Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Have you read The Lake House by Kate Morton? Post your feedback by 5 July for chance to win £100 Love2Shop Voucher

(41 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 16-May-16 14:52:44

This month let us introduce you to Kate Morton, bestselling author of The Secret Keeper and The House at Riverton. Her latest novel The Lake House is a mysterious and enchanting tale of an unsolved mystery. You can find out more about Kate and The Lake House on the book page. Kate will also be answering your questions, we will post here with more info.

Alice Edevane is a formidable old lady leading a life as neatly plotted as the bestselling detective novels she writes. That is until young police detective Sadie Sparrow starts asking questions about what happened decades ago. Soon the complex tangle of secrets around an abandoned house and a missing child start to resurface.

You don’t have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion. Anyone who has read The Lake House can post their feedback here. This giveaway is now closed but if you missed out on a free copy, you can always buy one and all who post before 5 July will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2Shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Picador

Uzma01 Wed 25-May-16 06:29:47

Got an email yesterday to say I would be getting a copy. Many thanks, am looking forward to reading it.

voyager50 Thu 26-May-16 07:58:25

I was really hoping to win a copy as it sounds right up my street but i will borrow a copy form the library instead!

Susangilley7 Mon 30-May-16 22:28:50

Missed the opportunity unfortunately. Loved the Forgotten Garden and am sure this would have been a good read.

FoxInABox Tue 31-May-16 14:38:42

I love all of Kate Mortons books- in fact she is one of my top authors. The lake house is another beautiful novel, similar in vein to Kate's other books- beautiful old house and setting, stories mingled through the years. A years old crime at the root of the story- and an off duty Police woman determined to crack it. Fantastic reading as always. Can't wait to read Kate's next book.

SunshinePanda Wed 01-Jun-16 17:42:55

Received my copy - thanks. Looking forward to reading as I have enjoyed her other books.

FernieB Thu 02-Jun-16 20:55:36

Received my copy earlier this week - thanks. Just finished reading it today. I have achieved nothing all day except a small patch of sunburn on my arm from holding the book and completing the book!

It's a real page turner (and I normally dislike that expression). I couldn't put it down. Kate Morton knows how to tell a story and how to write characters that readers will like. There a lot of different threads in this story and it does jump back and forth in time, but I never found myself lost and followed it avidly all the way through. The descriptive detail was beautiful - I could picture the house and garden clearly. There were enough twists and developments to keep me guessing most of the way (although I had worked it all out by about two thirds in) and once I'd figured it out, I had to keep going to see if I was right.

If anyone's looking for a family saga type holiday read - easy read with a good bit of mystery thrown in - then this is for you.

BlackSusie2004 Sun 05-Jun-16 16:12:00

Thank you Mumsnet for my copy of The Lake House.
I found this a confusing read as it went back and forth and it took me a while to figure out where different characters belonged when they were re-mentioned.
However, despite the complex plot, once I got into it, it moves at a fast pace and eventually, in the end, all of the pieces came together and it was a good read.

MamaMummyMum Sun 05-Jun-16 20:39:52

I wanted to give this book 5 stars but I'm down grading it to 4 out 5 stars because ironically it fell short due to of how long the book was, as well written as it was I found it to drag a little.

Having said that the story itself was quite the page turner, so many twists and turns, just when I thought I had it all figured out my theories got turned on their head.

There were two stories running parallel in this novel, a case from back in the 1930's that was never solved and a case in the present time which seemed clear cut but was there more to it?

I think some might have found the story confusing, the back and forth between past and present but I found easy enough to follow. I guess I would say this is a book that you need to spend time on not one that you can easily dip in and out of.

The descriptions of the lake house were perfect, I could imagine the building and it's grounds, it was definitely a place I'd love to visit and I found myself immersed in what the characters were going through.

A clever crime/mystery, I don't think anyone can truly work out just what the hell happened to that boy all those years ago but like I said in the beginning I just wish it could have been edited to be just slightly shorter.

magolin Wed 08-Jun-16 10:41:39

Thoroughly enjoying it - very gripping.

LinForr Wed 08-Jun-16 21:08:07

Lovely atmospheric book. Well woven plot with complex characters. The setting is appealling and the surroundings brought to life through imaginative story line. Jolly good read

Lindsaym1983 Thu 09-Jun-16 09:08:16

I was unsure if I would like this book at first but within a few pages I was totally hooked and could not put it down, a real page turner! I loved the way the book covered two different generations and had so many twists in. I would never have guessed the ending. A great book that I would recommend to anyone.

