Aug-16 21:46:50

Try Not To Breathe by Holly Seddon is a great read. I read to chapter 12 the first time I picked the book up to start it so I should soon be back to discuss it. Loving what I have read so far as it is so fresh & fast paced.

jammy388 Sat 13-Aug-16 15:56:00

I was really gripped by this story - despite guessing "whodunnit" quite a bit before the end I felt compelled to keep on reading to see if I was right. The "artistic licence" taken with Amy's condition did strain my credulity at times, but I found the characters and setting convincing, and felt emotional reading the final chapter. The book was a good read but I would be interested to know how the title was arrived at as it didn't strike me as being immediately obvious.

Mick15 Sun 14-Aug-16 00:36:03

Just finished this as part of the lucky few included in the free giveaway and like a previous reader, I did guess the whodunit but it doesn't matter as its a great character story too and I was interested in the evolution of characters throughout the book. I really enjoyed this book which is a thriller without having to be too gruesome- a great, fast paced holiday read. Thanks.

cathisherwood Sun 14-Aug-16 09:34:32

This is a book with a good plot which is easy to read but has no depth and no suspense. Shallow characters with only one real suspect which you realise long before the end - good for reading on a boring plane journey maybe but sadly I wont be actively seeking more titles by this author. Thanks to mumsnet for the free book - I shall now pass it on to someone who might enjoy it more

pennwood Sun 14-Aug-16 14:24:55

The story is told chapter by chapter via the different characters which makes the book different to most. Alex is an alcoholic, & the mainstay of achieving the conclusion. It fictionalised Amy's condition, but was still believable to me, although other readers may disagree. It was fast paced sufficiently to keep my interest throughout, but I could put the book down & easily continue the storyline thanks to the manner in which it is written. I enjoyed this thriller, & would recommend it. Thank you for giving me the opportunity.

BBQsAreSooooOverrated Sun 14-Aug-16 14:40:31

Thank you for a copy of this book. It was easy and enjoyable to read, I read it in 1.5days. It wasn't as 'thrilling' as some books I've read before but the plot was interesting. I would've liked to read more about Alex suspecting someone had been in her house before the person was caught to make the book a bit more suspenseful. The person found guilty of Amy's attack wasn't really a shock but even so I still really enjoyed reading this book.

lottietiger Tue 16-Aug-16 08:30:34

I really enjoyed this book, I think it's the best I've read this year so far. I love the way it's told in short bursts by different characters, it makes it easy to pick up and not so easy to put down as you naturally want to skip on to the next chapter. Having an idea who may have hurt Amy just made me more determined to get to the end to see if I was right and it was enticing right to the end. Thanks mumsnet for the chance to try a new author smile

RoastieToastieReastie Thu 18-Aug-16 06:41:50

Thanks for the book mumsnet, just finished. Found this a nice easy to read book which I git through quickly and probably good for a light beach read or when you might get multiple disturbances from Dc as it's easy to follow and has short chapters.

I liked how it was written from different perspectives and from different times but I did find the whole story pretty predictable and guessed who did it very early on. It wasn't grippy in the same way I found 'Girl on the train'. I found the story perhaps more interesting as I live very close to whe the story was set so knew all the places mentioned (although a fair few fictional additions too) and liked the mention of the kitchen shop in the panties, which is the most amazing kitchen shop!

voyager50 Sat 20-Aug-16 23:23:55

Thank you mumsnet for the copy.

Many of the books I have read recently have been written from the perspective of different characters in each chapter or in different time periods - this book does both and I always seem to enjoy books written using these methods.

It is a good read and references things from my teenage years which makes it nostalgic in places.

For some reason Alex's blisters and sore feet get mentioned a lot - don't know if this will become relevant as I am only a third of the way through!

I also have an idea of who attacked Amy but I don't know if I'm right yet. I'm looking forward to finishing it soon.

juleslucas Tue 23-Aug-16 18:29:26

I really enjoyed this book perfect summer holiday reading. Loved the short chapter structure as it meant I could pick it up and down without losing my place.

