Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: The Museum of You by Carys Bray. Post your feedback by 5 August for chance to win £100 Love2Shop Voucher!

(86 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-Jun-16 16:56:17

Clover is looking for answers. She is searching for them in her mother's belongings, a collection of things that she hopes will tell the full story of her mother, her father, and who she is going to be.

From Carys Bray, the award-winning author of A Song for Issy Bradley, comes a tender yet funny tale of love and loss. The Museum of You will surprise, make you cry but also delight.

We've got 50 copies of The Museum of You to give away to Mumsnetters to read and share their thoughts about it on this discussion thread. This giveaway ends on 20 June so apply now!

You don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion. Anyone who has read The Museum of You can post their feedback on this discussion thread. If you miss out on a free one, you can buy a copy. All who post feedback here before 5 August will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This discussion is sponsored by Penguin Random House

AnonymousBird Fri 17-Jun-16 13:40:24

I've applied! Here's hoping as I give Issy Bradley five stars with bells on. Utterly brilliant.

IreadthereforeIam Fri 24-Jun-16 18:28:05

I've just had an email to say I'm getting a copy of this - I'm looking forward to reading it!!

Mozarmstrong Fri 24-Jun-16 20:41:13

This book is amazing read such intriguing thoughts and understanding of an historical event ultimately just was hooked

anonymousbird Sun 26-Jun-16 12:06:54

Oh boo hoo I think I have missed out again!!!

SlowJinn Wed 06-Jul-16 14:21:56

Just got my copy - looking forward to reading it!! Thanks Mumsnet. smile
Review to follow.

FernieB Thu 07-Jul-16 20:23:15

I absolutely loved 'A Song for Issy Bradley' so was delighted to receive a copy of 'The Museum of You' - thank you MN!

Carys Bray captures the voice of a 12 year old girl so beautifully you never doubt the authenticity. Clover Quinn tells her story of the events of her summer holiday as she tries to find out about her mother. Raised by her father since she was a baby, she had no memory of her mum and very little information except the odd nugget she manages to glean from the eccentric collection of friends, family and neighbours that surround her. As she sorts through the piles of stuff in the bedroom, she attempts to build a picture of her mum. At the same time, her father Darren, tells his version of the summer and the narrative switches seamlessly between the two as the messy nature of the various relationships are revealed. It's funny, warm and touchingly honest and a book I will definitely be recommending.

Oh, and the avid declutterer in me was itching to order a skip and get my hands on the house.

SlowJinn Fri 08-Jul-16 19:56:20

I loved this book, a charming, sweet story, portraying hope, happiness, love, all in the face of grief. I liked the way it was told from two viewpoints, Clover aged 12, and her dad, Darren, a bus driver in Liverpool. There was also comedic input from the deaf old lady next door. A thoroughly enjoyable story and I am now intending to read 'A Song for Issy Bradley'

Imfinehowareyou Mon 11-Jul-16 09:56:55

I love, love, loved it! Great style of writing which was crammed with detail yet easy to read. The characters are well drawn. The image Clover has about her mother from the objects she finds are revealed to be so very different when you learn the facts from her dad. I liked the museum exhibition idea - I never knew about all the work involved. I finished this yesterday (couldn't put it down at all) and despite it seeming a light read, I can't stop thinking about Becky. Her story is so intriguing. Such a sad and preventable death too. I will definitely be reading 'A Song for Issy Bradley'. Thank you so much Mumsnet for my copy.

CopperPan Mon 11-Jul-16 13:08:47

The Museum of You was a great read. It is a beautifully written story about love, loss, parenthood, friendship, family and growing up. Bray writes with such tenacity and clarity that you find yourself getting lost in the words and the stories of the characters she presents to you. The physiological depth she bestows upon the characters is admirable and for the majority of the book I truly felt like I was in Clover and Darren's minds - which led to a deeper empathy and understanding of their feelings and intentions.

anne262 Wed 13-Jul-16 18:59:30

The Museum of You was not my usual reading genre but I really enjoyed the book. The characters were likable and the story was really well written. Will be reading more from Carys Bray , excellent writing style , would recommend to all

shadydelta Wed 13-Jul-16 20:08:55

I have just started the third chapter of The Museum of You. This isnt my usual choice of book genre but so far i have enjoyed reading about Clover and her lovely Dad who seems to try his very best for his daughter. Overall i find it a very light hearted and family orientated book and would recommend it to all.

kitkatsky Wed 13-Jul-16 20:16:27

I haven't got too far with the book yet (damn life getting in the way!) but I'm so enjoying it so far. Thanks for the opportunity to review it MN. Hoping to come back and give more detailed feedback as soon as I get ten minutes to myself to read some more

cambridgemumof4 Wed 13-Jul-16 20:36:16

Delighted to receive the book - and to read excellent reviews above. Have packed it for my holidays so hope to immerse myself then. Many thanks Mumsnet!

poupee Wed 13-Jul-16 20:53:08

I received my book last week, a pleasant surprise as I had forgotten about it. Started reading it on my commute this week, its a good start didn't realise it was set in Liverpool as the description on the first page felt really American to me. Am interested to find out about Clover's mother, she isn't painted in a flattering light at the moment. So far I like the dad's character and Mrs Mackerel next door, am looking forward to completing the book by next week

whitestephens16 Thu 14-Jul-16 08:46:47

Thanks to MN for a free read. This isn't my usual choice of genre but I was happily surprised. Great story, engaging characters, poignant and heartwarming. Great holiday read - would recommend.

teddy2k Thu 14-Jul-16 14:43:53

Thank you to Mumsnet for my free copy. I thought this sounded very good "This Summer Clover Quinn wants to find the missing pieces of her story". The book was very well written, and I thought based on a very original idea, however I didn't really connect with this book, perhaps it was because it isn't really the genre I read. I also found that I expected more from it even though it was a good story. I warmed to the character of Clover, but Dagmar didn't really stand out, and I felt her character wasn't developed very well. There was humour with Mrs Mackerel and she did make me laugh. The relationship between Clover and Darren was very good, and also portrayed at times the difficulties of a 12 year old girl growing up without her Mother. I would definitely recommend this book if you want a sweet book to read.

juleslucas Thu 14-Jul-16 20:41:58

Thank you so much for the review copy MN.

I loved 'A song for Issy Bradley' so was delighted and looking forward to receiving this book and it does not disappoint. The story is charming but filled with descriptive detail, I can't explain it but I just love the way this book is crafted.

Not quite at the end yet but so far a great read.

mave Fri 15-Jul-16 06:20:46

I read a song for Issy Bradley and cried my heart out. I loved it! I will have to purchase this book and read soon!

ricola1 Fri 15-Jul-16 07:28:42

Enjoyed

izbiz88 Fri 15-Jul-16 07:32:42

Perfect holiday read - I was a bit annoyed with myself for not saving it for my holiday actually, haha! Very light-hearted, very engaging, and the characters are easily to like. Definitely recommend!

juju3 Fri 15-Jul-16 08:54:57

An amazing book - highly recommended

phillie1 Fri 15-Jul-16 09:15:13

Enjoyed this

janeyf1 Fri 15-Jul-16 09:26:38

Wonderful book which really got to me. I laughed and cried onto the pages

IonaAilidh11 Fri 15-Jul-16 09:49:01

really enjoyable read

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now