Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book Giveaway: Summer at Shell Cottage by Lucy Diamond

(34 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 08-Jun-15 11:10:14

A seaside cottage in Devon has been the perfect escape for the Tarrant family for the last twenty years, but after the death of Olivia's husband, the beloved holiday home is crowded with painful memories.

Determined to salvage the house from the ruin of painful memories, the whole family descend on the cottage once more, but the painful loss of father and husband isn't the only struggle they face.

Summer at Shell Cottage is a warm story about loss, love and new beginnings. Click here to find out more and apply for a free copy.

Don't forget if you're lucky enough to win a free copy we do ask that you tell us what you think about it on the thread below or in our book review section.

This giveaway is sponsored by Pan Macmillan

Susangilley7 Tue 23-Jun-15 12:36:59

Thank you, just heard I have a copy of this coming to me. Shall send in review after my holiday. It sounds a good one!

Babbletalk Sat 27-Jun-15 19:58:18

Waiting on my copy too. Hope it comes before i go on holidays later this week. Can't wait to get reading. Thank you.

Clawdy Mon 29-Jun-15 09:35:16

Thank you, looking forward to this one.

Wings77 Sat 04-Jul-15 19:38:20

Firstly, thank you for a free copy of this book.
I enjoy reading Lucy Diamond books so I was thoroughly looking forward to starting her new one. 'Summer at Shell Cottage' is a perfect summer holiday read. You really get to know the characters as secrets in the family come pouring out! I would definitely recommend this great book. Thank you mumsnet.

Clawdy Sun 05-Jul-15 16:02:32

Thanks, my copy arrived yesterday. Taking it on holiday next week to read in Cornish cottage - sounds perfect!

Anj123 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:11:34

Thanks for the book. I have only read the first few chapters so far but am enjoying it. I will post again when I finish the book.

FernieB Tue 07-Jul-15 13:50:44

Thanks for the free copy MN. Really enjoyed this summery light read. It's the perfect read for a lazy sunny afternoon. I really felt I got to know the characters and setting well.

Wings77 Wed 08-Jul-15 13:57:02

I was picked by MNHQ to review this book, which I received for free. This review is in my own words and reflects my true opinion.
Thank you for the book. I enjoy reading Lucy Diamond books so I was thoroughly looking forward to starting her new one. 'Summer at Shell Cottage' is a perfect summer holiday read. As the book progresses you really get to know the characters and the secrets come pouring out! I would definitely recommend this great book. Thank you mumsnet.

rratbag Thu 09-Jul-15 11:40:45

Thank you for my copy of Summer at Shell Cottage received last week - started reading it 3 days ago and I have found it to be a book you can't put down, you just want to read a bit more! In fact could I please ask if Lucy would consider a sequel to it? A lovely easy to read book, perfect to enjoy whilst enjoying a lovely sunny afternoon in the garden.

aristocat Thu 09-Jul-15 18:02:42

I had forgotten how easy to read Lucy D's books are :-)

I am only a few chapters in so far but already hooked and cannot wait to see how the characters develop. I love Freya at the moment but that could change .......

Susangilley7 Sat 11-Jul-15 08:46:41

Back from our holiday and I started straight into this book. Easy to read and already I care about the characters. I am sure it will be an ideal summer read!

Lariflete Sat 11-Jul-15 22:29:23

I was chosen by MNHQ to review this book and was given a copy for free. The review is in my own words and reflects my true opinion.

I received this book last week when I was suffering with a cold. It was perfect for reading while lying around and I managed to read it in one sitting.
I enjoyed the book and it was a very compelling read but I did find the situations of the family slightly unbelievable.
The family reveals some enormous secrets over the course of three weeks.
An alcohol addiction was developed and overcome in a slightly longer - but still short - timeframe, an affair and child of a deceased character were discovered and accepted in approximately six weeks and a longer running deception was uncovered, as well as an enormous secret from one of the children.
It just seemed like a bitmuch for what appeared to be a normal family with a relatively normal upbringing.

I enjoyed this book a lot but did end up, occasionally, thinking that it was too unrealistic even for my willing suspension of disbelief!

aristocat Sat 11-Jul-15 22:44:17

I have now finished this book and I would normally choose crime thrillers as my favourite read. However my taste is changing! I loved this book and was thrilled to discover that the author had written a series of books that my DD adored a few years ago. They were called 'kitten club'

Anyway. The secrets were a little hard to believe but it was so beautifully written and witty and such a page turner that I cannot wait to read more of the same.

