Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: Goth Girl and the Wuthering Fright by Chris Riddell

(19 Posts)
UrsulaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 19-Oct-15 17:02:48

Chris Riddell brings us the fourth in the beautifully illustrated Goth Girl series. Everyone is gathering from far and wide for Lord Goth's Literary Dog Show, but whose are these mysterious footprints? And where are those midnight howls coming from? Ada and the attic club go in search of answers.

We've got 50 free copies of Goth Girl and the Wuthering Fright to give away!

To find out more, and to apply for your copy, go to our giveaway page.

This giveaway is sponsored by Macmillan

frogletsmum Sat 07-Nov-15 13:29:30

DD and I were thrilled to receive a copy of this as we both love Goth Girl! Thank you and will pop back with a review soon.

Maddaddam Sat 07-Nov-15 14:58:51

Dd3, aged 11, was very pleased to get this 3rd book in the series, she read the book immediately and here is her review:

It was really good and things came up when you are not expecting it and I really liked the way it said things that had happened in the other books. I am excited to read the one afterwards.

??????????????????????????????????????????????

cathisherwood Sun 08-Nov-15 12:14:28

I havent read previous books in this series but that didnt spoil the story at all. A beautifully produced shiny book with its own bookmark and secret back pocket with lots of little footnotes and loads of illustrations - how can it fail to appeal. I think you have to be a certain age to appreciate all the literary references but any child would enjoy this funny and fast paced story. Thank you for my free copy - it will now be passed through all the children in the extended family

maria411 Fri 13-Nov-15 16:09:02

Received the copy of Goth girl and the Wuthering Fright, it is absolutely delightful and my niece will love it. xx

Teresainwirral Sat 14-Nov-15 19:15:24

Thank you for this book, I read it with my 11 year old, most of the literary references where unknown to her not that they hindered understanding of the plot but I enjoyed them, nice to read aloud a story that appeals to reader and listener.

Scripette40 Tue 17-Nov-15 16:31:32

I received Goth girl book and my daughter enjoyed it so much she is reading it again.
My niece is also reading it.
It is a book you can enjoy reading aloud with eachother.
Totally delightful book

cornflakegirl Tue 17-Nov-15 21:49:55

Thank you for our copy of Goth Girl and the Wuthering Fright.

DS1 (10) says:
This is a book about a girl and her father. They organise a dog show for dogs and famous authors (their names hilariously misspelt). But along the way, strange things happen, including a mysteriously chewed shoe.
I would recommend this to anyone that like a nice laugh.
10/10

I loved the look of the book - as a PP said, it's beautiful and shiny and has gorgeous illustrations and feels like a book to treasure. And I'm a big fan of Chris Riddell as an illustrator, so I really wanted to like this book. In the first few pages, I loved all the references to Lord Byron and Charles Babbage (which I'm pretty sure DS1 didn't get), and the allusions to various authors (some of which he did get). But as the book continued, I felt like the allusions were getting in the way of the story. I love Terry Pratchett, so I'm absolutely not averse to clever references (half of which I probably don't even notice) and even to plots being largely nicked from other works. But Goth Girl seemed to be sacrificing the plot to the jokes, and I just wanted it to get on with the action.

However, I'm not the target audience, and as mentioned above, DS1 loved it. And if it makes him want to find out about even a tenth of the things referenced, it'll keep him busy for a while. And did I mention that the illustrations are gorgeous?

Soupswoop Sat 21-Nov-15 19:10:19

Thank you for our free copy of Goth Girl and the Wuthering Fright.

DS2 (aged 9) loved the beautiful production of the book, the blue edging and the gold skeletons on the cover. He also liked the "teeny weeny book" in the back cover.

He said,

"My favourite part was when Goth Girl found Professor Cabbage spinning a hoop when she went into his room. I liked that part because it was really funny, people like that don't usually do silly things like spin hoops."

"It was a really exciting story and it's quite weird because it has odd things in it like the contraption for transporting pies across the table."

BlackSusie2004 Sun 22-Nov-15 14:24:17

Thank you for the copy of Goth Girl and the Wuthering Fright. I was immediately impressed with the quality of the book with the blue gilt effect edges and the skull effect on the inside covers, it had a very expensive feel to it.
The book itself was a quality read too and the illustrations were excellent. I loved the references to historical and literary figures, but felt this would maybe a little lost on the age group the book is intended for, although it would not get in the way of their understanding the story. The characters were a little eccentric and 'off the wall' and the dog show was brilliant!

A book I'd certainly recommend, and I'm going to have to read the first two books in the series now!

MamaMummyMum Tue 01-Dec-15 06:29:50

My eldest daughter has just turned 10 and she was the one reading this book. I've always liked the look of this series as the book itself is so wonderfully presented.

Having read the first in this series my daughter was quick to get stuck into this and read in 3 days. She really wants the second one now to complete her set and said that she's recommend it to anyone around her age.

I had a flick through myself and what stuck out for me was the illustrations. What a lovely way to really bring the story to life!

R0078 Thu 03-Dec-15 23:28:09

thank you for my prize of The Goth Girl and Wuthering Fright . It is a beautiful book and I am sure it will be loved by Charlee when she receives it at Christmas. Beautifully bound and illustrated

lorka Sat 26-Dec-15 16:53:05

I gave this to my daughter for her Christmas. She absolutely loves the shiny blue edges of the pages and the brilliant illustrations. She also liked the teeny weeny book, 'History of a Hound', in the back of the book. She started reading the book last night and is enjoying it. smile

Pigeonpea Tue 29-Dec-15 15:10:04

This book is beautifully!
It's beautifully written and illustrated - we especially liked the 'History of the Hound' at the back!
Great historically references and generally a great read

Thank you so much for our copy of this beautiful book. DS is going to read it this weekend so I'll be back with his thoughts smile

Anng Sun 03-Jan-16 12:09:51

I was picked by MNHQ to review this book, which I received for free. This review is in my own words and reflects my true opinion.

My daughter has read all the previous books and was delighted to receive this one too. She started it immediately and thoroughly enjoyed it! She has recommended it to her friends.

MamaMummyMum Sun 03-Jan-16 17:55:30

My 10 year old daughter had the previous books in the series and was eager to read the latest story. She has been reading it over the Christmas holidays and she says that it didn't disappoint.

What stood out for me was the illustrations, these start straight away on the beautiful hardback cover, it looks rather magical.

I had a read myself and although I haven't read the previous books, the writing allowed me to get stuck in without any prior knowledge of characters within the book.

I'd say this book works well for children aged 8 and up, appealing to anyone who likes a bit of magic and mystery.

Mcnorton Wed 06-Jan-16 12:12:35

My 7 year old has loved the Ottoline books by Chris Riddell so I thought he'd enjoy this too - thanks to Mumsnet for the free copy! He has been weirdly reluctant to read it though, which I don't think is a reflection on the book (but is an explanation of why I have been so tardy in reviewing).

I've enjoyed it as a clever, thoughtful tale and loved the literary in-jokes and the beautiful illustrations that seem to offer more detail each time you go back to look. I think he is struggling with the language a little and he will appreciate it more when he is a bit older. We haven't read the previous Goth Girl books but I didn't find that a barrier to enjoying it. I hope to post again in a few months when he has given it another go.

Whitecoconut Sat 13-Feb-16 22:11:56

My 11 yr old dd was very happy to receive this book. This is what she thinks.

"When I first got this book the shiny blue outline of the pages were the first thing I liked. Once I read through it I found the story line quite interesting to read and continuously kept on reading. The illustrations were beautiful."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now