Clawdy Sat 11-Jun-16 18:10:55

I was delighted to receive a copy of this book, as I have enjoyed Kate's previous novels. This one didn't disappoint. I enjoyed the introduction of Sadie Sparrow, and also liked the way I felt certain I had worked out the mystery several times, only for the solution to be wrong a few chapters later! For me, the only problem was the ending, which was just too neat! Far too many coincidences, and also a bit improbable.

RoastieToastieReastie Mon 13-Jun-16 12:38:44

Received this book from mn, thank you so much mn.

Found this book really good. Enjoyed that the story was told from different times and it kept me gripped. Very atmospheric and I felt really immersed in the surroundings and characters. I found some parts of the novel a little bit too convenient for the plot (although this is often the case in novels).

over40andmumtoone Tue 14-Jun-16 09:28:13

I finished The Lake House last night and I loved every page of it. The characters were believable and I loved the two stories which became entwined as the book progressed.

It's a family saga, with a number of really poignant moments and it's the kind of book that leaves you guessing right to the end. You think you've put all the pieces in place, and then, no, it's going in a different direction. I certainly hadn't got the final twist in the tale at all.

Compelling reading, from an author I really enjoying reading. A perfect holiday read this summer in my opinion.

SunshinePanda Wed 15-Jun-16 17:23:54

Finding it hard to get into this book although I think it may be the small font type when I am reading at night. Will try harder at the weekend!

daisyduke66 Sun 19-Jun-16 01:53:12

An enjoyable, nicely drawn mystery although perhaps rather slow to get started. Without giving away any spoilers, The Lake House is full of well drawn characters and there is, eventually, a good tale to be told. Not my usual book genre so it was refreshing and, once given a chance , was a page turner.

shaktar Mon 20-Jun-16 09:02:02

I really enjoyed this book - but agree with Mamamummymum that it did start to feel a little drawn out by the end.

It was very easy to read yet a refreshing change from the 'girl on the train' and more generic chick lit genres.

The ending wasn't earthshattering and seemed a little 'neat' but the narrative to get you there is definitely worth reading. Overall, it's really well written and at times a real page turner, just loses momentum a little at the end. It felt traditional and quite comforting to read yet also fresh - I'll definitely look out for her books in the future.

queenoftheschoolrun Mon 20-Jun-16 09:27:33

Kate Morton is one of my favourite authors and this was another great read from her. I particularly enjoyed the way the stories from different generations intertwined. Can't wait for her next book!

kaydeed Mon 20-Jun-16 18:05:45

This book was a real page turner, I could not put it down. Thought I may have found the book confusing with its back and forth approach but I was so engrossed in the storyline that I did not find this a problem. I have never read a Kate Morton book before but after reading this I will actively seek out a few other books she has written.

Marmaladeday Mon 20-Jun-16 18:11:16

I finished this yesterday and really enjoyed it. I always love books that hop around and thought that the story grew well. It was slightly drawn out at the end but overall it was compelling and I thought the characters were well fleshed out. It was very easy to fall into a good deep state of forgetting other people were around while I was reading this and the writing allowed my imagination to fully picture the story and characters.
This was the first Kate Morton book I have read and I will definitely seek out her other work now.
Thank you for the book!

dawnio63 Mon 20-Jun-16 19:45:57

Suspense, crime, mystery and family secrets with two time frames, I found this book excellent and a real page-turner.

Freespirit99 Mon 20-Jun-16 20:03:53

I was delighted to receive a free copy of this book and started reading it straight away. I found it a little slow to begin with. I am not really keen on books that keep jumping around with time, but as it was well written it didn't take me long to get into it. I have to say I was a little disappointed with the ending and found it a little to "pat" as if she couldn't quite pull all the threads of the story together. However, I would recommend it to friends as I enjoyed it and think it would make a good holiday read.

Pamaga Tue 21-Jun-16 08:21:24

I love Kate Morton's books so was delighted to be one of the lucky winners. Life has rather got in the way of my reading recently and I intended taking it on holiday with me but it is quite a chunky volume. Certainly from checking out the synopsis it is going to appeal to me and a glance at the opening chapter reassures me that it is up to her usual high standards. If only it was a Kindle version! Is there any chance that you could start offering Kindle versions as well as hardback ones as prizes?

bughead Tue 21-Jun-16 15:00:45

Really enjoyed the story so many twists and turns, one thinks it is going one way then it all changes. Loved the different time frames and very impressed with how they fitted together to form an amazing whole. Easy to read and will now read all of Kate Morton's other books. So fortunate to receive it, many thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now