Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: The Kelly Sisters by Maureen Lee

(19 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 27-Jul-15 16:19:27

It's 1925 and the Kelly sisters couldn't be more excited about leaving Dublin with their father and heading for a new life in Liverpool, but it soon becomes clear that all is not as it seems.

Upon their arrival, the sisters are swept onto a huge ocean liner heading to New York. Their father disappears and they must prepare themselves for life in a new city on their own.

We've got 50 copies of The Kelly Sisters to giveaway this week, click here to find out more and apply for a free copy.

Don't forget, if you're lucky enough to receive a free copy we do ask that you tell us what you think about it on the thread below or in our book review section.

This giveaway is sponsored by Orion Books

hlc123 Wed 29-Jul-15 22:48:10

I love Maureen Lee books

TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 03-Aug-15 10:59:21

Thanks to everyone who applied, the giveaway has now closed. We'll be contacting the winners shortly.

Eirwen Thu 06-Aug-15 12:30:32

Thank you Mumsnet and Orion Books - my copy arrived yesterday. I always enjoy Maureen Lee books and I'm looking forward to starting this one. Thanks!

del2929 Sun 09-Aug-15 22:14:34

thanks, cant wait to read.

mamaMia16 Thu 13-Aug-15 13:55:40

Was very excited to receive my free copy of this book, but I'm afraid that I found it a huge let-down! Maureen Lee is obviously a prolific writer and must have a legion of fans out there, but I'm not one of them.

millililli Sun 16-Aug-15 16:29:43

Thank you so much for my copy. I hadn't read anything by Maureen Lee before, but unfortunately it wasn't my cup of tea. The characters were uninteresting and undeveloped, the writing seemed silted and the story just didn't hold my attention. I had been looking forward to reading it, as I find that period of American history interesting, but if I hadn't promised to review it, I wouldn't have finished reading it.

VixxFace Sun 16-Aug-15 16:46:03

I am trying to apply but it says this form is private and not for public viewing. Even though I'm logged in!?

VixxFace Sun 16-Aug-15 16:46:36

Ignore that message. I missed out sad

SuzCG Mon 17-Aug-15 09:26:08

Thank you for my copy of this book. I am normally a great fan of Maureen Lee and was really excited to start this book. I did however find this one a little predictable and didn't get 'into it' as I have her past stories. This said, it was an easy read and I'm still glad to have the opportunity to read and review it. I am now going to let my Mum read it - and I think it will be right up her street. We're all different in our hits and misses, and whilst it wasn't a complete miss for me - it didn't quite hit the spot.

sallyc06 Tue 18-Aug-15 07:56:08

This is the first time I have read Maureen Lee and absolutley loved it, in fact in a few months I might read it again. Loved the ease of reading and the storyline, found it easy to put down and pick up. Well worth a read.

gcwilliams Tue 18-Aug-15 23:12:27

Thank you for the copy of this book. It is the first book I have read by Maureen Lee. I too found it very disappointing. The storyline wasn't very credible and I wasn't gripped by it. The characters are poorly developed. I do not feel inspired to read further books by this author.

queenoftheschoolrun Sun 23-Aug-15 22:45:02

Thanks for my free copy. I was looking forward to reading this but it wasn't for me. I'm going to pass it onto my 96 year old grandmother as I feel it may be more suitable for her! It reminded me of a Woman's Weekly story!

Also, the picture on the cover depicts three young children on the boat yet the sisters were all teenagers when they set sail. Why?

Twinsyummymummy Wed 26-Aug-15 20:02:55

Thank you for my free copy. This is the first time I read a Maureen Lee book. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, there's no matter way to put it but as an easy read that you can dip and dive into especially with twins running around.

Snowie2 Fri 28-Aug-15 20:31:51

Thank you for the lovely hard back copy & a first edition too ! Unfortunately it really wasn't my kind of book although it did remind me of maeve binchy's writing. I just found some of the turn of phrase a bit unimaginative & the characters very shallow. I might give it to someone who prefers a simpler read ! Sorry to the author & fans smile

Amydbarker Thu 03-Sep-15 14:17:38

I also felt it wasn't my kind of book. I found it really difficult to engage with the characters emotionally as there was no depth to them. I will be passing it on to my nan as feel she will enjoy it much more.

GERTA Sat 05-Sep-15 07:59:01

This was not my type of book however I managed to read it to the end. I must say I
enjoyed some parts of the book although I was very dissapointting the way the story ended. It looked like the authour was in a rush to finish the book and left out some characters. The language it was written was making me feel like i was in the sixth grade but I suppose it was the intention of the writer since the story was based in the late 20s.

JimmyCorkhill Tue 08-Sep-15 10:45:25

Thanks for the book. I like an easy read sometimes and this was exactly that. It was an enjoyable, if far fetched, story. Like someone posted earlier, the cover illustration was of 3 very young children when the girls were all much older. Plus the blurb said that the girls were on their own in New York but they actually had an uncle to take care of them. Not in the same league as Maeve Binchy or Lesley Pearce but I will be passing it on to a friend as a good read. There was one part, however, that I did not like. The brother who raped the eldest sister was accepted into the family at the end because he couldn't remember the attack. Eh?

RAZDAZ Wed 16-Sep-15 09:48:20

Sorry for the delay, only just had time to read this book, was really looking forward to it, and I must say it started really well, but I feel it lacked any substance and seemed to jump forward to much, after the initial story line was established. On the whole it was a disappointment. Sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now