Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: The Worst Witch

(24 Posts)
UrsulaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 26-Oct-15 16:43:41

Celebrate over 40 years of magical mayhem with Mildred Hubble by introducing your little ones to The Worst Witch! Halloween is a very special time at Miss Cackle's Academy so we've got 50 copies of The Worst Witch colour gift edition to give away!

To find out more and apply for your free copy, visit the giveaway page.

This giveaway is sponsored by Puffin

kimlo Fri 20-Nov-15 17:02:59

I just got this this morning. The pictures look good, and it seems to be just the right length for dd2 who is 6. Im looking forward to reading it together when we have finished the book we are currently reading.

purplemonstermum Fri 20-Nov-15 20:15:59

thank you - my copy came today. Looks lovely - i read the first chapter myself and am looking forward to reading it with DD(7), if she doesn't get there first!

LeighAO Sat 21-Nov-15 13:54:07

I loved The Worst Witch as a kid and this special hardback picture edition is a lovely gift that I can give to my own little one to share the magic of the disastrous but lovable Mildred Hubble. This really is a beautiful edition that would make a brilliant gift and the artwork means that it will be a joy to read with a youngster even before they're old enough to read the book by themselves.

Hez2386 Sat 21-Nov-15 22:34:12

My copy arrived today. It's a beautiful edition of the book, with lovely artwork. Read the first couple of chapters with my niece who loved it. Looking forward to finishing it with her😊

CheeseAtFourpence Sun 22-Nov-15 08:30:15

Received my copy on Friday. Gorgeous looking book. I planned on reading a chapter a night to my DD (4) as didn't think she would be able to concentrate for more than that.

She picked it up to bring into my bed yesterday morning and we read 4 chapters. At the end of each one she asked for more. And the first thing she has asked this morning is where the book is!

So we are giving this a big thumbs up! It's easy to read and DD wants to know what's going to happen next.

mazgoli Mon 23-Nov-15 20:43:55

This book is beautiful. I love that it's a hardback. It's nice enough to give as a Christmas present actually, although I shall be hanging on to mine to share with my grandchildren. The worst witch is a lovely character and the illustrations in this book are great.
Looking forward very much to reading this with the little ones.

Figurine Wed 25-Nov-15 18:46:57

I loved this book! I remember reading the worst witch as a child so was excited to read when dd for home from nursery.

I read this with my daughter who's 4 she loved it, reading it over about 3 nights. She loved the pictures and that really helped keep her concentration and we chatted about some of them as well sort of what the pictures showed about how the names of some of the characters matched the way they looked and how they behaved in the story. I think it's great that it will sort of grow with my daughter, so at the moment she loves the story and as she gets older she will be able to read it herself and it won't be to young in content.

Definitely a great success with us!

Pickofthepops Sat 28-Nov-15 23:05:53

Such a gorgeous book, thank you. Am keeping it for my 14 month old Dd but dS age nearly eight was also a big worst witch fan, like me
When I was little. We love the picture colours, it
Really brings the story to life.

Absolutely gorgeous. A classic moe
Beautifully updated.

Thank you again!

polo3 Wed 02-Dec-15 09:01:21

Beautiful book. I read it as a child myself.
My 2 children aged 6 and 7 were absolutely absorbed and would have liked me to read the whole book in one sitting.
The pictures are perfect, just as I would imagine Mildred Hubble to look.

Many Thanks

sjonlegs Sun 06-Dec-15 14:32:44

My 7 year old daughter devoured the book in one sitting, reading independently and thoroughly enjoyed it!

A lovely book, with great visuals and easy to read text.

Thanks for the opportunity!

Goonergirl1 Mon 07-Dec-15 20:36:52

A really beautiful copy of a great book.

I loved reading this as a child and it is giving me just as much pleasure, second time around, reading it to my children. A great story, the original Harry Potter ;)

Thank you so much.

