Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book Giveaway: Demolition Dad by Phil Earle

(18 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 26-May-15 10:50:38

Prepare to don your spandex and facemask because we’re giving away 50 copies of the hilarious new children’s story Demolition Dad.

Jake couldn’t be more proud of his wrestling dad, but when he's persuaded to enter a pro-wrestling competition in the U.S.A, things don’t turn out quite as he expected.

Click here to find out more and apply for a free copy.

Don't forget if you're lucky enough to win a copy of this book we do ask that you tell us what you think about it on the thread below or in our book reviews section.

This giveaway is sponsored by Walker Books.

Garton Sun 07-Jun-15 22:43:10

glad to hear Ive got this on its way my sons very excited about getting started on it.

GranAnn42 Wed 10-Jun-15 16:56:38

A great story with a language which takes children on to greater things.

Chez999 Thu 11-Jun-15 11:41:43

Fantastic story to read for the kids, girls and boys, keeps you enthralled right to the end.

BearAusten Sat 13-Jun-15 20:10:14

I am sorry, I misjudged who this story was aimed at when I applied for the book. I thought it would be more like Phil Earle's Albert and the Garden of Doom. My son is currently five and this was too big a jump from the type of chapter books that he used to.

I did have a quick flick through the book. It looked quite good. Touching ending. Sara Ogillvie's illustrations are brilliant and full of her typical, gentle humour.

Perhaps a silly thought, but I thought it would be a good book for Father's Day. A bedtime book to share - Father/Child ( 7 - 9 year old?).

I will either keep the book a couple of years for my son or give it away to someone who will appreciate it.

thewomaninwhitefluffybunnyears Sun 14-Jun-15 19:57:54

I have just started this with DD age 5. I agree that I thought that it would be aimed at a younger age, my mistake. She has enjoyed the first few chapters so far although I did have to do some explaining re language. She has enjoyed what we have read so far though and the illustrations are good!

I like the idea and also think that my DNephew would really enjoy it too. Will post again when we have read more.

thesoupdragon44 Tue 16-Jun-15 12:49:24

I have started to read this book with my nine year old son, so far it is fast paced and full of funnies. We love the base of the story and the demolition dad of Jake Biggs. The book is setting the picture very well and we cant wait to find out what will happen to this seemingly normal family. The story seems to tell of what appears to be a normal family with some hidden talents. But where will the story take them? Will it lead to fame and happiness? you will have to read to find out... This book has been great so far, and a real cant put down book for my son!

Lariflete Tue 16-Jun-15 13:56:15

This was a bit too old for DD but I enjoyed reading it to her anyway!
DH is involved in the wrestling world and this book really amused him.
It was a nice story that had some very poignant moments - the characters were beautifully written and it explored some difficult subjects sensitively.
That being said, I found it hilarious and the illustrations brilliantly done.
I haven't read anything by Phil Earle before, but Demolition Dad was very reminiscent of a Roald Dahl / Quentin Blake collaboration and when DD / DS are a bit older, I can imagine they will be big fans.

insanityscatching Tue 16-Jun-15 14:02:39

Dd read this over the weekend. It's not her usual style of book but she enjoyed it anyway. She doesn't read books with illustrations in these days but she enjoyed having them in this book and I think it encouraged her to read a book she probably wouldn't have chosen. Dd also mentioned it reminding her of Roald Dahl style of writing too.
Thank you for her copy we have passed it on to her primary school.

SuzCG Fri 19-Jun-15 10:48:53

Thank you Mumsnet and Publisher for this fabulous book! It is genuinely funny, cleverly written, quite fast-paced (so no chance to get bored) and more than anything is charming and has real heart. I whizzed through it and my 9 year old son is now well into it and is loving it. I volunteer in my kids school library and will definitely be sharing it with them afterwards - a real recommendation for my 'reluctant readers'.

dontstopmenow Mon 22-Jun-15 17:39:38

Currently in the middle of this book with my 8 year old son. It is a bit 'old' for him re: language used but with a little explanation about wrestling he is loving it - he can't wait for bedtime and the next new chapter!!

purplepandas Mon 22-Jun-15 20:13:33

Just coming back as promised. DD (age 5) is still enjoying this but it is taking some time as it is rather old for her. I know that I mentioned that before. The short chapters are helpful though to keep her interest and make reading chunks manageable. It's the language that is tricky as I have to explain a lot!

MarkingMyPlace9 Wed 24-Jun-15 13:40:56

I was picked my MNHQ to review this book, which I received for free. This review is in my own words and reflects my true opinion.

Unfortunatly I am in the same boat as most other People. My son is 2! I will start reading this to Him soon, but when I read Him a Bedtime Story atm, we don't read it together, I just read to Him. However, the Book looks very good. Illustrations look good, and I think overall He will enjoy the Story - But not for a few more Years. Thanks!

Givemecoffeeplease Wed 24-Jun-15 20:48:34

Super sweet book that DS loved, even if he was a bit young. Will leave it a couple of months and read it again.

Goonergirl1 Wed 24-Jun-15 22:10:27

A well written and fun book for me to read with my 6YO. The short chapters mean that he can concentrate for a whole chapter before bed each night. He loved the fact that the dad had a secret identity and thoroughly enjoyed the whole story (so did I!). Will appeal to both boys and girls and a wide age range. Thank you!

Stujobohm Thu 25-Jun-15 16:49:12

A great book we enjoyed reading as a family. Short chapters make it ideal for bedtimes. Thank you for my copy.

lolapops1 Tue 30-Jun-15 19:39:55

This book is really funny and true to life,love how you get to know the characters.
It was really easy to read too,the illustrations were really good.
It perfectly explains family life.

sylwright Mon 27-Jul-15 23:27:41

Very enjoyable book, my grandson too young for it yet but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great characters and I loved the illustrations. Thanks for the chance to read it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now