Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Audio Book Giveaway: Blood on Snow by Jo Nesbo

(29 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 20-Apr-15 10:36:53

Olav lives the lonely life of a fixer. When you 'fix' people for a living – terminally – it's hard to get close to anyone. Now he's finally met the woman of his dreams. But there are two problems. She's his boss's wife. And Olav's just been hired to kill her.

We're giving away 50 copies of Blood on Snow read by Patti Smith, these will be made available in MP3 format or on CD. Click here to find out more and apply for a free copy.

Don’t forget if you’re lucky enough to win a free copy we do ask that you tell us what you think about it on the thread below or in our book review section.

This giveaway is sponsored by Penguin Random House

ScarlettDarling Mon 20-Apr-15 22:11:15

Applied!
Actually pretty excited about this...been thinking of trying audio books to help ease the pain of a 45 minute drive to work!

Is this the same Jo Nesbo who wrote the doctor proctor books? My dd has just raced through the first 2 in less than a week...must order her the next ones.

TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 27-Apr-15 10:02:10

This giveaway has now closed, thanks to everyone who applied. We'll be in touch with the winners shortly.

DuchessofMalfi Sat 02-May-15 19:49:49

Received my copy yesterday. Will make a start on it next week. I love a good audiobook, hope this doesn't disappoint smile

DuchessofMalfi Tue 05-May-15 14:12:44

Having never read a Jo Nesbo novel before, I didn't know quite what to expect. It's very short (at just under four hours) - I listened to it this morning.

In brief, it is the tale of a fixer (or hitman) who has been hired this time to kill his boss's wife. It all goes horribly wrong - about as wrong as it could get, and it just keeps getting worse.

It's a fast-paced story, well-written, and with some really good characters and insight into the criminal underworld of Oslo. I think I would be tempted to try another Jo Nesbo novel on the strength of this.

Finally, though, a word about the narration of this audio book by Patti Smith. I know I am very picky about audio book narrators and have been known to send them back if I can't get on with the narration. Patti Smith was a competent narrator, but lacked expression, making the story seem flat where the pace should have been fast, thus killing off much of the tension. Not sure if I could have listened to a longer novel narrated by her.

ScarlettDarling Mon 11-May-15 20:22:33

Was so excited about listening to this on the way to work. Put the Cd in and...nothing! It didn't work! So disappointed!

TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 13-May-15 14:07:11

Hi ScarlettDarling sorry to hear your CD isn't working, I will request a new one to be sent to you.

ScarlettDarling Wed 13-May-15 19:27:29

Ah, thanks TinaMumsnet that'd be great!

Racers Wed 13-May-15 19:36:59

ScarlettDarling yes, the same Jo Nesbo. I've read all his adult books, my daughter loves his Dr Proctor ones (especially, I suspect, because she can legitimately say 'fart' in class when doing a book review!)

IreadthereforeIam Sun 17-May-15 17:43:52

Just finished listening to this. I swung between love and hate, I have to admit. I found it difficult at first to get my head around the main character being male and the narrator being female (because it was all written in the first person), and Patti is rather monotone. I've decided that this worked though. The more I listened, the more I realised that Olav certainly had his issues.
This is my first Jo Nesbo book, and I think that I may well read more - I really enjoyed the whole story. It was pacy and there was never the urge to hit the fast forward button.

Thankyou for sending me a copy!!

ScarlettDarling Mon 18-May-15 21:54:28

Many thanks for the replacement CD...this one works just fine!
I'll be back with my review soon.

Broidery Tue 19-May-15 16:53:59

I was thrilled to receive this audio book as I love Jo Nesbo and Patti Smith. Not sure if she was the ideal narrator but it was a great story and I really enjoyed it - very fast moving as with all Jo Nesbo's stuff. Plus being an audiobook I got to listen and get other stuff done at the same time, which is always a bonus!

queenoftheschoolrun Wed 03-Jun-15 12:56:55

Thanks for my free copy. I was really looking forward to listening to it as I'm a huge Jo Nesbo fan and I love a good audiobook. I have to confess to being disappointed with it though, I'm maybe half way through but it's become a bit of a chore. Patti Smith's narration is so monotone that I find myself switching off and having to go back as I've missed a huge chunk of narrative. Tempted to give up altogether and treat myself to the book instead. Will give it another go and report back later!

