Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: The American Lover

(6 Posts)
UrsulaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 05-Oct-15 15:00:02

A seductive new collection of short stories from Rose Tremain, the Orange Prize-winning author of The Road Home and Restoration

Trapped in a London flat, Beth remembers a transgressive love affair in 1960s' Paris. The most famous writer in Russia takes his last breath in a stationmaster's cottage, miles from Moscow. A father, finally free of his daughter's demands, embarks on a long swim from his Canadian lakeside retreat. And in the grandest house of all, Danni the Polish housekeeper catches the eye of an enigmatic visitor.

We've got 20 copies of The American Lover to give away. Find out more and apply for your free copy. Remember, if you're one of the lucky 20 to receive a book, we do ask that you write us a review in our reviews section.

Pulledapart33 Mon 05-Oct-15 15:04:11

Hmmm haven't read a decent novel for a while maybe this will keep me entertained hmm

Loveleopardprint Tue 20-Oct-15 16:25:39

Thank you for my lovely new book. It was a nice surprise waiting in my post box today. Can't wait to get started.

Pulledapart33 Tue 20-Oct-15 18:00:53

Just got home to find a nice present in the post for me. Thank you for my lovely new novel. Like you loveleopardprint I can't wait to get started.
Will pop back once read to post a review smile

frogletsmum Sat 07-Nov-15 13:28:05

Thank you for my copy! I'm reading Restoration at the moment and really looking forward to reading The American Lover. Rose Tremain is a wonderful writer. Will come back with a review once I've read the stories.

dorotheamink Sun 13-Dec-15 07:57:55

There is something about Rose Tremain's writing which just transports you into the lives of the characters she creates. Sometimes this happens in the shortest of stories, such as the Captive which is 7 pages long. It's about a man who sets up a kennel for dogs (no more information or it would spoil the story) and within the first few words I could see the main character and his whole life. Her writing is very descriptive whilst being very modest, I think.

Each story always left me wondering about the characters for a long time afterwards so I could never just finish one story and move directly to the next, each needed to be digested.

I think she's a wonderful writer and it was brilliant to have a free copy of this book to read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now