Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Have you read Emotional Agility by Susan David? Post your feedback by 13 June for chance to win £100 Love2Shop Voucher!

(34 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 25-Apr-16 12:58:19

As part of our ongoing campaign with Penguin Life to bring you books to inspire healthy living, this month we present Emotional Agility- psychologist Susan David’s guide to a new way of living and relating to yourself and the world around you.

Susan David has found that emotionally agile people experience the same stresses and setbacks as anyone else. The difference is that the emotionally agile know how to unhook themselves from unhelpful patterns, and how to create values-based success with better habits and behaviours. With Emotional Agility, you can find out how to become one of those people: learn to face your emotions with acceptance and generosity, act according to your deepest values, and flourish.

We've got 50 copies of Emotional Agility to give away to Mumsnetters who want to read and share their thoughts about it on this discussion. Go to the giveaway page to find out more about the book and apply for a free copy.

You don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion. Anyone who has read Emotional Agility can post their feedback here. If you miss out on a free copy, you can always buy a paperback. All who post feedback before 13 June will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Penguin Life

Dannyday2015 Fri 29-Apr-16 21:03:36

Does anyone have any good advice on writing a good will? Who to go to etc...

Dannyday2015 Fri 29-Apr-16 21:05:56

I've got a mortgage, 3 children under 5 and a husband. Really need to get it sorted.

ninnytendo Tue 17-May-16 09:53:18

I received my copy (thank you very much!!) and have started reading it. I am on chapter 2 and I am hooked. It sounds really interesting and I can’t wait to apply it to my everyday life to be able to react to my work and life demands in a better way and get better outcomes in life.

midi1975 Tue 17-May-16 10:01:10

Really interesting book, although there are some areas I've not tapped into yet.Definitely something for everyone here, gives a lot of food for thought.

MrsRedWhite214 Tue 17-May-16 10:11:50

Certainly makes you think about what kind of person you are and understand your own thought processes. Whether it's easy enough to change is what will be really interesting! I look forward to seeing whether it makes a difference in time!

LittleBoxes Tue 17-May-16 11:33:46

My copy has arrived and am about to start reading it. I'm in a slightly bad work situation at the moment but a bit scared about making the break, so I'm hoping it'll give me lots of inspiration! Will come back to post once I'm into the book.

jowie Wed 18-May-16 00:30:31

I've recieved my copy, thank you. My DD1 is a highly sensitive child. I'm hoped that reading this will allow me to help her! So read chapter 10 first. I have now started again from the beginning and just finished chapter 1. So far I've found it well written and easy to read with useful advice on parenting, considering courses of action that may cause short term anxt but long term gains and leading by example. Gonna try and put some of this into action now

thriftymrs Wed 18-May-16 14:46:50

Little Boxes - I am in exactly the same situation and hoping this book will give me the confidence and inspiration I am lacking!

FernieB Wed 18-May-16 16:12:04

Just finished my copy. Found it very interesting - I don't usually read self-help style books but I do wish I'd read this when my DC were small. It all sounds very plausible and logical but I'm not sure how easy it is to put these ideas into practice in your own life.

Mughalswife Wed 18-May-16 20:29:38

I have only read about half of the first chapter, but can already see that this could be a very helpful book. It is making me think about certain thought processes I tend to get stuck in and I am looking forward to reading the rest. And it is very readable. Thanks for my copy!

hanliying Wed 18-May-16 22:46:39

Really interesting bad practical guide book

salmatt Thu 19-May-16 10:33:50

Just started reading this. Looks interesting.

lorka Thu 19-May-16 20:36:58

Thank you for my copy of Emotional Agility. Looks like an interesting read.

oneortwoorthree Fri 20-May-16 13:22:41

I am really looking forward to reading this but my mum has nicked it so I'm going to have to wait! Am hoping it will help me and my daughters. smile

cambridgemumof4 Mon 23-May-16 21:34:02

Very readable and practical. Well written. Probably will need re-reading and re-reading at different life stages....many thanks.