Holly Seddon is a new author for me, so the review copy was a great chance to read something new.

aspella Tue 23-Aug-16 19:35:53

Thanks Mumsnet for my copy of the book Try Not to Breathe by Holly Seddon. I found the pace of this book slow and repetitive due to the chapters covering the same scenario from a different characters point of view and constantly going from the past to the present. Far too many clues given away at the beginning which meant I worked out who the attacker was far too quickly and easily thus the book ended up being boring.

katiebasey Tue 23-Aug-16 20:24:14

Just received my copy, look forward to lying out in the lovely sunny weather and reading it.

HowSoJoe Tue 23-Aug-16 20:46:07

Read this a few months ago, and found it interesting, but not really gripping. It felt a bit like a bandwagon jumper, with an alcoholic main character and a broken marriage behind her, and a mystery to be solved with memory gaps, but was by no means a bad book. I did guess the attacker pretty early on, though, which was disappointing. 3/5 stars.

kateandme Tue 23-Aug-16 22:14:14

i really liked this book but through no fault of its own this theme is getting to be a bit old.many books have jumped on the theme that went BIG after girls on a train etc and have done the same or worked round it.i want to find one with something new.i need some author to start the new trend,find the new BIG.
not saying thi wasn't great as I love the theme of it and books like this one. so it was perfect win for me and I'm very grateful

ElectronicDischarge Tue 23-Aug-16 22:20:25

I was lucky enough to win a copy if this,however I always review honestly

I loved the premise but without spoiling this, I don't think it quite reached that extra mile. A bit too much following the crowd

Was an interesting read but not something I'd rave about.

dalek Tue 23-Aug-16 22:40:27

Still reading this at the moment but really enjoying it. I like the different chapters from different people's perspectives. Generally an easy read. Will post an update once I have finished.

IreadthereforeIam Wed 24-Aug-16 13:46:22

I'm about halfway through and thoroughly enjoying this! I think I might have guessed 'whodunnit', but I'm now reading to see if I'm right. I like the characters, and it's becoming increasingly difficult to put the book down. This wouldn't be a problem as I work in a school and it's the holidays, but I'm doing a course at the moment, and my coursework is seriously interfering with my reading time!!
I'll post an update when I'm finished (the book, not my coursework!!).

ahigney Fri 26-Aug-16 11:57:45

Fast read,cold case rape and almost murder,told from few different perspectives.Enjoyable read,and pretty fast.Not sure about the ending and finally the revelation regarding the perpetrator.This character was almost non-existing up until the end,so felt tricked.All in all,the police procedures that were abandoned,were far fretched,and the study of methodical alcoholism are something i couldn't quite believe.

Bogwappit Fri 26-Aug-16 21:12:55

Thank you very much for my book.

It was a good read, which I enjoyed. So much so, I stayed up late one night to read, despite (as others have said) figuring out whodunnit, but wanting to know if I was right. However it seemed to fade at the end with a bit of a whimper. First book I've read in an age. I will recommend it.

IreadthereforeIam Sun 28-Aug-16 11:20:30

Finished! I thoroughly enjoyed this. I thought I knew who'd 'done it' halfway though, but I was wrong. Rather a twisty-turny plot! I liked the parallel story of the main characters battle with alcoholism too. It wasn't pathetic and 'I feel so sorry for myself', but at the same time it was clear what damage the alcohol had done to her physically and emotionally. The end was fabulous. I might have leaked from the eye region...

GERTA Tue 30-Aug-16 14:19:59

A very good read. Try not to Breath is telling the story through different angles and prospectives and as far as I am concerned something that previous writes have not explored before; telling the story also through the thoughts of someone who is in a vegetative state, how the victim feels, not knowing where she is, her thoughts, her fears and her struggle to speak and shout but not able to do any of these...i would reccomend this book as a good summer read!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now