Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Should I keep on with blogging?

(7 Posts)
SALTformysquid Thu 25-Jan-18 15:25:59

I was quite keen to start for the following reasons:

1) collect together all the resources and tips I've found while supporting my speech delayed DD

2) the sanity aspect of processing some of the more stressful experiences by writing

3) a social media outlet for my next professional project (I'm coding up some apps for speech delay - the apps I wished were there for us iyswim).

My domain is up for renewal - and I'm not sure it's worth keeping going

1) the engagement figures are pitiful. I don't have a lot of energy to self promote - and not sure it's even worth it.

2) I haven't made as much progress as I'd hoped with writing up all the apps and resources and stuff that I found

3) I wonder if things like medium.com are where the future is for this kind of thing, and I should re-orient

4) my posts keep diverging away from my mission statement into other stuff (e.g. autism, general life stress)....

5) ... and I wonder if writing about my life more broadly means I risk burned on the privacy aspect - posting something about my kids that I then regret releasing.

6) for which reason 75% of what I write is in private diaries

7) whether it's irrelevant anyway - and I should just stick to the core life plan of software development - and stop overthinking the 'how will I communicate with my market' angle.

8) I'm so insanely busy I don't really read blogs myself any more - so I'm not making friends in the community

9) I'll never Vlog - and that's what the direction of the market seems to be

I also tweet - but that's also not exactly on fire - not least because I mainly interact with software developers right now.

Www.saltformysquid.com

StripeySoul Thu 25-Jan-18 17:11:16

Well - if you don't read blogs - why do you think anyone will bother to read yours?

MaybeDoctor Thu 25-Jan-18 17:37:57

Yes, I think so.
I think that you need some content up there on the web, to provide a context for your product or services. There doesn’t need to be a ton of it, as long as it is good quality.

I too am cautious about privacy. Take out names and use non-specific pictures perhaps?

SALTformysquid Thu 25-Jan-18 20:06:50

There's nothing identifying on there right now - but once I link in to my business that surely is out of the window entirely?

SALTformysquid Thu 25-Jan-18 21:17:50

( but conversely, once I strip out the stuff that truthfully reflects our experience - I lose the heart of the whole enterprise .... and still have the problem of low engagement/ possibly the wrong strategy for my aims etc etc )

MaybeDoctor Thu 25-Jan-18 22:27:49

What about a pseudonym?

SALTformysquid Thu 25-Jan-18 22:52:52

Squid Mother is what I travel under - but surely that anonymity collapses unless I am secretive about the connection between my software development business and my blog.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: