Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway- Julius Zebra: Bundle with the Britons! Post your feedback by 23 May for chance to win £100 Love2Shop Voucher!

(22 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 31-Mar-16 16:16:59

This month we are delighted to bring you Julius Zebra: Bundle with the Britons! This hilarious, action-packed romp through history is the second title in Gary Northfield's Julius Zebra chapter book series set in Roman times. In Bundle with the Britons!, the gladiator animals must win over the crowds of Britain before Emperor Hadrian will grant before he will grant them their freedom. Will they succeed?

With short, easy-to-follow chapters packed with jokes and illustrations, and brimming with Roman facts, it's the perfect adventure for children aged 7+, and of course for you too.

Walker Books have asked us to find 25 Mumsnetters to read Julius Zebra: Bundle with the Britons! and tell us what they think about it on this discussion thread. Go to the giveaway page to find out more and apply for a free copy.

You don’t have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion. Anyone who has read Julius Zebra: Bundle with the Britons! can post their feedback here, and all who post before 23 May will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2Shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Walker Books

poppy990 Mon 18-Apr-16 21:01:27

Thanks so much! My son really wanted this is as he loved the first book and he likes this one just as much so far (he's read 50 pages in one go!)

Hez2386 Mon 18-Apr-16 21:54:42

Arrived today. Looking forward to reading it with my nephew. He really enjoyed the first book.

princessgray Tue 19-Apr-16 16:52:41

Great fun book for children. I love all the facts at the back of the book. My godson is going to love this!

lorka Mon 25-Apr-16 13:08:57

A brilliantly illustrated book and a fun way to learn about the Romans. My daughter is enjoying this book. Thanks for sending it to us.

triniposse Tue 26-Apr-16 18:08:13

Thanks for the book, my son loved it and so did I!!!! The illustrations are great and the cover lovely and colourful. Absolutely hilarious, I was giggling like an 8 year old!!!

Pickofthepops Tue 26-Apr-16 21:13:04

Thank you for the book. We started reading it tonight. Definitely see the similarities with Madagascar. Eight year old enjoying it so far. A good intro to the Romans. Will post again when have finished it.

BearAusten Wed 27-Apr-16 15:02:35

Thank you for this brilliant book. We have been reading a chapter together after school. My 6 year old son thinks it is hilarious. The comic illustrations fit the story perfectly. Excellent introduction to the Roman period. I have already purchased Rumble with the Romans.

RussellB Wed 27-Apr-16 15:27:05

Really nice surprise when it arrived. Great illustrations and an interesting story.

FoxInABox Wed 27-Apr-16 15:38:57

This looks fantastic- really engaging, with many illustrations and a comic like feel. Can't wait to read this to my DDs

4isplenty Wed 27-Apr-16 16:16:36

We haven't finished the book yet but so far love the story, especially how the illustrations are part of the story and not just decorative, a nice touch. Will post again when we're done smile

Pugwash123 Wed 27-Apr-16 18:51:56

The book was ideal for my history-addict son. He loves the characters and humour in it and the clever illustrations add more of a sense of reality. Thank you for the book.

Brighty1 Wed 27-Apr-16 19:51:05

My daughter (age 8), started reading this the other day, but said it was boring so hasn't touched it since. I think we will revisit it together.

RuthCart Wed 27-Apr-16 20:45:58

My son and I have really enjoyed reading this book, haven't read any before so it was great to discover it. Great fun and beautifully illustrated.

TheCookingMonster Wed 27-Apr-16 21:18:48

Thank you for our copy of Julius Zebra: Bundle with the Britons. My ten year old son read this book and found it very funny. He is quite an advanced reader and said he thought that readers aged 5+ would enjoy this book. He liked the way the humans spoke to the animals and how they made Julius Cesar into Julius Zebra. He thought it was quite silly and this appealed to his sense of humour. He thinks this book could be read to younger children as a bedtime story. The characters were described in detail and he said he could picture them clearly in his mind. He would recommend this book to his friends.

Stujobohm Thu 28-Apr-16 06:19:09

Hi, we won a copy of this and my daughter and I have enjoyed reading this at bed time. She is history mad. What a great read

KiriJ Thu 28-Apr-16 14:12:04

Thank you very much for this funny and interesting book. My 2 are enjoying it and so am I 😄

pippasalimorgan Mon 02-May-16 21:20:47

I think Julius Zebra Bundle with the Britons was a very good book. The author was Gary Northfield. The book was about a gladiator zebra called Julius and his friends, Cornelius the warthog, Felix the antelope, Lucia the crocodile, Rufus the giraffe, and Milus the lion. Emperor Hadrian sent Julius, Cornelius, Felix, Lucia, Rufus, and Milus off to Britannia to fight. At first Julius thought they were going on their ‘holibobs’ but when they realised they were furious! I would recommend this book to people who are adventurous and are interested in history. I like it how Gary makes up funny word like holibobs. My favourite part of the book is when Julius and his friends dress up to go on holiday and Septimus their trainer is furious! I won this book to review. Pippa (8yo)

Wizotto Wed 04-May-16 19:16:24

My DD(8) has just finished it and her review is: Julius Zebra is a good book. I think it should be age 6 to 7. I think if you want to learn great English it is not a good book. Out of 5 it is 2. But is is full of humer (sic).

I had a a quick flick and the English looked ok to me... Varied vocabulary I thought - sauntered etc. I think it has just not captured her imagination in the same way as some other authors. She is currently reading a lot of Jacqueline Wilson and Enid Blyton. She also loves rereading the Wimpy Kid books and enjoyed reading Watership Down so maybe just not her thing...so will pass on to my DS for when he is older.

We won this copy for which many thanks.

voyager50 Sat 07-May-16 10:29:12

My friend's son loves zebras and history and he had a copy when I visited so I asked him about it and - he said "it was funny and I liked that the Romans were in Britain".

honeyharris Fri 20-May-16 10:32:57

I won this book to review. Although my son isn't old enough for it yet, I've had chance to have a look through it and think it could be something he would enjoy in the future. My husband and I both remember enjoying Roman history as children and the characters and humour make it engaging. I liked the way it was based on a zebra due to the play on words and the appeal of animals making it relatable.

agnapoop Thu 26-May-16 23:45:39

My daughter who is 6 loved me reading this to her. She enjoyed the characters and because it was written in such a way was able to remember a lot of detail. I would def recommend this as a book for learning about history.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now