We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Coughing to point of being sick

(9 Posts)
SarahKate1 Thu 09-Mar-17 13:09:25

Hello, I am new to MumsNet, but hoped someone could give me some advice. I have such an awful cough, which I have had for two weeks now. I have about 5 to 10 coughing fits a day (day and night) and I would say most of them end up with me vomiting....y. TMI here..but...an hour ago, I must have coughed for near half an hour, and during the "fit" was physically sick 6 times. It started with mucus, then food, then bile. I had to drink water, so I could actually bring something up as it turned to dry heaving. This is not rare this last two weeks. My partner says it could be Whooping Cough, as she had this when she was about 13, but I am sure I had that three years ago. I am 23, a mum of 1 (not pregnant now) and live in the UK. I cannot afford to lose weight, as I am only 7 stone, but cannot keep anything down. I am crying my eyes out right now. Any advice, as I feel awful. It is also embarrassing, as threw up all down myself in town yesterday due to coughing. Thanks Rebecca x

SarahKate1 Fri 10-Mar-17 12:53:59

Just had another hours "fit". Been soooooooooooooo SICK !! Ergh !

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Fri 10-Mar-17 13:10:06

You need to see a doctor.

LBOCS2 Fri 10-Mar-17 13:14:12

Having separate fits of coughing with nothing in between, and coughing so hard that you vomit are both diagnostic symptoms of whooping cough. I agree with the PP - you really need to see a dr.

Babymamamama Fri 10-Mar-17 13:16:57

I had similar symptoms years ago - was fobbed off and fobbed off by gp and eventually took myself to a and e. A chest x Ray showed pneumonia plus pleurisy. I made full recovery. Take care of yourself and do be pushy for a hospital referral if you don't improve.

BlackMirror Fri 10-Mar-17 13:57:01

Go to the Dr?

SarahKate1 Thu 16-Mar-17 11:50:02

Thank you all. Went to Doctor, was actually sick from coughing while sat in front of him (so he knows how bad it is). Going for tests, but initial thoughts are Petusis (which seems to be Whooping Cough). Great !!! 100 day cough they say sad

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Thu 16-Mar-17 12:26:25

Good that you had a coughing fit in front of him so he could witness first hand how bad you are. At least now you can get answers and if it is whooping cough hopefully you're over the worst smile

SarahKate1 Thu 16-Mar-17 14:18:20

Thank you smile Sarah says if I give it to her, I'll have a lot more to worry about than coughing. