Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: Polly and the Puffin 2 - The Stormy Day by Jenny Colgan

(38 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-Feb-16 16:59:48

Polly and the Puffin is Jenny Colgan's debut children's series following Polly's adventures with her best friend Neil the puffin. Perfect for children aged 5+.

Fans of Jenny's fiction for adults might recognise Neil from The Little Beach Street Bakery!

In the second book in the series, Polly and the Puffin: The Stormy Day, Polly and Neil are stuck inside on a rainy day and have to find ways to keep busy until they can go outside and play. Gorgeously illustrated and packed with fun activities, The Stormy Day is the perfect book for braving boring days indoors and reading aloud together.

Hachette have asked us to find 50 Mumsnetters to read Polly and the Puffin with their children and share their thoughts about it on the discussion thread below. Go to the giveaway page to find out more and apply for your copy.

You don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion. Anyone who has read Polly and the Puffin can post their feedback on the thread. All who post feedback before 4 April will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Hachette

olivia280177 Sun 21-Feb-16 17:20:55

We have the original Polly and the Puffin book and my little girl, Melody, absolutely loves it - so do I. It is such a bittersweet little tale with a really important moral. I felt a lump in my throat when I read it to my daughter. At the back there's some hilarious jokes, and Melody loves telling people those.

nashath Sun 21-Feb-16 21:58:45

Me and my niece loved reading Polly and the Puffin. It is definitely won of her favourites to read. I loved Neil the Puffin from Jenny Colgan's story The Little Beach Street Bakery, it was lovely to have a children's book about him. Love the friendship Polly and Neil develop. The illustrations are also a plus point and add so much to reading the book. My niece loved pointing at the pictures whilst i read the book to her. Overall a delightful read for both adults and children. I would highly recommend them!

weathermum Sat 05-Mar-16 12:39:31

Just received my copy I will post again later...many thanks..it looks really interesting

Jenni2legs Sat 05-Mar-16 14:51:17

I've just received my copy and I feel like I am looking a gift horse in the mouth to complain, but it was really over packaged. A small book was in a large box then plastic wrapped into the box - it could have easily fit into an envelope. If the publisher could look into some eco-friendly packaging that would be great smile
Saying that - I really look forward to reading the book this evening with my children.

jammy388 Sun 06-Mar-16 09:15:42

Thank you for this lovely little book, a good size for smaller hands to hold and very attractively illustrated. The quirky story had plenty of funny moments as well as gently exploring how it feels to miss someone you love. After the story there are suggestions for related activities, so all in all this book can provide hours of fun.

linheiner Sun 06-Mar-16 10:35:26

What a great little book! A lovely story which children can relate to, nice touches of humour and a happy ending (most important!) The part after the story is great too - Easy recipes which children can help to make, activities, a bit of education about lighthouses, familiar rhymes to say together and colouring. A surprising amount packed into a little book!

Leiajulie Mon 07-Mar-16 15:01:17

For a book aimed at children, I found it too dry and the language wasn't always suitably pitched. Also too many recipes , jokes and activites etc, so far it seems the book is as confused as me lol

Anitata Mon 07-Mar-16 15:30:58

I have just recieved my copy so not read it yet as reading another book atm. I have had a quick flick through and it looks really good. Love the pics and the layout. Cant wait to read it very soon.

angie95 Mon 07-Mar-16 16:52:37

Polly and the Puffin, is a lovely little book, with adorable pictures, and a really sweet story,
Polly and her Puffin Neil are watching a storm, blow in, and Polly is worried about her dad, who is on one of the boats, when suddenly Neil flies off into the storm, Now Polly and her mum have to wait, and waiting is the hardest thing to do!!
At the end of the story, there are pages of fun things to do and make, and a little bit about what a Lighthouse can do.
Loved the story, x

ktmd Mon 07-Mar-16 17:55:37

Polly and the Puffin by Jenny Colgan is the perfect size for little hands. Funny and a bit sad when Polly has to wait for dad, the lovely illustrations help tell this wonderful story. The factual info at the back and activity suggestions are an added bonus. Recommended read!

queenoftheschoolrun Mon 07-Mar-16 18:17:05

My DD was very excited to receive her own book to review in the post this weekend and couldn't wait to read it! It's a beautifully written, quirky little story which she really enjoyed and she loved the illustrations, so much so that she now wants to have a go at doing some drawings in the same style herself. The additional activities, recipes, poems and colouring in etc at the end of the book were a fantastic idea.

