Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book Giveaway: The First Slodge by Jeanie Willis

(16 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 30-Mar-15 11:22:53

Once upon a slime, there was a Slodge. The first Slodge in the universe. She saw the first moon and stars, the first fruits and flowers. "Mine, all mine!" she said. But what if there was not just one Slodge... but two?

As featured in our best new picture books list this spring, The First Slodge is a wonderfully original and witty story from the award-winning author, Jeanne Willis - with captivating illustrations from Jenni Desmond and we've got 50 copies to giveaway.

Click here to find out more and apply for a free copy.

If you're lucky enough to receive a free copy, please don't forget to tell us what you think about it on the thread below or in our picture book review section.

This giveaway is sponsored by Stripes Publishing.

TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-Apr-15 10:57:15

This giveaway has now closed, thanks to everyone who applied. We'll be in touch with the winners shortly.

Fridaysbookworm Thu 23-Apr-15 19:34:02

Thanks very much for my free copy. I have just read The First Slodge with my 6 year old son and he loved the story. He found parts hilarious 'once upon a slime' and said he particularly liked the baby slodges! I assume this is aimed at a younger audience but he still really enjoyed the very sweet story on 'sharing' and the illustrations. Thank you!

MrsMarigold Sat 25-Apr-15 10:21:02

Thank you - my copy arrived three days ago and has been read about nine times, my children are almost four and two and a half and they love it. They found it funny in parts but also loved the sharing theme. Sharing is a big issue in our house and they liked it and have talked about it when we've been out and about. The illustrations are lovely and it is well written yet simple. The ending was particularly sweet and really captured their imaginations, they even wondered if the mummy was pregnant! I think it will become a firm favourite and am going to buy a few copies to give as birthday presents.

majjsu Sat 25-Apr-15 18:10:05

My daughter is 4 years old and we read the book twice. I then asked for her review of the book and I quote "It is the best book in the land. It has cute baby slodges, there was good sharing and I like a happy story." The story has a very clear moral, which my daughter latched onto quickly. It is beautifully written and the pictures are lovely, that we cannot wait to read this again. Thank you so much for our copy.

Clawdy Sat 25-Apr-15 20:40:32

What a lovely book, thank you for my copy. My three-year old grandson was fascinated by the pictures and the developing story and insisted on reading it again. But he calls it "First Splodge"! I liked the underlying message and that wonderful last page.

DeccaMitford Sun 26-Apr-15 08:49:40

This is a lovely book. I read it myself when the copy arrived and thought the illustrations and story were great, with a simple but important message - one which my 2.5 year old could do with getting to grips with!

When I then shared it with him (ha - just realised this mirrors the story in itself!) he liked repeating the word 'slodge' and pointing out the objects as they are mentioned in the story. He wanted to read it 'again, again!' immediately, always a good sign.

So overall, we really enjoyed this book and I am hoping the central message, that it's nicer to share than keep things to ourselves (especially those that actually 'belong' to everyone) will start to sink in eventually! At then moment, 'my x' is a familiar refrain at toddler groups etc so I hope he doesn't just latch on to the early part of the story as vindication for this approach grin

IfInDoubtPout Mon 27-Apr-15 17:27:58

Dd really enjoyed me reading this book to her (she's 4). I'd say she's still in the target age but getting towards the top of it and it's best suited for children 2-4. She liked the pictures and talking about 'slodge' ( it's a fun way to say in a Miranda hart way) and it was a good message about sharing to go with it. Dd actually quite likes sharing and so she liked the sharing message with this, I can see it would be very useful for a sharing phobic child.

weathermum Tue 28-Apr-15 18:51:10

many thanks for the free book this is for my 4 year old grandson who will be visiting soon...he will love it.... the illustrations are really excellent.....the story very short but I don't think that will mar his enjoyment of storytime. I will update again when we have shared it..

Cherrypi Thu 30-Apr-15 19:31:49

Thank you for the book. My three year old was initially suspicious but when I started reading it he listened to the end. He liked the giant strawberry. I initially thought it was teaching evolution then there were echoes of Adam and Eve. A sweet story with good invented words.

LorrieJ Thu 07-May-15 18:52:42

What a lovely book with beautiful illustrations and a very cute take on a creation story. We tested it on our 22 month old who likes 'slooowdge' because it has a star in it, her most favourite thing in the universe.

bella4024 Sat 09-May-15 20:40:10

Thank you for our free copy! This is a new favourite at bedtime, my son has chosen it every night since we received it. He loves the story, and likes to look at the baby slodges at the end. It has a good moral, and is beautifully illustrated.

MamaMummyMum Mon 11-May-15 17:33:56

I was so excited when I got picked to receive a free copy of this book. It is such a sweet story which is wonderfully illustrated. It captured the attention of my 3, 5 and 7 year olds. The story itself echoed Adam and Eve and put across the concept of sharing ( something my toddler still needs to learn).

nerysw Tue 19-May-15 20:36:30

What a lovely book this is! I read it with my son (4) and daughter (6) and all three of us really enjoyed it. The illustrations are just beautiful and I liked that it has such good messages about sharing and friendship. The kids like the slodges and were very happy with the ending as they didn't want to the first slodge to be lonely. We've read it plenty of times at bedtime and my daughter liked that she could read it herself.

honeybeeplusone Sat 30-May-15 20:49:23

Thank you for the book. It was such a nice surprise to get it in the post. I'm afraid that my daughter (nearly 5) didn't really enjoy it... She found the picture of the sea monster trying to eat the slodge too upsetting.

RatOnnaStick Mon 01-Jun-15 09:17:06

We've read this a few times now with my 4 year old boy. I read through it first and wasn't overwhelmed so it got put aside for a week or two but I should have trusted my son to look at it first as he really likes it. It has made its way into the pile of bedtime stories so its a success here.

He understands the sharing and friendship message and he likes the illustrations. Its aimed nicely at 4-6 year olds I would think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now