Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware

(64 Posts)
UrsulaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 18-Jan-16 12:17:34

Apply now for one of 50 free copies of Ruth Ware's new book and Richard and Judy's book club choice In a Dark Dark Wood.

This chilling new thriller has been described by The Independent as "the year's hottest crime novel". When Nora is invited to an old school friend's hen do, she thinks it'll be a chance to rekindle their friendship. But as the champagne is poured and secrets start to come to light, the evening becomes rather more sinister than expected...

Vintage have asked us to find 50 Mumsnetters to read In a Dark Dark Wood and tell us what they think about it on this discussion thread. Go to the giveaway page to find out more and apply for a free copy.

You don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion. Anyone who has read In a Dark Dark Wood can post their feedback here, and all who post before 7th March will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2Shop voucher.

Don't worry if you haven't finished reading. Feel free to drop in at whatever point you've got up to and give your fellow readers your first impressions about the story, characters, writing style.

This giveaway is sponsored by Vintage

ktmd Mon 18-Jan-16 18:01:11

This modern thriller is very unusaul. It twists and turns from the word go and you don't know who to trust. Undercurrents of jealousy and sly comments from the characters build up to a sinister climax. This is a must read.

barricade Mon 18-Jan-16 19:46:03

At last ... a new crime thriller on offer. Have just applied, would so love to win this!

Lariflete Tue 19-Jan-16 09:29:31

This sounds brilliant - I hope I win a copy!

SparklingFuturesTuition Tue 19-Jan-16 11:23:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SparklingFuturesTuition Tue 19-Jan-16 11:28:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ScarlettDarling Tue 19-Jan-16 22:11:06

Sounds right up my street!

noscat Fri 22-Jan-16 13:55:49

Have applied, fingers crossed smile

hlc123 Tue 26-Jan-16 14:11:55

Just had an email to say I have won a copy of this book, many thanks

Pebbles574 Tue 26-Jan-16 15:10:35

Yay! Just had an email to say I'm being sent one of these books - excellent! I heard an interview with the author here and thought it sounded really interesting.

aristocat Fri 29-Jan-16 14:15:55

One of these on its way to me too smile Will report back once I have it

daisyduke66 Sat 06-Feb-16 01:21:34

I was lucky enough to win a free copy of ' In a Dark, Dark Wood' by Ruth Ware. Many thanks. Here is my short review.
A chilling story unfolds cleverly and in entirely believable circumstances. So believable,in fact, that the reader actually imagines herself in that scenario. Without giving any spoilers- a gripping read and so tense that it becomes utterly claustrophobic. A must read - from one who usually confines herself to the cosy crime variety! Bravo Ruth!

RoastieToastieReastie Sun 07-Feb-16 15:37:06

I was also lucky enough to receive a copy of this. It arrived on Friday and I've already finished it, which is unusually fast for me, so that's a testament to what a page turner I found this.

I found it easy to read and quick to get me clawed into the story. It's the kind of story I wanted to see what happened next ('just one more page' and 'just one more chapter' and a late night last night whilst I kept wanting to read on) and felt the tension when reading it, however, I did guess from pretty early on the culprit, so from that perspective found it a little transparent, but it didn't stop my enjoyment of the story.

Thank y for a copy of the book which I may not otherwise have chosen.

SciFiFan Sun 07-Feb-16 15:52:13

Wow, such a good story. I was hooked from the first few pages and barely put it down until I'd finished it. The characters were believable and well drawn. The atmosphere of looming terror and unknown fears kept me gripped. I would definitely recommend it

LizO123 Mon 08-Feb-16 09:55:06

Great, gripping, couldn't put it down, very quick read. Very atmospheric, I'd read Ruth Ware again.

Gherkinsmummy Mon 08-Feb-16 16:32:56

Thank you for the copy of In A Dark Dark Wood. I thought the atmosphere of the novel was actually a bit overwrought; all the characters were dislikeable and I found it hard to suspend my disbelief. It's an easy read though, entertaining enough.

delbs Mon 08-Feb-16 16:40:23

I was lucky to win a copy of "In a dark, dark wood", and have found it very difficult to put down. I haven't quite finished it as these days I'm not permitted to stay in bed all weekend reading.
I can't wait for bedtime so I can finish it!

redalertalpha Mon 08-Feb-16 16:45:20

My copy has arrived, can't wait to get reading!

whatwoulddexterdo Mon 08-Feb-16 17:02:54

This is really good, especially for a debut. Very easy to read, ramps up the tension with a very believable lead character, Lenora. I really enjoyed this and finished it really quickly.

LinzerTorte Mon 08-Feb-16 17:10:02

I love psychological thrillers so was excited to receive a copy of this book. It was a real page turner, which I read it in just over a day. Fast paced, very atmospheric and an easy read (although I did find the ending slightly predictable).

piebald Mon 08-Feb-16 17:11:47

A good fast and gripping read

minsmum Mon 08-Feb-16 17:12:58

I received this on Friday, thank you very much. Even though I have had a very busy weekend I am absolutely rushing through it. It's very absorbing I am about halfway through it and might very well finish it tonight. The tension is rising and I am not sure what is going to happen but there is a palpable sense of dread. I loved how she described the house in the woods. I will post more when I finish

cavylover Mon 08-Feb-16 17:33:54

This book gripped me from the start and when this happens I usually finish a book very quickly and in this case finished it in one day. It keeps the attention with interesting well-written characters and the build up of tension throughout. Just the right length too with no plodding. Thanks very much!

lcMog Mon 08-Feb-16 17:43:20

Hi I've been lucky enough to win this book too and I've only read a few pages but I'm hooked already . Will add more info after I've read it . Thankyou

StealthPolarBear Mon 08-Feb-16 17:47:11

I loved this book and like others read it really quickly. Again I guessed who did it (tho fairly near the end) but didn't get the twist, which was really good. I went straight on the ipad to look for more books by Ruth ware when I'd finished, and will definitely buy her next one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now