Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book Giveaway: Things We Couldn't Explain

(27 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 17-Nov-14 16:14:57

Two lovesick teenagers are caught in a religious maelstrom, where science, faith and doubt clash as never before. Things We Couldn't Explain the beautifully written, brilliantly witty coming-of-age story and we’ve got 50 copies to giveaway this week.

Click here to find out more about the book and apply for your free copy.

Please don't forget that if you're lucky enough to win a free copy of Things We Couldn't Explain, we do ask that you tell us what you thought about it on the thread below, or write a review here

frazzledbutcalm Mon 17-Nov-14 22:08:05

have applied .... but mumsnet HQ ... I clicked on the link but it takes you to a different book to apply for ...

GetHappy Tue 18-Nov-14 22:04:30

look so moving and warmly ... fingers crossed

hlc123 Mon 22-Dec-14 11:08:58

Got my copy today Thank you! Will leave a review when I get round to reading it which will probably be next year

Uzma01 Mon 22-Dec-14 13:39:10

Got my copy today, what a lovely surprise. Many thanks.

rachelkanga Mon 22-Dec-14 13:48:02

Received my copy today through the post, look forward to reading once Christmas is out of the way

Campaspe Mon 22-Dec-14 19:08:32

Thank you - I've got a copy. I will be reading it over Christmas, and will post my thoughts soon!

lasttothebar Mon 22-Dec-14 20:02:23

Thank you received mine today look forward to reading it

FernieB Mon 22-Dec-14 22:35:10

Received my copy today - thanks. Just marking my place.

nushcar Wed 24-Dec-14 13:17:13

Received mine too and will comment once finish!

Campaspe Sat 27-Dec-14 17:01:39

Well, this has been my reading over Christmas and here's my thoughts:

I enjoyed it and have read nothing quite like it before. It's quirky and laugh out loud funny in places - the scene with Brother Carl for example, is both cringy and amusing at once. I liked the 3 main protagonists sharing the telling of the story, and found I warmed to Ethan in particular. I was a bit less certain of Annemarie. At times, I felt she played with Ethan's emotions (as a teenage girl might do), and at other times, she seemed blessed with an unnatural sense of wisdom and insight. Which was the real Annemarie, or were they both real?

The only thing I didn't like was the ending. I felt it sort of petered out, and the idea of the conception transferring to Ada didn't feel right. Why did the pregnancy just disappear? Did you notice there were no physical manifestations of pregnancy at all, such as morning sickness, tingling boobs etc.

Still, as an exploration of how we might react today, I think it was spot on. I enjoyed the book and will be looking out for more Betsy Tobin books. I like the sound of Bone House in particular.

Happy to chat to anyone else whose read the book and wants to share their thoughts.

FernieB Wed 07-Jan-15 22:04:24

Just finished the book - read it in 2 days. I really enjoyed it, but would agree that it did seem to just peter out and was slightly unsatisfactory. This did fit in with the idea of there being 'no answers' and that sometimes things can't be explained.

I liked all the main characters, particularly Eva who seemed trapped by her situation and dominated by her sister. Annemaries situation seemed to act as a catalyst to prompt her to address her chosen path.

I'll be looking out for more of Betsy Tobins books.

Uzma01 Fri 16-Jan-15 20:09:00

I enjoyed the book on the whole but felt that it was going back and forth in time too much - which made it difficult to follow at times. The ending was a bit rushed and seemed quite odd. Plus there was no sort of resolution for Eva.

The fact that it was written from three perspectives was clever and quite insightful.

CarmonEileen Tue 10-Feb-15 14:59:08

Brilliantly written. I really enjoyed this, my mum has now read it too. Thank you.

sylwright Mon 09-Mar-15 13:30:29

I enjoyed the book as it wasn't predictable like some books are. Quite different from the usual novels, but I would agree with the other posters about the ending being unsatisfactory.

tobron Mon 09-Mar-15 13:53:17

great read, really good book.

Roobeedoo1 Mon 09-Mar-15 16:29:24

The subject matter of this book was quite unusual. I enjoyed format of flippung back and forwards and the humour, but found the abruptness of the ending left me with a lot of unanswered questions,The subjw

Theimpossiblegirl Mon 09-Mar-15 18:02:06

I really enjoyed this book, although I wasn't expecting to. The subject matter is unusual, but handled in a quirky, amusing and thought-provoking way. Although fiction, the attitudes of Bible-belt America shone through with a good mix of the pious, the pure and the pushy.

The story unfolds from the viewpoints of the different characters and moves between present day and flashbacks. As a fan of Jodi Picoult I like that style so it worked well for me.

I agree that the ending could have been tweaked slightly.

Has anyone read any more of Betsy Tobin's work? I'm tempted to try another so let me know if you have any recommendations.

lynnalex Mon 09-Mar-15 18:59:57

I enjoyed the book thank you. Interesting to have a blind character as the main one and she was portrayed as thoughtful brave and anxious to be part of society. liked the chapters from different points of view. Some of the dialogue was quite funny. Ending a bit downbeat.

rachelkanga Mon 09-Mar-15 19:36:48

I enjoyed the book and like previous posters felt the ending was a let down. The characters were interesting and in places the book had some humour.

cathisherwood Tue 10-Mar-15 08:24:07

I thought this was a very light read - mildly amusing in places but quite irritating too - none of the relationships rang true to me. Sorry but not my cup of tea

hlc123 Tue 10-Mar-15 17:35:40

Not the sort of book I usually read but it was enjoyable

lasttothebar Mon 16-Mar-15 18:21:27

As others have said I really enjoyed this book, although the end could have been better. I have passed the book around friends as well and they have enjoyed it too.

26milesofcbeebies Fri 10-Apr-15 09:15:15

This was an entertaining read. It was interesting to have a blind main character. I thought the dialogue was often witty and the story moved along at a nice pace.

nushcar Tue 16-Jun-15 01:08:55

A non-religious Londoner with a healthy does of cynicism, when I first started reading this book, I wondered if I would really relate to this novel, set in the hyper-religious Mid-West. However, I when I checked the author's Facebook page some time back and saw an amusing 'Do you Believe in the Virgin Birth?' diagram, I realised this evangelical backdrop, religious references and idea of a miracle virgin birth were something of a red herring and the real story, which was very well written was about a romance between two young people told from both perspectives. It reminds you a little of what teen romance is like as well. It has a gentle, warm tone and a way of describing things so well and elegantly, that you feel that you are there and unaware of being a reader. It is an easy read and seems to have been written with some insight in terms of what it must be like to be a young, blind teenager and, I thought, posted interesting questions of the religion, mores and behaviours of the community in which the story is set.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now