Tirtytreeandaturd Tue 24-May-16 13:06:36

Very interesting book. Has given me many coping strategies which I am hoping to use in my complicated and stressful life.

sjonlegs Thu 26-May-16 19:23:27

Blimey - such an interesting read! I feel like an emotional car crash - but hope that with my newly learned guidance/tools I'll be more emotionally agile in the future. I've harped on about it so much that my husband has already baggsied a read and I have a handful of friends in the wings- grappling for my copy. I've put a brief review on Goodreads bit.ly/1TZ0Wh3 and will most probably mention it in my end of month blog too - as one of the best things I've read this month. www.sjonlegs.com . An impressive read - if you haven't already read it crack on!!

smilingmum1 Thu 26-May-16 22:56:13

Fabulous book!
I'm delighted to have recieved it. It really has changed my thinking already. I'm not getting so emotionally stuck.
and it is really well written, easy to read and full of annecdotes, research and quotes.
Inspiring!

LittleBoxes Fri 27-May-16 07:37:20

I'm finding it a pleasant read but a bit unfocused - there is so much in it that I haven't quite yet got my head round which advice is relevant to me and which isn't (probably all of it, in reality!) Still not at the end though (currently on the Work chapter, which is rather helpful), so I imagine that it'll all become a bit more coherent in my brain once I've finished the book. But in general I'm enjoying it and finding it useful.

Mythbirt Sat 28-May-16 08:56:34

This is a book I will probably take a while to read (and may have to mix it with a bit of fiction) not because it's hard to read - I like the slightly larger font and the spacing - but because I'm recognising the behaviours and reactions which are set out in understandable ways. I'm spending time contemplating which is not my usual style of reading. It's a book I'll hold onto and which I feel I'll come back to again and again to dip into.

Reasontobelieve Sun 29-May-16 14:54:51

Thank you for sending me a copy of this book. I am not sure what to make of it, as it has got lots of seemingly useful advice, but I do wonder how easy it would be to put it into practice. It all makes perfect sense, but I feel that it is very difficult to exercise the level of emotional detachment that it required to follow the ideas in this book. I am currently facing a work- based dilemma, that I am finding difficult to resolve - but because the situation is so stressful, I haven't found the book that helpful. On the other hand, I did find the section that covers giving advice to children and teenagers very useful.

jammy388 Sun 29-May-16 20:52:34

Readable and realistic, with some interesting exercises drawn from seemingly robust research. Unlike many other self-help books this one advocates small tweaks as the way to make positive and lasting changes. It was a relief to read the author's opinion that striving to think positive at all times and actively pursuing happiness can be counter - productive. I also warmed to the author as she described her own struggles at times to be emotionally agile. I am now reading through the book a second time and having a go at some of the suggested exercises. I feel this is a good book to keep by me to revisit when challenging situations come up, a kind of handbook for life.

lazurda Tue 31-May-16 14:23:56

I had high hopes for this book as I would say I am one of those people who, even in middle age with plenty of life experience behind me, cannot seem to roll with the punches, and have a tendency to catastrophise. The title appealed to me as I feel it's something I lack.
I'm part way through the book and have to agree with the poster above that it is rather unfocused.
I've found myself sighing a bit, thinking "give me some new ideas, tell me something I've not heard before..."
I'm past the small children and teenagers stages now but I think I would have found plenty of useful pointers when my two were younger as it certainly wasn't all plain sailing.
Like most self-help books - and I have read more than my fair share - a lot of its content is really only common sense and the hard part is putting into practice, on a daily basis, what you read.
I'm thinking as I'm a bit older now, I must now have read too many and that's why I'm finding not a lot that's new or innovative in this book.
On the plus side, if you haven't read many books of this type, there are plenty of good ideas and it is written in a very approachable style, easy to digest.
The idea of "small tweaks" is really good and I can easily relate to that - slightly less impressed by the "see-saw principle".
I did find the sections on hooks and trying to unhook quite helpful but was less convinced by "showing up" and "stepping out".
Even though I've read plenty of American self-help books and ought to be used to the jargon by now, I was very irritated by the phrase "Walking Your Why" and on page 173, the phrase "the trick is to remain whelmed" and "Staying Whelmed".
I'm about two thirds through now, so will report back when I've finished the whole book, before 13 June.

FoxInABox Tue 31-May-16 14:35:57

Thank you for my copy, I really found this interesting. Hoping I can put it into practice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now