MrsJ2000 Thu 04-Jun-15 12:41:58

yay - I won a copy of Blood On Snow

majjsu Thu 04-Jun-15 14:47:22

It's the first time I have listened to a fiction book on CD, makes a welcome change from Cinderella! The story is good, it keeps you wanting to find out more. I too was disappointed with the narrator, was expecting a bit more pace. I have to say I did enjoy it.

snakeface Fri 05-Jun-15 11:54:41

Sorry I haven't reviewed yet, especially as was so pleased to win a copy.
I will listen in car. Keep forgetting to put it on as I'm not use to using audio books either!

MrsJ2000 Fri 05-Jun-15 14:04:25

received an e mail asking me to post a review - but haven't received the prize ?

queenoftheschoolrun Mon 08-Jun-15 11:17:38

I've finished it now. Loved the story, hated the narrator. I was really surprised to read in the accompanying blurb that Jo Nesbo "reached out to here and asked her to narrate the audio edition" because he's a fan of her music. Hasn't put me off his books though but I'll stick to the written word in future. I'm going to buy this book for my DM so I can read it when she's finished!

noscat Tue 09-Jun-15 09:03:40

Have now finished listening - I am a much slower listener than reader! I've read a lot of the Harry Hole books, and was rather disappointed with Olav and Patti Smith's voice made it all a bit "hard boiled noir" - not sure if she was the ideal choice as a narrator for me. I also found the frequent self depreciation of the main character bizarre ("I don't know much about genetics/philosophy/quantum physics etc etc when he obviously does - I found myself thinking "he doth protest too much!" So not for me I'm afraid, and I have also learnt that I'm not a fan of audio books either.

MummyBtothree Tue 09-Jun-15 12:17:56

Was ver excited about this as always fancied an audio book and I wasnt disappointed. Very good and would recommend!, mother in law has now borrowed it and is equally enjoying it.

Brighty1 Wed 10-Jun-15 14:37:15

I got the email saying I'd won a copy, but haven't recevied anything. Can't remember if I selectd cd or MP3, if I selectd MP3 how do I get it?

EmilyMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 17-Jun-15 15:34:52

Hi Brighty1

The MP3 file would have been sent to your email - check your junk/spam inbox for the email containing the file. If this turns up nothing, send us an email at bookclub@mumsnet.com and we'll get on it!

Emily

BitterChocolate Fri 19-Jun-15 19:36:47

I only listened to the first hour or so, for technical reasons (I couldn't get my iPad to save the mp3 only open it, then when I went back to continue listening it wouldn't open again).

TBH I was only going to continue to listen out of a sense of duty so I'm not particularly disappointed, I think Jo Nesbo is better read than listened to. There is a lot of atmospheric detail that works well in a book because you can read it quickly, whereas it slows the story down for me when it's being read. I got used to Patti Smith very quickly and, while she doesn't bring the nuances to the story that an actor might, I think she is actually quite atmospheric and gritty to listen to.

I didn't care very much about any of the characters in the story, but I find that to be generally true for Nesbo stories. I some ways I like that, the real world isn't filled with people who are either completely good or completely bad, and people often do bad things and then go on to live a full and happy life. On the other hand, because I don't really connect with any of the characters, I'm not rushing to finish this book although I would like to know how it turns out at some stage. My Mum buys all the Nesbo books and then passes them on to me, so I'm happy to wait for that to continue the story.

Susangilley7 Tue 23-Jun-15 12:31:54

Thank you so much for this CD. Blood on the Snow by Jo Nesbo, both frightened and thrilled me. Not to be listened to in the car in the dark, along a country road as I did!!! I daren't get out of the car!!!

magmaSKG Thu 25-Jun-15 19:03:29

Thank you so so much for the free copy!

I would definitely recommend this book. Fully fledged characters with intriguing background stories. Valid justification of how they ended up being what they are. Even though the average reader cannot identify himself with a "fixer" or a gold-digger, Jo Nesbo manages to turn them into humane everyday people.

Patti Smith's voice definitely matches the main character's gloomy disposition but lacks sentiment when reading secondary characters (women/swearing men).

All in all it was a really enjoyable experience that left me a bit sad when it was over sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now