Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: The Ice Twins by SK Tremayne

(5 Posts)
Tinyminx Mon 16-Feb-15 20:52:38

The jacket intimates that the book will be terrifying. It's not, but it does have twists and turns, and the penultimate chapter is eerie. I enjoyed it immensely.

The book is written from two perspectives: both parents of twin girls, one of whom dies in an accident. It deals with their reaction to the inevitable fallout, but more so with the remaining twin....which one is she? Who actually died, and why?

At each new chapter we learn of betrayal, various people's descent into depression and apparent madness, and the existence of ghosts. The family move to a remote Northern Scottish Isle, the tempest surrounding it adding to the forbidding atmosphere throughout the novel.

As a parent of a little girl some of the book upset me greatly; the thought of losing a daughter, the agony and isolation of the remaining twin.

The building tension of the book is spoiled, I felt, by the eventual revelation of why the little girl died, which is not built upon any hints that have developed through the book.

It is redeemed, however, by what eventually happens to the mother. But once again, the final chapter wraps things up too neatly, I feel, as I see too often in books.

Overall though a gripping read which I read in a day, definitely a page turner and one I would recommend.

MummyBtothree Tue 17-Feb-15 09:56:22

Is there a link for this?

Clawdy Wed 18-Feb-15 10:19:03

Is this a give away? no link

MummyBtothree Wed 18-Feb-15 10:32:49

After reading it again I think its somebody's book review thats been put in the wrong place

Clawdy Wed 18-Feb-15 10:38:55

Ah. What a pity, sounded a good one to go for!smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: