Advanced search

Mother in law problem please help

(12 Posts)
user1499123480 Tue 04-Jul-17 00:33:47

Hi all I need advice!!!
My little girl is 6 months old, old enough to start weaning! BUT! She suffers very badly with acid reflux, our doc thinks that it's the cause of her tremors while feeding. So although I really want her to enjoy all sorts of tasty treats... she can't! The other day I asked my health visitor and also the doc what things to avoid full stop. She told me citrus, tomato based foods and chocolate, so obv I want to go with that as I'm her mother and I don't want to cause her any suffering, but when I told my partners mum she laughed and shrugged it off basically saying screw what the doc and hv says she's going to give my daughter the foods anyways... and for my parners birthday this is exactly what happened...she said she was gunna give her chocolate cake so I said no she cannot have it at all... this is when she had a right go at me and just completely kicked off at me! What do I do ? I cannot afford childcare or to be off work and she has her while I'm at work. I know for a fact she will still be giving her the food.

OP’s posts: |
AngelaTwerkel Tue 04-Jul-17 00:40:54

Your MIL won't change, so you'll have to come up with another plan for childcare. There's no other option - you know she'll feed your child foods that will cause her to suffer, not just in the short term either as continued reflux can cause terrible damage.

Laurenxo Thu 06-Jul-17 00:17:19

You and ur partner as parents have the last say on what your child should be eating/allowed, Your MIL should be listening to you as u know whats best for your baby especially having reflux she shudnt want to give her things that will make it worse surely?

Kikiartist Fri 07-Jul-17 10:13:24

My My, you absolutely need alternative childcare. Check out registered childminders online some very reasonable. Obviously do your own checks on them n follow your gut feeling.
Your MIL is wrong not to listen. I agree I don't think she will change. I feel for you but take charge now or she might take over big time

Mivery Tue 11-Jul-17 20:35:24

What a witch of a woman. Why would she want to give her grandchild food that she knows is going to cause her pain?

Can your partner help out on this at all?

user1499123480 Wed 16-Aug-17 22:54:35

Unfortunately not, we don't have any say in fact they know so much that we are really bad parents.....

OP’s posts: |
user1499123480 Wed 16-Aug-17 23:00:10

Well yesterday my LO nearly had bits of a very greasy kebab by my partners step dad even the the HV said that she is over weight now and needs to cut down on bottles and food but it seems everytime my baby girl cries she just gets fed instead of anything it's just food all the time, if we had the money to move out again we would but we just can't seem to get out of the situation I'm at a loss of what to do in looking at my baby thinking I really wish I could give up work and make sure you are getting the right diet and care

OP’s posts: |
LSJini Thu 17-Aug-17 19:11:35

Hey hope this helps, as all this is a problem with you mother in law, you can do anything because you cant afford, so don't worry about that and think about how you can help you baby.
You need a solution, so what you can do is boil your daughter some nice warm water to drink when you get home, and massage her belly, from the left side down, that will help her to calm her stomach, you can speak to a homeopathic doctor who can help you to get some homeopathic remedies for acid reflux it doesn't cost much you can find it in Neals yard remedies or The Organic Pharmacy you can go in and talk to a homeopath there, Kings Road, or high street Kensington, or even the store in hampstead.

BIWI Thu 17-Aug-17 19:20:00


wizzywig Thu 17-Aug-17 19:28:47

I dont understand biwi?

coriliavijvaad Thu 17-Aug-17 19:29:16

Leaving you child with someone who you know is going to feed her food that will make her ill makes you as culpable as the person who is mistreating her. You wouldn't put your daughter in a car being driven by someone who is drunk and lost their licence for dangerous driving. You wouldn't let your daughter spend the day with someone who has an uncontrolled aggressive dog. There are foods that will harm your child and it is up to you to protect her from them. What would you do if your mum was out of the picture? That is a scenario that could happen any day anyway so work out what you would do if you couldn't rely on your mum for childcare. Because you actually can't.

BIWI Thu 17-Aug-17 21:32:38

@wizzywig - at least 3 of these posters are first time posters. Posting on bloggers' chat, which is a bizarre place to post. And with just a touch of a goady OP, about MILs.

I've reported.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in