Talk

Advanced search

Can I change my daughters name at 4 months old?

(24 Posts)
LolaG Wed 25-Nov-20 10:31:10

Hi, I named my daughter Georgie. A name my partner and I agreed on. It was one of those names I thought of on the spot and he said yes after saying no to most of the others. I just don’t know if it suits her or whether I like it anymore or whether I’m just overthinking it. Is it too boyish? Will she like it? It’s really annoying me that I can’t stop thinking about it. I also love daisy and Mila. But am afraid if I pick one of those it’ll be too common and I’ll be thinking of Georgie in the future. But I just can’t get the name thing out of my head! Help!

OP’s posts: |
Doublebubblebubble Wed 25-Nov-20 21:53:36

Devil's advocate. Whats to stop you from feeling the same way about Mila or Daisy in 4 months time too? And 4 months after that?

Georgie is a lovely name. It's very sweet. I don't think it's boyish at all. My best friend in school was a Georgina and I'd call her Georgie so it makes me nostalgic.

Was her name from out of nowhere, yes. Does that mean its wrong for her, or you? Not really.

Ngl - other people in your life will likely be very confused that you've just changed your baby's name. I know it shouldn't matter to them, but it probably would. Is she the first grandchild? I'm honestly not sure how you'd go about changing her name but I'm presuming you need fathers permission too (not sure - don't jump on me!). How does daddy feel about the name?

After all that. Georgie is a beautiful name. I do think that you're over thinking it just a bit.

SMaCM Wed 25-Nov-20 22:06:12

Georgie is a lovely name. Definitely not boyish.

Smellbellina Wed 25-Nov-20 22:07:13

I think it’s a lovely name OP

pumpkinpie01 Wed 25-Nov-20 22:08:06

That would have been my choice if I had had a girl last time round , it's lovely.

Mhschoolq Wed 25-Nov-20 22:11:59

You’re definitely overthinking it, but she’s only 4 months so if you want to change it go for it.

But - if you do (and if you don’t!) - have a pact with yourself that you’ll NEVER overthink her name again. That’s just her name and that’s it.

Good luck with your decision!

Sunbird24 Wed 25-Nov-20 22:12:23

If you really want to change it you could always make it Georgia or Georgina to give her the option when she’s older, but there’s nothing wrong with Georgie

Mhschoolq Wed 25-Nov-20 22:16:14

I was thinking the same as a pp - Georgia or Georgiana etc etc to give her options.

Or even Georgia Daisy, so you can swap the middle and first name around if Georgie doesn’t fit.

Nostrings457 Wed 25-Nov-20 22:18:18

Its not too late but seeing as you dont have your heart set on another name I dont know why you would

RoxanneMonke Wed 25-Nov-20 22:20:23

Georgie is a lovely name. I’d pick that over the others, and as an adult I’d much prefer to be called Georgie than Mila or Daisy, which I think is a very cutesy.

LittleMissBrainy Wed 25-Nov-20 22:32:07

It's not too late, we changed our daughters names at 4 & 7 months as they are adopted. Although they are closely related to their birth names so if they want to change back it won't be a massive issue.

However I love boyish names for girls and I think Georgie is a lovely name, timeless and ageless.

You could make it Georgia, or Georgiana or Georgina, or something like that so she has a longer or (arguably) more professional name to refer to if she wants to when she's older.

LolaG Thu 26-Nov-20 08:41:30

Thank you so much everyone. All of your comments have made me feel so much confident that I have given her a nice name. I’ll keep it as Georgie and will stop searching all of the internet sites trying to find a better name that I think would fit her and I’ll try not to overthink it again. Thank you again for your comments. I’ve been going crazy in my head trying to decide this xxx

Isadora2007 Thu 26-Nov-20 08:45:11

None of my babies have suited their names really and in my mind are “baby” for a good little while. By 6 months though I’d say they begin to feel like their name as they begin to respond to it as well. Stick with Georgie as Daisy is cutsie and Mila (I’m assuming Myla) is common around here and there is even a toy unicorn called myla!

RainingBatsAndFrogs Thu 26-Nov-20 08:51:15

Georgie is great!

And much nicer than Georgina, IMO.

IntoP20 Thu 26-Nov-20 09:09:24

What is it short for OP? I think it’s lovely

LolaG Thu 26-Nov-20 09:16:19

Thank you. No was thinking Mila not Myla. It’s just Georgie. Not short for anything. I actually quite dislike the name Georgina

nattiee Thu 26-Nov-20 09:23:12

I love the name Georgie, that's the name I'd call my daughter if I was to have one.
Was set on it when I fell pregnant but I had a little boy.

It's such a lovely name

LolaG Thu 26-Nov-20 10:52:21

Thank you 🤗

Finnyhaddock Mon 14-Dec-20 09:21:14

Just had to write because my daughter is actually called Daisy Georgia (she's 27!) and I always call her George or Georgie!

Vindo Mon 14-Dec-20 09:26:57

Georgie is lovely!

Could you add Mila as a middle name? Georgie Mila works quite well. Georgie Daisy not so much.

Fwiw I started to question my youngests name for a while, but now I love it again. I can't imagine him as anything else now.

simonthedog Mon 14-Dec-20 09:30:30

I think it is lovely. Naming a child feels like a big responsibility you are always going to worry.

user1493494961 Mon 14-Dec-20 09:38:53

I would have used it as a shortening for Georgia if you didn't like Georgina, it would have given her more options.

Ditzyduck Mon 14-Dec-20 09:46:38

I have a Georgia who's now a teenager and she's just called George now. I definitely prefer it to Daisy and all the other girly Milly, Molly, Lola names which are cute when they are small but not so much so as they grow up, where as Georg(I)e is a versatile stronger name.

Lol1234000194 Tue 15-Dec-20 13:27:58

U can't change her name might as well sa rifice her to the gods and have a new one

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in