Thank you MN and Lucy Diamond smile a fabulous read 10/10!

123roberts Sun 12-Jul-15 19:24:27

Thank you MNHQ for my free copy of Summer at shell cottage which arrived the day we were leaving to come on holiday to France.l have never read any of Lucy Diamonds books before so was really looking forward to it.l must admit that l was a little disappointed.lt was an easy read but l found it difficult to believe that so much misfortune could happen to a typical family in such a relatively short space of time.

lorka Tue 14-Jul-15 00:44:22

Thank you for the book - I have started reading it and so far enjoying it.

vanilla61 Tue 14-Jul-15 13:26:36

Thank you for this very enjoyable book. The flowing words made for an easy read which is exactly what I needed after reading so much non-fiction at Uni!
The way that Shell Cottage appeared to be a conduit to not just relaxing holidays, but healing - and in some cases empowerment. I also loved the way in which the characters were portrayed as 'real people'. I lived in Chivenor, Devon twice as an RAF child and the description of the area took me back to our sun-filled beach trips.
I was picked my MNHQ to review this book, which I received for free. This review is in my own words and reflects my true opinion.

Littlek08 Wed 15-Jul-15 09:43:48

Firstly, thank you Mumsnet for the free copy of Lucy Diamond's fab Summer at Shell Cottage. I really enjoyed reading this book, finding it really easy to pick up and remember where I had left the story without having to flick through a couple of pages to refresh my memory! A very light read highlighting the personal turmoils of the Tarrant family which I found plausible as it is well written and you find yourself connecting with the characters and their situations. A must read for the beach this Summer.

Babbletalk Wed 15-Jul-15 09:58:29

I was picked my MNHQ to review this book, which I received for free. This review is in my own words and reflects my true opinion.

I like to dip into this genre every now and again for a feel good read but with some substance. I found this book fit the bill for me. On the negative side, I found the plots to be on the melodramatic side. They reminded me of a script from any of the soap operas where a lot unravels in an unrealistic timeframe and to a relatively small number of people. HOWEVER putting reality to one side, the authors style writing made up for that. There was substance to the characters which made me want to pick up the book and continue reading. I enjoyed the pace of the book and it definitely held my interest all the way through.

Its my first time reading a book by this author and I would definitely be interested in reading other books written by her. I've heard good things about her book, 'a year of taking chances' which I plan on checking out.

Clawdy Mon 20-Jul-15 09:27:16

This was such an enjoyable holiday read, perfect for my week in Cornwall! Although mainly light and fun, some of the situations arising were serious,especially Freya's. And I found myself liking most of the characters, even the hapless Robert! It was a book I looked forward to picking up each evening. Thank you for my copy - will be passing it on to friends now!

lalamumto3 Wed 22-Jul-15 09:04:38

Thank you for this book, I have posted a review. I found the book easy to read and would suggest it is a good holiday read, easy to dip in and out of.

IreadthereforeIam Fri 24-Jul-15 14:26:27

I'm rating this as a 3/5 - I liked it, it was a nice, easy, summer read. The characters were all nice people, the storyline was nice (with a couple of shockers chucked in for good measure). If you're after an easy read for your summer holiday, then this would be a good book to choose!

millililli Fri 24-Jul-15 16:27:27

I was picked by MNHQ to review this book, which I received for free. Thank you. This review is in my own words and reflects my true opinion.
I usually prefer reading thrillers, but did enjoy this book despite the over- the-top catalogue of misfortunes that befall the family.
I thought that the portrayal of the minutiae of everyday life was absorbing and that the characters were well drawn and sympathetic. The story-line was interesting and kept me reading until the end. I shall be passing this on to a friend as a good read.

Susangilley7 Sat 25-Jul-15 20:27:49

Loved this book. Nice easy pleasant read. There is nothing wrong with nice in this frightening world!!! Thank you so much for the escapism.

SadieSimmons Fri 31-Jul-15 13:52:07

Thanks again Mumsnet for the free copy - I tend to apply for the ones that are from authors I have never heard of and was surprised at how many books Lucy Diamond had written!

This is a perfect summer holiday read, easy to get into, flowing chapters and decent characters. I agree with some of the other posters about believability over so many family secrets but this is a novel designed to keep you reading and neatly tie up all the plot strands to actually finish. Not all problems in real life would be dealt with so easily as MN boards certainly show, however the book is kind of uplifting by showing how the various characters deal with such issues. We all need a little 'Wonderful Life' escapism from time to time!

I will certainly read others by this author.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now