Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

carrying out dissertation research!!

(4 Posts)
researchingmotherhood Tue 27-Feb-18 19:14:13

Hello, I am hoping to do some research into how young children learn new life skills!! I am a student researcher at Exeter university, we are hoping to look at how levels of parental boredom influence in a child's engagement levels (as we have seen that lack of engagement will influence how a child learns). If you have the time, and are parenting a child between the ages of 3-6, please could you take the time to carry out our survey? It should take about 15 mins or so- thanks so much!! grin

squizita Tue 27-Feb-18 20:28:53

Could the questions be clearer - "my activities" for example, needs some examples. I'm easily distracted from ironing but not from reading, easily distracted when watching cartoons with my child but not when playing physically. Yes/no is going to get false results.

I'm guessing you'll want to differentiate between high-achieving boredom-driven-imagination/striving in parents and staring-vacantly-and-not-bothered boredom.

squizita Tue 27-Feb-18 20:55:28

... sorry on phone and it keeps sending.

With the child questions there are also some inconsistencies- whilst you have lot outs for kids not at nursery:
- you don't have an opt out for volunteering for working parents (who could not volunteer regardless of parenting style) such as 'I am at work during school hours'.
- On the driving question, you don't have an opt out for "I cannot drive/do not own a car". A highly attentive and protective parent simply might not drive.

Sorry. I've conducted a lot of research into learning and parenting myself so can see where confusion might arise.

squizita Tue 27-Feb-18 21:02:44

Argh sorry last thing. Use of "appropriate" in your behaviours - some 'excessive' or 'inappropriate' behaviours vary by age. The wording might put off parents of developmentally average three year olds from being honest - it is expected for a three year old to be unable to delay gratification in a way that it is not for a 6 year old, for example.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now