Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

University Accommodation

(10 Posts)
yphtutor Sun 24-Sep-17 19:43:19

My son has just gone back to uni for his second year. The accommodation is not fit for human habitation, vomit, broken glass, vermin droppings and urine in his dining area! No curtains/blinds, filthy stained carpet and chair, heating on full blast thermostat not working, bin outside stinks, can't get into block if goes out, no maintenance has obviously been carried out for years, really! Peeling paint, pubic hairs In the bathrooms which is disgusting in so many ways, no freezer, sliding doors to his wardrobe/sink have stuck so can't even open them to get to his toothbrush to brush his teeth. Complained a week ago and nothing has changed. Been offered another room even worse stained carpet than his now! Absolutely disgusting, he is now ill and very dejected and guess what, he is studying bio medicine in the hope of one day becoming a doctor. If this how we should be treating anyone? Absolute squalor!

NerrSnerr Sun 24-Sep-17 19:54:18

Is it university accommodation or a shared house? Could he try and find a room in a house? (There's often adverts this time of year as people drop out over summer).

NerrSnerr Sun 24-Sep-17 19:55:04

Who moved him? Was it the university accommodation dept?

yphtutor Sun 24-Sep-17 20:27:04

Sorry I haven't used this before and I'm not really sure how it works which is why it has taken me so me so long to respond, apologies. The uni put him there its a long story but suffice to say the focus is the state of the accommodation. It is disgusting and you may well ask why do you leave him there then? The answer is that he is not able to commute there on a daily basis and he wants to get his degree. I have constantly emailed the university and we went there again this week, a week after my initial complaint, nothing has changed!

yphtutor Sun 24-Sep-17 20:31:15

Sorry didn't fully answer your question, it's an affluent area of London rents high. Only saw his accommodation when we moved him in too late really! His fault and our fault but the state of the accommodation is disgraceful.

Tara336 Sun 24-Sep-17 20:32:37

The state of some of the shared houses is shocking! My daughters in second year was a disgrace if I'd seen it before she signed I'd have said no way can you live there. Apparently it was one of the better places she viewed! We had to wash carpets, reprint walls and fix furniture before she could use the room.

NerrSnerr Sun 24-Sep-17 20:33:52

Has he directly spoken to the accommodation office? As it's unfit could he get his money back so he can move to somewhere private? Could he ask someone from the accommodation services to look at his room? I think it's something he has to directly, the university are more likely to respond to him in person then from an email from a parent.

yphtutor Sun 24-Sep-17 20:37:32

Omg I have sent so many emails spoken to so many people, they have looked at his room and agreed it is 'far below any decent level of expectation' and they have apologised and offered me a refund. I don't want a refund, I want him to be ok. We are going next week with a carpet cleaner, a tin of paint, we have bought posters and a rug and we have already tried to clean it as best we can. Complete disgrace.

yphtutor Sun 24-Sep-17 20:46:02

Education is now a business, they are exploiting our children. Charging extortionate money and putting them in complete hovels and not responding to parents concerns. They are very quick to pull the he's an adult now card, but my responsibility doesn't stop there, I will always be concerned for his welfare no matter how old he is.

yphtutor Mon 25-Sep-17 18:12:44

Thank you everyone who has responded

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now