Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: Pretending to Dance by Diane Chamberlain. Post your feedback by 23 May for chance to win £100 Love2Shop Voucher!

(46 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 04-Apr-16 10:36:27

When the pretending ends, the lying begins... Molly Arnette is good at keeping secrets. Twenty years ago, she ran away from her family after a shocking event left her devastated. Now, as she tries to find a way to come to terms with her past and embrace a healthy future, she discovers that even she doesn't know what really happened in her family of pretenders.

This month we are delighted to bring you Pretending to Dance. Diane Chamberlain's new novel is an intriguing family drama about the disastrous power of secrets, as suspenseful as her other bestselling books Necessary Lies and The Silent Sister.
Prepare to be gripped!

Macmillan have asked us to find 50 Mumsnetters to read Pretending to Dance and tell us what they think about it on this discussion thread. Go to the giveaway page to find out more and apply for a free copy.

You don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion. Anyone who has read Pretending to Dance can post their feedback here. If you miss out on a free copy, you can always buy a paperback. All who post before 23 May will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Macmillan

frazzledbutcalm Mon 04-Apr-16 12:32:27

Have applied. Fingers crossed. smile

BigcatLittlecat Mon 04-Apr-16 12:45:08

I've applied. Sounds a good book.

ScarlettDarling Mon 04-Apr-16 16:22:08

Applied. Love Diane chamberlain so fingers crossed.

AugustRose Mon 04-Apr-16 17:46:25

I have applied, I love Diane Chamberlain too smile

Perfectlypurple Mon 04-Apr-16 20:49:31

Same. Hoping I get one. Love her books

Jillofnotrades Wed 06-Apr-16 09:21:55

Me too!

Jinglebells99 Wed 06-Apr-16 09:28:22

Ooh I love Diane Chamberlain's books too.

Fatrascals Thu 07-Apr-16 19:26:30

I've applied. Hope I get a copy and then I'll convince my book club we should read it as the next book!

FoxInABox Fri 08-Apr-16 11:16:44

Have applied, would love to read this fingers crossed.

Mozarmstrong Mon 11-Apr-16 19:18:26

Well different style this book.enjoyed the past secrets but not too certain I really enjoyed the entire book. Still very worthwhile reading.

Wings77 Fri 15-Apr-16 22:05:15

Thank you for the book, I received my copy today. Looking forward to reading it.

FernieB Sun 17-Apr-16 11:36:12

Thanks for my free copy. I read it in two sittings. It's pacy and keeps the story moving. I'm not usually a fan of books that keep jumping back in time but the fact that there was only one narrator throughout made it easy to follow. It's a nice coming of age/relationship story but is quite predictable in that I'd worked out the ending very quickly - there were no surprises. That being said its still an enjoyable read.

weathermum Mon 18-Apr-16 11:03:04

just received this book many thanks will start it once I have finished the one I am reading now

riverwell Mon 18-Apr-16 17:14:00

I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this book as it's not normally the thing I choose , but I found it suprisingly good and kept me engaged throughout. I would definately rec to others.

Wings77 Mon 18-Apr-16 19:21:39

Thanks for the free copy of this book which I finished today. This was the first ever Diane Chamberlain book that I have read, and it definitely won't be the last! I really enjoyed this coming of age and relationship story. It is not a fast paced book but simply a beautiful piece of story telling. A brilliant read.smile

liberatedwine Tue 19-Apr-16 10:21:52

Thank you for my free copy which arrived on Friday. I read it over the weekend and found it enthralling, a real page turner, and so very emotional in places. I would highly recommend it to anyone - and I especially liked the New Kids On The Block and Johnny Depp references grin

I am now passing my copy onto my sister who has been through the adoption process a couple of times and I know she will enjoy this book.

Another brilliant read, Ms, Chamberlain, thank you flowers

frazzledbutcalm Wed 20-Apr-16 12:29:28

Received my book yesterday, thank you mumsnet!!

