Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Have you read Black Rabbit Hall by Eve Chase? Post your feedback by 17 August for chance to win £100 Love2Shop Voucher

(76 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 20-Jun-16 18:11:21

Our latest featured debut author is Eve Chase with her novel about families, secrets and untold stories, Black Rabbit Hall. Read Eve's excellent top tips for aspiring authors.

The four Alton children spend every blissful summer at their family’s Cornish home, a house nicknamed Black Rabbit Hall. But one fateful year, their idyllic world is shattered and four lives are changed forever. Will the truth of that dark summer finally creep into the light? Or should some secrets be buried forever?

To celebrate the paperback release of Black Rabbit Hall, we've got 100 copies to give away to Mumsnetters who want to read and share their thoughts about it on this discussion. Go to the giveaway page to find out more about the book. The giveaway is now closed.

You don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion. Anyone who has read Black Rabbit Hall can post their feedback here. If you miss out on a free copy, you can always buy a paperback. All who post before 17 August will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Michael Joseph

MermaidofZennor Mon 20-Jun-16 21:25:03

Have applied. Looks intriguing. Crosses fingers, hopefully smile

horseyrider Thu 30-Jun-16 11:29:15

Just received my email saying that I've won a copy of this book. Really looking forward to it as I love Cornwall-based stuff!

Eveninties Fri 01-Jul-16 20:00:43

Sorry but I really thought this book so incredibly dull. I was very excited to read it- it seemed to be exactly the type of book I love, family secrets, big rambling houses, duel time line- but I just found myself wishing it would hurry up and end. I just couldn't make myself care about any of the characters. Very disappointing.

1969angep Mon 11-Jul-16 12:53:29

Mines just arrived. Looking forward to getting started on it tonight 😀

Penygirl Wed 13-Jul-16 08:04:32

Mine came yesterday. 😀 Looking forward to reading it. I never get an email telling me I've won though, it just arrives.

Sarah3kids Sun 17-Jul-16 17:01:32

Having grown up on Virginia Andrews this book took me back to a time when kids played - instead of being "plugged in". It had characters, setting and a plot with intrigue - what more could you want. In many ways it felt like a familiar read (and in some places predictable) but it didn't matter. The book moved between characters & time effortlessly with simplistic descriptions which gave the book a real charm, a proper fairy tale.

A great holiday book - gets straight in to the story (felt like it could have been part of a bigger series - but was all done & dusted in one book) - I really enjoyed it and will be passing it on to my My Mum (as there was no swearing in it!!).

Thank you Mumsnet for my copy x

cosmicglittergirl Sun 17-Jul-16 17:09:50

Started well, and I was interested most of the way through, but the massive coincidence that was needed for the storyline me to work was too much. Also, without spoilimg anything, there was too much tragedy.

shelaghh Mon 18-Jul-16 15:58:07

Black Rabbit Hall is "a must -read" for anyone who delights in" thrilling devilish dramas".Following in the footsteps of Daphne du Maurier and Kate Morton. An excellent first novel by Eve Chase- WELL DONE.

1969angep Tue 19-Jul-16 22:41:51

I'm not sure how I felt about this book if I'm honest. The Alton family were quite interesting and well drawn (though perhaps over-drowned in tragedy) but I could't muster much enthusiasm for the "current day" character of Lorna. At around 2/3rds in I felt that I could clearly see where it was going and indeed things did head in that direction before taking a bit of a twist. What was apparent was that the female characters were the main players in the piece (the men seemed a bit weak tbh) and some of these women sure don't play nice!

All in all it was a easy read and whilst I liked it I didn't love it. A good holiday/beach read 😀

Persistentdonor Tue 19-Jul-16 23:01:19

Of the 28 books I have read so far in 2016, only 5 have received my seal of approval. "Black Rabbit Hall" is one of the few that I have thoroughly enjoyed. In this first novel Eve Chase has created a modern day fairy story, with a wicked step mother and plenty of twists in the tale. (Surprisingly it almost made me cry right at the end.) I am looking forward to the next offering from Eve Chase...... I do think if you like Kate Morton, you will like "Black Rabbit Hall".

