Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: Timmy Failure

(9 Posts)
UrsulaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 12-Oct-15 12:21:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

UrsulaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 12-Oct-15 12:26:44

The kid detective is back!

Timmy Failure find himself on the run with notorious criminal Molly Moskins in his fourth adventure in Stephan Pastis' award-winning series, and he has a case to solve but travelling halfway across the country to help your mother's boyfriend settle into his new job would be inconvenient for any detective, let alone the founder, president and CEO of Total Failure Inc. - the world's greatest detective agency. How will he manage?

Perfect for fans of Wimpy Kid and Barry Loser.

We've got 50 copies to give away! To find out more and apply for your copy, visit the giveaway page.

Remember, if you're lucky enough to receive a copy, we do kindly ask that you write us a review in our reviews section or join the discussion below.

This giveaway is sponsored by Walker

AdmiralSnackbar Mon 09-Nov-15 11:49:46

Thank you so much for our copy of this book.
We were lucky enough to receive the first Timmy Failure book last year from Mumsnet and ever since my DS (8) has been hooked! He has read the subsequent books in the series and was so happy we were going to get this one, too smile
The book arrived on Saturday morning - by Sunday night it was finished...I think you can safely say he loved it!
Here are his comments:
"I thought it was great and very funny as well. I especially liked it when Timmy was interrupted by Total splashing water everywhere! When Molly wanted to dance with Timmy, that was hilarious!
This book was even better than the other ones in the series...it was just basically REALLY good"
So there you have it - A big success!
Thanks so much again for our copy.

barricade Tue 10-Nov-15 06:56:22

Many, many thanks to Mumsnet / Walker Books for a copy of this book.

'Timmy Failure: Sanitized For Your Protection' is the fourth in the series of Timmy Failure titles published by Walker Books. With illustrations and writing style similar to 'Diary Of A Wimpy Kid' by Jeff Kinney, the text itself is, at times, very immature. But in a good way. After all, there's no doubt that this book is intended for adolescents, containing the sophomoric humour of modern-day kids. However, whereas the 'Wimpy Kid' books are grounded in reality, this book is in parts rather surreal.

Timmy Failure is the self-confessed 'greatest' detective in town, if not the world. In reality, he's a bumbling child version of Inspector Clouseau. He has been forced onto a road trip with his mother, her boyfriend Doorman Dave, and the tangerine-smelling Molly Moskins. Or, to describe her more aptly, the notorious criminal Molly Moskins. This time, she is the prime suspect behind the YIPYAP money theft. And Timmy is ready to use all his cunning and savvy to squeeze a confession out of her.

Although primarily written to induce silly, slapstick humour, there is a thought-provoking undercurrent to the narrative. Timmy is from a single parent family, and could do with a positive adult male role model in his life. Additionally, there are references in both this and previous books to his mother's financial problems. We do not know what happened to his father, but clearly it's easier for Timmy to lose himself in a world of make-believe than confront reality. For instance, Total, his pet polar bear, is surely a figment of his imagination (although this is not made explicit). This preference for pretence becomes evident once more when we witness Timmy's reaction to overhearing his mother and Doorman Dave discussing what would be life-changing events.

The book contains a lot of 'in' jokes - for example, the chapter titles often contain hidden pop culture references, and there are numerous plays on detective/cop terminology (e.g. "read the suspect her 'Carmen' Miranda Rights"). Very silly, but cleverly put together. The popularity of Timmy Failure will endure.

smile

I was picked by MNHQ to review this book, which I received for free. This review is in my own words and reflects my opinion.

princessgray Wed 11-Nov-15 11:53:29

Thank you for this book. I haven't read the previous ones in the series but that didn't matter. It was an entertaining fun read. A little young for my daughter but my Godson is going to love it!

JamJar1 Mon 16-Nov-15 19:48:47

Thank you for our copy of Timmy Failure. I gave the book to my 8 year old grandson. His thoughts, 'It was a really exciting book, I felt like I was in the adventure. And I really liked the illustrations. I couldn't put it down until the end!'
Now I shall hunt down the others in the series!

FiveShelties Mon 16-Nov-15 21:15:37

Thank for the copy of Timmy Failure. It was good fun and I will be passing it on to my neighbour's son, who I am sure will enjoy it. I have not read the previous ones but that did not detract from this one in any way.

BigGapMum Mon 07-Dec-15 15:00:34

I received this book as a giveaway from Mumsnet. I was originally planning on giving it as part of a Christmas present, but changed my mind and gave it earlier. I had not heard of the Timmy Failure books before receiving this one and neither had DS (age 7), but DS really enjoyed this book. The humour was about his level and he was captured by the story and the characters, although he didn't understand some of the phrases. The real downside for me was that it was written by an American, presumably for the American market primarily, and references were made with American terms such as felon or sidewalk, which he didn't understand until I explained them. Also there were a few American spellings, which isn't ideal when he is still learning the English spellings.
Other than that it is a humorous and engaging book and I would tend to recommend it.

Andrews55 Thu 10-Dec-15 13:33:19

I was picked by MNHQ to review this book, which I received for free. This review is in my own words and reflects my true opinion.

Thank you for my copy of this book, which we found very amusing indeed. We had not read the previous books in the series but will seek them out in the New Year. The illustrations were good, especially of the polar bear. The chapters are short and interspersed with the cartoons, making it an easy read.
Written by an American author, this book contains words and phrases unfamiliar to many children, though this is not a bad thing - we explain and extend our knowledge and vocabulary. Additionally, there are the usual spelling anomalies but we deal with it and move on.
Timmy Failure seems to get into some fine pickles, doesn't he? Children will enjoy this funny book immensely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now