Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Have you read The Marble Collector by Cecelia Ahern? Post your feedback by 27 June for chance to win £100 Love2Shop Voucher!

(31 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-Apr-16 18:08:31

Sabrina Boggs’ life is turned upside down when she discovers a mysterious box of her father’s possessions. She only has one day to unlock the secrets of the man she thought she knew.

The Marble Collector is Cecelia Ahern's latest novel and it is a touching and thought-provoking read about the very nature of remembering the past.

We've got 50 copies of The Marble Collector to give away to Mumsnetters who want to read and share their thoughts about it on this discussion. Go to the giveaway page to find out more about the book and apply for a free copy.

You don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion. Anyone who has read The Marble Collector can post their feedback here. If you miss out on a free copy, you can always buy a paperback. All who post before 27 June will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by HarperCollins

juleslucas Wed 11-May-16 10:53:45

Just found out I have won a copy for review. I had a quick look at other reviews on other websites and I am looking forward to an interesting read.

aristocat Fri 20-May-16 16:30:08

Just started to read this. Will report back when soon. smile

bogglebonce Sat 21-May-16 21:56:14

Wow what a wonderful book, it arrived on Thursday and I finished it on Friday morning, I just couldn't put it down. From the first page I was drawn into the lives and world of Fergus Boggs and how his obsession with marbles starts to how it affects his estranged daughter Sabrina. A great read for me 10/10 .

AngelicCurls Sat 21-May-16 21:59:39

Just finished this and quite liked it. It was an easy read-a good beach/holiday book!

The format of jumping between past and present is quite a common one now but I'm not sure if it's my favourite style as I find I get really 'into' the story and then it switches again. That said, it clearly served a purpose in the telling of this story.

I found the parts about the early life of Fergus very well written and enjoyable, with some sad parts, although these were somewhat glossed over. I warmed to all the characters (with the exception of Mattie!) and there were some lovely parts to these sections of the book. The present day story with Sabrina was a little far fetched to be totally enjoyable, it all seemed a bit rushed. I didn't warm to her as a character particularly, which was a shame as the 'past' bits of the story were much more enjoyable.

Overall it was a nice easy read, with some very engaging parts to it. And who knew marbles could be worth quite so much!

rachnicuk Fri 27-May-16 08:34:11

I absolutely loved this book. I couldnt put it down. Very moving and thought provoking as quoted by the Irish Independant. Made me think of my own dear mum who has just been diagnosed with Alzheimers and how important memories are to each and everyone of us. I have learnt so much from this book. Outstanding! Thanks to Ceceilia for writing it 10/10

horseyrider Fri 27-May-16 17:00:52

Interesting prologue about memory. Sad bit at the end of chapter three with the stillborn baby. Interesting part at the end of chapter nine. Not my usual type of read, but interesting about memory. Good bit at the end.

Crazybunnylady123 Fri 27-May-16 18:37:29

Just finished reading my copy and I really enjoyed it. It's not really the sort of thing I would usually read but it's an enjoyable easy to read book.
I think the story of Fergus growing up was more interesting than the life of his daughter Sabrina but I feel the book tied up well at the end.
The marble theme to the story was interesting a very original book and well worth a read.

FoxTeaParty Sat 28-May-16 23:41:04

Just finished my copy of this book. Having been a massive fan of cecelia aherns earlier books (ps i love you, a place called here, rainbows end ect.) I couldn't get into several of her more recent titles, so I wasnt sure what to expect with this book.

Although i personally didn't rate it as highly as i would with some of her previous books, I did enjoy it, particularly the parts of Fergus's past which i could of read a whole book on. That in its self surprised me as I would usually avoid books that have been based years ago.

Over all i would definitely recommend this book as an easy read. I would of liked some more details on certain parts but it mainly delivered.

cather Wed 01-Jun-16 15:12:55

Like FoxTeaParty I really enjoyed Cecilia's earlier books but stopped reading the later ones as they were a bit strange. I quickly got into this story and it is more like her earlier books and once I started I couldn't put it down! The story changes from past to present and I liked the way they alternated between a chapter in the past and then the current. The story is very cleverly written and I really enjoyed reading about Fergus's life and the marbles he collected. Sabrina's story wasn't as strong as Fergus's but I am sure most Mums can relate to it. I really enjoyed the book and would certainly recommend it

123roberts Wed 01-Jun-16 20:49:32

Very many thanks for my free copy, which l have just finished.Wow didn't l learn a lot about marbles!! An easy read and like AngelicCurls l am not that keen on the format of jumping from past to present,although l appreciate in this case it served a purpose in this story.l found it quite sad in places particularly how Fergus was treated by the priest and touching and quite cruel in parts.lnteresting but not my favourite kind of book but l plan to try another of Cecelia's bestsellers.