Helsbels41 Wed 20-Jul-16 09:23:15

Thanks for my free copy Mumsnet! I really loved this book - I couldn't put it down until it was finished. Will definitely buy Eve Chase's next book!

foxessocks Wed 20-Jul-16 16:48:26

Just finished my copy so thank you! I really liked it. It was gripping and I really liked the character of Amber especially. I agree that there was maybe a little too much tragedy although there was some happiness too so quite well balanced reallhm. There was a moment towards the end but not right at the end which did bring a tear to my eye which is a good thing as I was clearly invested in the characters! Overall a great read especially for a holiday and I will also be passing it onto my mum as I know she'll like it too.

horseyrider Wed 20-Jul-16 19:49:03

Really enjoyable read. Good prologue at the beginning, incident in chapter four, a good build up in the book. Strong emphasis on loss in chapter eight, plot thickens later in the book. Good twist near the end.

RunningGingerFreckleyThing Wed 20-Jul-16 22:30:26

I really enjoyed it! Like 1969, I could see which way the story was going but it had a good twist.
Good book and would recommend. Thanks for the freebie!

Clawdy Thu 21-Jul-16 09:43:27

I was so pleased to get a copy of this book from Mumsnet, and thought it looked like a pleasant holiday read. It was actually a bit darker than that, very well -written, utterly gripping, and one of the few books I was sorry to finish. I was drawn to most of the characters, and even had the odd fleeting bit of sympathy for Caroline! Possibly the rather happy ending was a little far-fetched, but moving and poignant, especially that last paragraph.

daisyduke66 Fri 22-Jul-16 16:08:12

Firstly many thanks for my copy! This was a nicely written book, descriptive and well thought out. However, it felt too dark and was rather too full of sadness. Neither did I engage with the charaters. Without giving any spoilers, a story of emotions which eventually does have a little happy ending.Whilst I appreciate it for what it is, it would not normally be ' the book for me' as I prefer my escapism be somewhat lighter. However for those who enjoy this genre it would probably be a perfect pick!

BeautyQueenFromMars Fri 22-Jul-16 16:15:39

Ooh, I've read this - it was quite a while ago so I can't remember the exact details, but I do recall thinking it was very good. In fact, I'm pretty sure I whizzed through it in a couple of days!

CopperPan Fri 22-Jul-16 17:16:44

I thought this was a brilliant book, I read it over a weekend break and I think it's perfect for a summer read. There are interesting dual narratives, and the story is quite slow at times but the plot develops well and I enjoyed the descriptions of the characters.

Bobthatsafunnynameforagirl Fri 22-Jul-16 17:57:43

A quick and enjoyable read - I felt that the time switches were well handled, the plot predictable but satisfying - perhaps too much so? I do like a happy ending but felt this one almost unbelievably neat. Really liked the evocation of the hall in the childhood period, that feeling of being young and sharing/fighting over life/parental attention with children. For me that was the very best bit of the book, a really well observed, well drawn, beautifully written part.

hanliying Fri 22-Jul-16 19:35:35

Really enjoyed it but find the latter half less interesting than the earlier part.

AngelicCurls Fri 22-Jul-16 19:53:47

I really enjoyed this book-very well written especially the altons sections. The modern day bits were a bit chick lit like and perhaps let it down a bit in terms of quality and the ending was a bit too obvious but I really iked the older sections-it reminded me of Kate atkinsons life after life. Would definitely recommend.

Ladylucky99 Fri 22-Jul-16 20:40:10

Many thanks for this opportunity. I really loved this book and got through it very quick, wanting to get to the end. I felt like I really engaged with the characters quickly and really enjoyed the twist at the end. I found the sadness throughout soon made the ending a lot better. A well written, full of soul book.

boo2410 Fri 22-Jul-16 20:41:12

This book had me totally hooked, as other readers have said it has a brilliant gothic atmosphere. It has two storylines, the 1960's and the present. I loved the characters and found myself drawn into the book, which to me is what a book should be about. I switched off completely from the outside world and was there! It did remind me of Daphne Du Maurier and Dodie Smith who are both excellent authors. A brilliant read and the book has already been borrowed by my friend. For a debut novel it was fantastic and I can't wait for the next one. Oh I have to say also that I loved the cover, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but in this instance you can! Thank you Mumsnet for sending me the book.

busterj Fri 22-Jul-16 21:27:55

I thought this was a brilliant book, I read it over a weekend break and I think it's perfect for a summer read. My mother is now reading it now !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now