Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book Giveaway: That Girl from Nowhere

(30 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 09-Mar-15 11:29:35

We’ve got 50 copies of That Girl from Nowhere to giveaway this week, the new novel by bestselling author Dorothy Koomson.

Adopted as a baby, the only connection Clem has to her birth mother is a cardboard box hand-decorated with butterflies. Now as an adult, the tangled truths about her adoption and childhood start to unravel, causing Clem to question whether the price of having contact with her birth family could be too high to pay. Click here to find out more and apply for a free copy.

Don't forget, if you're lucky enough to win a copy of That Girl from Nowhere we do ask that you tell us what you think about the book on the thread below, or write a review here.

This giveaway is sponsored by Cornerstone

Pigeonpea Mon 09-Mar-15 12:14:58

Sounds like a beautiful and emotional read

whatwoulddexterdo Mon 09-Mar-15 19:46:34

I have read all of Dorothy Koomsons books and have enjoyed them all. They are not always particularly easy reads as she touches on some quite intense themes, definitely not your usual chick lit.
Really hope I win a copy.

ChantenayCarrot1 Mon 09-Mar-15 19:54:49

I've also read all of Dorothy Koomsons books and really enjoyed them.

This sounds like a really difficult subject to write about but I have a feeling that if its as good as her previous books, she will really captured the emotions and feelings of the characters. The story line is quite close to home for me but if done well, it could be amazing.

thejoysofboys Mon 09-Mar-15 19:59:00

I have an adopted sister in law (now adult) so the story line really sounds interesting to me (SIL has no contact with her birth family - her choice).
Have not heard of Dorothy koomson before. Am off the browse Amazon

Sizzlesthedog Sun 15-Mar-15 14:11:39

This book sounds like a refreshing change from the normal duo chick lit.

Sounds like a book that I wouldn't be able to put down.

LindseyandMatthew Thu 26-Mar-15 16:28:00

I a so grateful to have received this book today to read and review. Is anyone elses upside down though, that amused me lol.... I shall read and review asap thanks again

Stujobohm Mon 30-Mar-15 17:38:38

What a great read, you do need to concentrate on storyline but I still enjoyed it ��

BlackSusie2004 Mon 30-Mar-15 17:45:11

Thank you for That Girl From Nowhere by Dorothy Koomson, received last week, just my genre!
I was initially expecting a book with an adopted girl struggling to find her birth parents, but it was so much more, hence why I managed to read through it so quickly!
Smitty is a black girl with white adopted parents and a box covered in butterflies which was from her birth mother. She's not really searching, but after her break-up with her boyfriend she moves to Brighton and sets up a little jewellery shop. It is there that she is told about the significance of the box from her mother, and so starts a fascinating story with many twists and turns that leaves you wanting more.
It deals with subjects such as race and racism in a sensitive, real manner, and I think it's Koomson's best book to date.

pippyparsons Thu 02-Apr-15 14:43:55

A really good read, had to concentrate hard but will def look for some of her other books to read

clopper Sat 04-Apr-15 01:02:05

I had never heard of this author and this is not my usual type of book/genre. There are a few convenient coincidences in this story. However, it was an excellent read and I found it hard to put down.

Although the central idea was about adoption, and more specifically the adoption of a black girl by white parents, I was most fascinated by the relationship between Smitty and her adoptive mother. This overly- critical and brittle character reminded me of some of the stately home/ mil threads on Mumsnet! The adoptive mother character did become more sympathetic at the end and I enjoyed reading about their changing relationship.

I did feel that the ending was left a little unresolved in some areas (the older brother), but I guess that in many ways it is more realistic without the neat ending. Overall I really enjoyed it and it did make me consider more deeply many aspects of adoption, from the adopted, biological and adoptive parents points of view. It was well written and made me think. I will definitely look at other books from this author.

LindseyandMatthew Sun 05-Apr-15 23:57:35

What can I say I am so pleased that I was chosen to read this book. I couldn't put it down at all. I have to confess that I even ended up burning my tea as it was so addictive and I just wanted to know what happened next. I honestly didn't want this book to end, I felt so involved with the characters. I have never read Dorothy Koomson before but I can guarantee this won't be the last book of hers I read.

fanmum Wed 08-Apr-15 09:00:53

Thank you for the book. It was a great read. i was able to empathise with the characters. It's a well written and gripping read that you don't want to put done. Thank you again.