Clawdy Sat 11-Jun-16 18:03:03

I was pleased to receive a copy of The Marble Collector. I always assumed that Cecilia Aherne 's books were basically light chick-lit, so I was surprised to find some pretty dark aspects to the story. It was intriguing and well-written and I will be certainly looking out for her other novels now.

conhill Sun 12-Jun-16 09:18:50

I thought that this was quite a good, gentle holiday read and was a little bit different. The Fergus character was really interesting and the way it jumped to the past and present was very effective, revealing extra detail as the story progressed. I, like, other reviewers didn't warm to Sabrina - I didn't like her derogatory descriptions of the elderly at her workplace - though I suppose this reflected her state of mind at the time (so in a way it was quite effective!).

The marble theme was original and have found myself googling to find out a bit more about marbles..

labradoodlemum Mon 13-Jun-16 10:12:07

Thank you for my copy.
I haven't read any Cecilia Ahern before this but I will now. I really enjoyed this book - it was an interesting premise and I found myself caught up in the plot. The flashbacks to Fergus's childhood were particularly good and I thought the complexities of his character that came out during the book really touching and sad. Wasn't completely sold on the character of the daughter - she annoyed me a bit to be honest - and I couldn't really empathise with her. However it was a good, gentle read that kept me tuning the pages as I hoped to find out more about Fergus Boggs and his unusual yet ordinary life.

RoastieToastieReastie Mon 13-Jun-16 12:32:15

Just finished my copy of this, thank you for the copy mn.

I've never read Cecelia Ahern before so was interested to read. Have to say I didn't find it a particularly riveting read. It was a quick and easy read so would be a good beach book but I didn't find enough depth with the characters and found the journey of a daughter finding out about her father through the journey of discovery of his marbles just didn't quite work for me.

I liked how the chapters were from the father and daughter view and from different periods of time and I enjoyed particularly reading about the gathers time growing up and the relationship between him and his older brother Hamish. It also seemed exceptionally well researched with all of the info on marbles and games played with marbles (although I have to admit I didn't find that particularly interesting).

I found it quick to get through and only took a few days to read but I don't come away feeling like I particularly gelled with the characters or that any aspect of then have stayed with me like I find happens when I really enjoy a book and I'm not sure I'd dash out to read more of this author.

Sarah3kids Mon 13-Jun-16 16:55:32

Thank you for my copy of the Marble Collector - I was really looking forward to receiving a book from someone that I had read all their other books! However, was not sure If the story was going to grab me - the initial description didn't grab me and I thought it might be a bit dull - fortunately I was wrong - it always amazes me how someone can take a simple story and take it to so many different places.

Thoroughly enjoyed - I liked Sabrina's character (as a mother of 3 felt her pain!!). The past life of her Father was a joy to read.
It was a positive ending - I only wish that there was a bit more about the present - I would have liked Sabrina to have a show down with her Mother about Fergus' past.

I love that your books have depth without being heavy - a good quick read - I look forward to the next one x

Notthecarwashagain Fri 17-Jun-16 10:08:44

I love Cecelia Ahern, and always find her books really easy to read.

Although I enjoyed the story of The Marble Collector, I felt like something was missing, and agree with Roastie, I couldn't gel with any of the characters.

It was beautifully written though, as always, and I'll be looking out for more.

Matilda2013 Mon 20-Jun-16 16:38:06

Thank you for my copy! I've just finished reading this and it was a refreshing break from a lot of the crime/thriller books I have been reading at the moment! Was a nice relaxing read and will be recommending to friends and family

Scotmum83 Mon 20-Jun-16 16:38:46

What a great book, I love Cecilia Ahernes books easy to ready when you are a busy mum. Couldn't put it down. 😀

Lindsaym1983 Mon 20-Jun-16 16:42:50

I loved this book as it just so beautifully written. I found this book really easy to read and found it so irresistible that I just could not put it down & stayed up late to read on. This book would make the perfect holiday read.

RuthCart Mon 20-Jun-16 16:43:07

Looking forward to getting stuck into this book at the weekend. It looks great

GranAnn42 Mon 20-Jun-16 17:40:46

Found the story very confusing to start with, but as I settled into it began to enjoy this story. The daughter was really challenged trying to fill the gaps in her understanding of her father, especially when she found out his other name and identity. A good read

lynchoak Mon 20-Jun-16 18:12:59

Thanks for my free copy of The Marble Collector.
Quite an unusual story line but nevertheless I found it to be an enjoyable read. Jumping from past to present wouldn't be my preference but don't let that put you off, it's still worth a read. Didn't enjoy it as much as some of her others. PS I Love You is still my favourite.

Nanalou Mon 20-Jun-16 18:30:40

Thank-you for my copy of The Marble Collector. I have read most Cecelia Ahern books and thoroughly enjoyed everyone of them. This one however I was rather disappointed with. I found it slow and even a little boring at times. The end of the book was definitely better and more interesting, but still as I read it I always seemed to be waiting for something to happen and it didn't. Perhaps I just don't find marbles interesting!

juleslucas Mon 20-Jun-16 19:39:04

Really enjoyed this book, it was an easy read I especially enjoyed the structure of the book, I only get chance to read at night so the short chapters were great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now