Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Job interview advice

(4 Posts)
user1497269117 Mon 12-Jun-17 13:22:01

Hi, I have been invited to an assessment for the post of dispatcher in the call centre for WM police. I think that they follow a competency based style assessment process. I have a list of types of questions that they may ask but other than that I am clueless. Has anyone attended one of these and is able to advice me on what to expect please? Will I be asked to do a literacy or numeracy test? Its impossible to prepare when you have no idea.
Would love to hear from yousmile

newmumwithquestions Mon 12-Jun-17 13:24:49

Know nothing about police interviews but have done some competency ones. Structure your answers to STAR - situation (what was the problem/project), task (what was your role, actions (what did you do), result (did it work, what improvement did your actions take)

Scotsmum2017 Sun 18-Jun-17 22:18:32

I have interviewed many people in a competency based interview. The one thing that lets people down are poor examples, not sticking to STARR approach and telling what the team did, rather than using "I did this..." However don't know about police interview boards. Hope this helps & good luck xx

TinselTwins Sat 01-Jul-17 21:01:42

When they've got competencies to tick off, you need to demonstrate as many of them as possible via your examples.

So no good if all of your examples demonstrate 1 characteristic if they have a list of 5 on front of them

Also no good if you go into a lot of depth and give a wonderful example that only shows 1 characteristic.

Try to find out what the characteristics are, and make sure you've talked about all of them. It's not secret just do some googling/asking around and you should get a list, then use them to scafold your examples.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now