Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: The Woman in the Picture

(14 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 03-Aug-15 16:00:20

London, 1926 and Evie is confronting the hardest challenge of her law career when she is faced with an unexpected proposal. How can she possibly choose between security with a man she admires and passion for the man who betrayed her?

This week we’re giving away 50 copies of The Women in the Picture by Katherine McHahon, click here to find out more and apply for your free copy.

Clawdy Thu 06-Aug-15 09:27:10

Just wondering - have I missed my usual Book Club newsletter? Haven't had one since June?

sylwright Wed 19-Aug-15 15:58:05

Received a copy today, thank you so much. Looking forward to reading it and leaving a review.

snowymum12 Fri 21-Aug-15 08:08:12

Received a copy too, thank you. Looking forward to reading it and hearing everyone's views.

VicKWhish Fri 21-Aug-15 08:40:59

The kids were on a sleepover yesterday so I took full advantage and read this book in one juicy sitting! In fact, I couldn't put it down. It's an epic read about a ground-breaking lawyer, Evelyn Gifford and is set in 1926 when the country was gripped by a General Strike. This book's themes encompass women's rights, class inequality, domestic violence, paternity and above all relationships. It is a follow-up to 'The Crimson Rooms' but is easily a stand alone book as I haven't read that book and there is enough back story to ensure that you don't need to have read that book first.
As well as exploring Evelyn's relationships with her boss, Breen and past love, Nicholas, it also cleverly deals with her wider family and identity and mirrors this by having two legal cases that Evelyn's working on that are at the heart of the book.
This really is a great book to lose yourself in. The front cover states a review by Grazia magazine; 'for fans of Downton Abbey' and it is but it is also so much more than that. From it's cover imagery of a woman who looks of the period but also looks contemporary, this is a book that is of its time but also has striking parallels with our lives and wider society today.

cathisherwood Tue 01-Sep-15 13:10:01

I had a book to finish before I picked up The Woman in the Picture and started it with some reluctance as I found the cover less than inviting but before the end of the first page I was gripped and several tasks were delayed as I squeezed in extra time to read during the day. What a maze of injustice confronts Evelyn in her personal and professional life. How interesting to have this set during the period of the general strike. So many thought provoking issues are packed into this fast paced story. This is the best read I have had all summer and I will be searching for her other books without delay

snowymum12 Mon 07-Sep-15 12:31:47

I enjoyed it too. I think that it had an appeal far broader than 'Downton fans' too as Evelyn is such a wonderful character. I have to admit that I wouldn't have picked the book off the shelf as the cover really isn't appealing. I liked how it explored issues that have a resonance today while reflecting the attitudes of the time. A great holiday read, thanks Mumsnet!

RuthCart Mon 07-Sep-15 14:46:15

I have really enjoyed this book. Likewise @snowymum12 I wouldn't have picked the book from it's cover and I am not a Downton fan. I found the authors writing very evocative and it was easy to picture yourself on the rain swept streets of London or in the creaking Parlor of her Mother's house. I will definitely be ordering her other book and look froward to sitting down for a good long read.

Clawdy Thu 24-Sep-15 10:40:30

This was such a good read. Evelyn was a very interesting character, and the whole feel of the era was so cleverly conveyed. I'd read The Rose of Sebastopol, and liked it, but this was so different. Like other people, I wasn't keen on the cover, it didn't convey the spirit of the novel, and I was surprised to see it was apparently a genuine old photo.

lasttothebar Fri 25-Sep-15 15:11:54

Really enjoyed this. I have some of her earlier books and enjoyed them also. I agree the cover would not entice you to pick it up from a bookshelf.

BearAusten Mon 28-Sep-15 22:09:54

An interesting, page turner of a book. A great read. Will look out for more of her work. I wonder who the woman was on the cover? I was surprised, like Clawdy was, that it was actually a 'genuine old photo'.

I have been incredibly busy and have had little time to read, but every chance I get I pick up The Woman in the Picture. It's engaging, fast paced and I feel a huge amount of empathy and connection with the main character. Proper review to follow but just want to say how much I am enjoying the book so far!

GERTA Fri 06-Nov-15 22:18:47

Sorry for my late response. It took longer to read the book as I had other commitments. I loved it! I am
A solicitor myself and it seemed like it was me who was struggling to help people. It is a book full of emotions, historic background and above all the raising of women in the society.

casthom Wed 23-Dec-15 18:37:30

Thank you for my copy of this book. I have just had time to finish it but I really enjoyed it. Very easy to empathise with the main character. It didn't matter that I hadn't read the prequel as this book was a story in itself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now