Will read and report.

flso Wed 20-Apr-16 12:34:44

Great book - very predictable and made for fast reading, but easy on the mind so very relaxing! Definite beach material...

MamaMummyMum Wed 20-Apr-16 12:47:53

I've just finished reading this (thank you for the copy btw). I've not read anything from this author before so I was unaware of her writing style but the blurb had me automatically intrigued.

The story focuses on Molly both on her past and present, going between her teenage self to the adult that she is today, in a way they strangely entwine with each other.

There is an air of mystery in the novel all be it a tad predictable but the way it is written still has you turning the pages and it definitely makes for an emotional read. I won't lie, I was crying by the time I'd reached the last few chapters.

This is a tale that goes at a fairly slow pace, allowing the story to build gradually, I liked this as it allowed for progression and plenty of detail.

At the heart of it all was family and friendship and all the struggles of how we as people deal with certain situations and hard decisions. I felt it was all handled brilliantly and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this book to others.

ireadnovels Wed 20-Apr-16 15:37:57

Thank you so much for my book. Diane Chamberlain is one my favourite authors. Once I started reading the first page I couldn't put Prending To Dance down. What I love about Diane Chamberlain is that her books contain a combination of romance, family drama and suspence. This is Diane Chamberlain's brand new novel, not to be missed.

wallers5 Fri 22-Apr-16 10:10:47

Thank you for Diane chamberlain's Pretending to Dance. I started reading it & could not put it down. So many issues in there, from adopting, to teenage sex, family drama, & suspense. I don't like chapters jumping from the present to the past but it does make you concentrate & it seems to be all the rage. I will look out for another one of Diane Chamberlain's books.

AugustRose Sun 24-Apr-16 17:56:18

The first Diane Chamberlain book I read was The lies we told, and while I enjoyed it I felt it was a bit far fetched and not true to life. However, after reading a couple more of her books I was hooked. The most recent one I read (apart from this one) was Necessary Lies and the true history behind the story is heartbreaking.

Her stories are easy to read and you just want to curl up with a big mug of tea and sit there until you are finished and Pretending to Dance was no different. I warmed to Molly and Graham straight away, and although you know what is happening early on it doesn’t detract from the emotion you get from all of the characters. It’s a book about loss of innocence in two different ways while dealing with a difficult decision that many families have had to face.

As I was coming to the end of the story a close family member gave me some news about her health, while not currently life threatening there is the potential for it, or a stroke, if something goes wrong. It made me think about what she would want to do if in a similar position to Graham and I know she would probably make the same decision – albeit medically controlled.

As with all of Diane Chamberlain’s books I was in a hurry to know the outcome but didn’t want the book to end.

Thank you for sending me this book, I thoroughly enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it to others.

4isplenty Mon 25-Apr-16 07:30:48

I have not previously read any books by Diane Chamberlain, so I am not familiar with her writing style, or subjects. But I am so happy with this book I am going to plough through all previous novels, I love finding a new favourite smile
The story was engaging with two time lines for the same character. It was very easy to read, with no confusion when switching between stories. I am the same age so it was very pleasant to read and remember things I had forgot that I knew, and certain feelings ( my friends and I were also obsessed with THE Judy Blume book, you know which one, wink, wink )
I dont have personal experience with a debilitating illness, or adoption, but felt it was explained and thoughtful. Others may know more on these subjects so can confirm if was positive or not.
All in all, a very good read. I'm passing it on to my friends as I'm sure they will be as delighted to read it as I was. And I plan to use a bit of pretend therapy in my life to see if it makes things a bit easier smile

Thelilywhite Mon 25-Apr-16 09:42:01

I always enjoy her books and this one was no exception . I had many a late night as I could not put it down . I loved the way she writes about the angst of being a teenage girl and it brought back a few memories for me- especially getting out of my depth with older boys! I also thought the subject of euthanasia was very sensitivity handled and made me reconsider my previously strong views against. Yes the ending was a little predicable I agree however this did not detract from my overall pleasure in the story.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now