Andrews55 Thu 10-Dec-15 13:56:03

Thank you for my copy of this book, which is the first in the series of The Worst Witch books, and which is an absolute delight to read.
Mildred Hubble is a pupil at Cackle's Academy for Witches and is proving to be short of the mark. Everything goes wrong for her - even when the cats are being given out, everyone receives a black cat except for Mildred, who gets a tabby cat. Her teachers despair of her. Will she ever become a witch?
This is a very charming story and ideal for children embarking on their adventure into reading independently.
I particularly liked the colour illustrations. At the end of the book is a letter to the reader from Jill Murphy, explaining how this is the fortieth anniversary of the Worst Witch and how she had been asked to re-illustrate it in colour. It is incredible to read that one picture took a week and a half to get right! What dedication!
I hope that Jill Murphy will illustrate the entire series in colour and bring them out in hardback for future generations of children to enjoy.

Reebs123 Mon 14-Dec-15 18:57:43

I loved this book as a child and now as I read it to my 5 year old daughter I can see why. My daughter enjoyed listening to this story. This beautiful anniversary edition is a keepsake with new coloured illustrations. Mildred is always getting into trouble despite trying her best. A lovely character some kids can identify with but one that all kids will adore.

Reebs123 Mon 14-Dec-15 18:58:59

P.S Thank you very much for our copy! I love it as much as my 5 year old daughter!

REVLAI Mon 14-Dec-15 20:20:49

Thank you so much for this book. My daughter and I enjoyed reading it together. I have never read 'The Worse Witch' series before and we really enjoyed it. The book is very beautifully presented and the pictures are so lovely. I would say it would make a lovely gift. The chapters are long enough to hold a young child's concentration.

The book has certainly made us wanting to read the other books in the series.

purplemonstermum Mon 28-Dec-15 12:15:12

We've now finished the book. My daughter read most of it independently but we finished the final 2 chapters together. It's beautiful and very funny! Thank you - the illustrations work well to hold a child's attention.

AlisonJB Wed 30-Dec-15 13:52:29

I've been hanging onto this to give to my 7YO DS as a stocking filler - although I have to confess to reading it from cover to cover when it arrived. It's a beautiful edition and the illustrations are lovely. I remember reading the books as a child and was interested to see if Mildred appealed to boys as well as girls, but DS1 loved it and we read several chapters together at the first sitting. Thoroughly recommended - thank you so much for sending me one!

Susan74 Mon 04-Jan-16 17:33:29

Lucky enough to receive a copy of this lovely book. The illustrations are beautiful and really bring the story to life. My two boys (6 and 7) loved having it read to them, a chapter every night, at bedtime. It's become a firm favourite. Very well written and I enjoyed reading it as much as they enjoyed listening!

GranAnn42 Mon 04-Jan-16 18:02:23

Looks a good book. Have passed it on to Granddaughter who is 8, for a stocking filler

PotteringAlong Mon 04-Jan-16 18:03:38

My parents took me to see the musical of this in Birmingham when I was little. Loved it!

nushcar Sat 09-Jan-16 17:29:01

I remember hearing of The Worst Witch when I was at primary school in the 80s, although I had never read it myself. I loved this story, as did my 5 year old daughter, for whom it had just enough illustration to keep her interest and fill the blanks for the parts of the story she might not otherwise grasp. The illustrations are lovely and convey the characters and atmosphere of the Academy well. As the book began explaining the goings on at a witch boarding school and skills they would have to master, I started to wonder just how much the genesis of Harry Potter was influenced by this story. This story has all the gripping tenets of coping in a school, away from parents and family, in a strict environment, where strong friendships matter and there is always a 'class enemy' to overcome, combined with the lure of potions, spells and magic! An encouraging ending with a moral arc and can even spellbind younger readers 5 upwards if they are read to a chapter per night for example.

I was picked by MNHQ to review this book, which I received for free. This review is in my own words and reflects my true opinion.

DartmoorDoughnut Sat 14-May-16 07:23:57

I absolutely loved The Worst Witch as a child and was delighted to receive a copy of the book. It is beautiful, the illustrations are fab and really add to the book - I particularly love the ones of Tabby, the expressions are fantastic!

I've been reading it to my DS but he's a bit young - not yet 2 - so basically I'm reading it for myself and loving it all over again!

voyager50 Sat 14-May-16 10:30:32

I loved this book when I was little - it was made into a tv series that my sister and I would enjoy watching together. I'm so pleased it is still in print for today's children to read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now