So, a great story, inspirational artwork and plenty of follow up material. What's not to like? We definitely recommend it and will probably buy a few more copies for gifts. Thank you very much for our free copy and introducing us to a new author!

redalertalpha Mon 07-Mar-16 19:10:22

Neil steals my heart in Jenny Colgan's Little Beach Street Bakery books so thrilled to have received a copy of this junior fiction book, its beautiful with colourful pages and not just a story but terrific recipes & activities inside too, perfect!

weathermum Mon 07-Mar-16 19:31:04

Just finished reading Polly and the Puffin...what a truly delightful book...I loved the fact it was a story, then a recipe, a colouring page, rhymes,activities,etc. So many ideas to keep a young one interested again and again. The illustrations are excellent as is the fact its a small sized book for small sized fingers..My grandson who is 5 will simply love this....thankyou so much for the copy...5 out of 5 I can well recommend it.

skippink Mon 07-Mar-16 19:43:09

Thank you for the book! It wasn't what I was expecting at all. I've never read the original but the book was fantastic. I read it to my 4&5 year old and they loved listening to it. The illustrations were simple but nice. I love that at the end it has poems,activities and recipes,there are not many books around that have a collection of things to do. I've promised my kids that we will do some of the activities ASAP.

kateandme Tue 08-Mar-16 07:32:23

another beautiful book. the cover had me wanting to dive right in their. the story one of the best. we all loved it.even the matcho males:D

katiebasey Tue 08-Mar-16 10:42:57

What a beautiful book, my children enjoyed reading it, and have read it to my niece and nephew, my niece is 13 and has Williams Syndrome, she was dancing and part acting some of the scenes ,bless her, my nephew aged 7 pretending not to be interested but he throughly enjoyed the story. What a delightful book. Thank you for giving us the opportunity of reading this lovely book.

Wizotto Tue 08-Mar-16 21:32:23

We were very pleased to receive a review copy. Thanks MNHQ and Hachette. DD (7) and I read it to DS (5). DD said it was babyish but was definitely engaged by the story at the time. DS enjoyed the story but not in a big way. They both found the orange illustrations hilarious. From my perspective, it is a sweet story which is a good length for a bedtime story. Good for younger children being read to and for early readers.

BearAusten Wed 09-Mar-16 10:44:34

A lovely book with a happy ending. My son (6) enjoyed listening to it for his bed time read. He was however slightly irritated by Polly's soft puffin being described as 'wrong puffin', especially as his puffin was listening to the story quite intently. I was rather surprised how short the story was, but this is a consequence that nearly half of the book is taken up with extra activities such as colouring in, baking,rhymes etc. Not too sure about this aspect of it. When it arrived, due its thickness, I thought it would be more of a chapter book than a picture one.

capercaillie Wed 09-Mar-16 10:46:59

We love the first Polly and the Puffin book. It's my daughter's favourite - she's 6. She dressed up as Neil the Puffin for World Book day last week! Can't wait to read the second one!

calcioqueen Wed 09-Mar-16 11:05:48

We received our copy of Polly & the Puffin The Stormy Day yesterday & my 5 & 7 year olds were very keen to read it! I read it to my 5yo daughter & bedtime & she really enjoyed the story & beautiful illustrations - her favourite part was when Neil came flying back out of the storm with Polly's dad following close behind. My 7yo son wanted to read the story himself & read the entire book. His favourite part was also when Neil flies out of the storm! He enjoyed reading all of the facts, recipes & activities at the end of the book too & his verdict was that it was very good book for 5-8 year olds & that there were no tricky words that he didn't understand. Overall verdict is that this is a lovely story with really nice illustrations & Neil the puffin is a hit! Well done Jenny Colgan smile

Danso Wed 09-Mar-16 20:39:46

We received the book on Saturday and at the moment my 5yr old daughter is reading the book to me. We both very much like the book so far and I love the simple colors used in the book. Will report back when the whole book is read!

polarpercy Wed 09-Mar-16 22:16:27

Such a lovely book, thank you for our copy. The pictures are wonderful and such a nice clear structure to the book

nushcar Wed 09-Mar-16 22:45:32

I really liked this story as did my daughter (5) and son (3). The appeal of this book is the setting in fishing village with a lighthouse, the cosy tone and the beautiful illustrations. I think I like the illustrations almost more or at least as much as the tale - they complement the story beautifully and help bridge the gap for children who are ready to understand stories beyond 'learn to read' books, but would be daunted by a children's novel that did not have any pictures. I think more books like this will really help the transition from picture books to young readers. I got through the story in two bedtime sessions with a 5 year old. It was a lot shorter than it looked as half the book is made up of nursery rhymes, recipes and activity ideas. This was a 'novel' (sorry...) concept and, whilst I appreciated the idea of linking the story to some craft activities and information, I did feel that what was bundled at the end of the book was a little incoherent. I imagine this story is pitched at 5-7 age group and whereas facts about lighthouses and craft activities might be interesting to a 5 year old, I doubt they will be interested in nursery rhymes such as 'Rain, Rain Go Away' or 'Incy Wincy Spider'. The first few pages of book also hands bit too much in parenthesis. Setting aside my pickiness above, a very heartwarming and sweet tale elegantly told both by Jenny Colgan and the beautiful illustrations.

todormirchev Sat 12-Mar-16 14:37:26

We've received the free copy of the book "Polly and the Puffin - Stormy Day", and I am really greatful for the opportunity to share this heartwarmig story of unconditional love with my kids. This is our first encounter with Jenny Colgan's books, and I have to say that my kids are very happy with Polly and Neil adventure. My son (2), is still too young to engage his attention with the whole story, but he is very amused with the wonderful illustrations, while my daughter (5), is very impressed with the storyline.
As a parent I highly appreciate the moral of the story, that implies the meaning of true friendship. The educational facts, fun pages and activities, cooking recipes etc. are additional bunus, that gives you plenty of ideas to spend fun and quality time with your kids on rainy or stormy dayssmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now