PodeTheBogeySlayer Wed 08-Apr-15 23:40:12

Wow. A brilliant read. I found the first few pages hard at first but once I was settled in and knew the characters I was hooked! I read the whole book in less than 3 days. I found the characters so believable and could really emerge myself in the story. I will definitely be looking out for more of her books.

Frasras11 Sat 11-Apr-15 22:18:23

I've read most of Dorothy Koomston's books and have enjoyed them all. Girl from Nowhere was no different. I read it in two days.

When you first meet Clemency she has just moved to Brighton with her mother. As the story unfolds, you are given snippets of her past: childhood memories, university days, and more recent events. They all help explain how she finds herself in her current situation and why she makes the decisions she does concerning her future.

I love it when an author causes me to have mixed emotions about their characters. I found myself at times hating Clemency's mother, annoyed with Seth and almost shouting at Clemency for not bloody standing up for herself. The characters certainly draw you in.

Overall, an easy to read book as the story captures you and carries you along. I couldn't put it down as I just needed to know what happened next. I thoroughly recommend Girl From Nowhere and will certainly be passing my copy on so other people can enjoy it as much as I did.

MummyBtothree Sat 18-Apr-15 17:53:21

A fantastic book, although for someone who has a job concentrating I found it a bit harder going than some but would def recommend!

BearAusten Sat 18-Apr-15 22:18:55

Thank you for this excellent book. Once I had started this novel, I could not put it down. I was gripped by its storyline, all its intrigues and twists and turns. Emotionally powerful.

Garton Sun 19-Apr-15 07:57:00

shame I never won this one ill br heading to amazon so get it on kindle I think.

mishroo Sun 19-Apr-15 09:14:36

this is my favourite of dorothys novels so far.I loved the central character Clemency and felt sorry for clemencys mother upon realising clemency had accidently found her birth mother. It is an emotional read focusing on love and family and their imperfections. If you love jewellery and taking photos you will love this story with its colourful tone.

Jouls Mon 20-Apr-15 21:24:22

I enjoyed this book immensely, becoming completely wrapped up in the main character Clemency. Her thoughts and feelings on being adopted really opened my eyes to the issue. I am fairly good at guessing story lines but this had a number of twists and turns that surprised me. A great read and will look out for more books by Dorothy Koomson.

solitudehappiness Wed 22-Apr-15 12:34:11

I've never read any of Dorothy Koomson's books before, so was intrigued. Absolutely loved the book, and found it impossible to put down. Adopted as a baby, left with a box decorated with butterflies. Adopted parents don't discuss her adoption, but she is aware of being adopted, more so a she is black and they are white. After a relationship breakdown, she moves to Brighton, and her mother, recently bereaved of her father moves in with her too. By chance meeting, she becomes aware her biological family live in Brighton.
This book has many twists and turns, and is quite emotive. Tackles race and racism very sensitively but realistically.
Would definitely recommend, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

easterlywinds Fri 24-Apr-15 19:27:40

Thank you for choosing me to read this book. I was a bit apprehensive at first thinking it was going to just be another chick lit. However it was much much better. It was full of twists, some predictable, others not so predictable. I enjoyed getting to know the characters and following their stories. I would recommend this book.

chrisrobin Sat 25-Apr-15 16:00:23

Thank you for the book. I found this to be a very emotional book and it was refreshing to have such a book about something other than romantic love. I enjoyed reading it. As it was told through Clemency it was about her take on her family life and finding her place in the world. Growing up in a similar family I know how difficult it was in the 70's/80's with people questioning the family make up all the time.
I haven't read a book by Dorothy Koomson before, but may well now look out for others.

allybird1 Mon 04-May-15 21:55:47

Thanks for the book too. It was a good read. I haven't read any of her books before, although I watched the tv adaptation of the ice cream girls and really enjoyed it, so I will definitely be reading more. This book is thought provoking and not 'chick lit'. Probably because the author used to be a journalist. It builds very well, layer upon layer, as the information is drip fed, so it makes you not want to put the book down. All in all a very good book.

GERTA Sun 17-May-15 17:59:55

What a powerful and emotional book! I have cried and laughed, I have been in an emotional rollercoaster with the main character throughout the book. It started like a kind of book I read only two three pages on the tube but soon it become one of those books you cannot wait to find out what was going to happen next. It was my first book from the author and I cannot wait to read more books from her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now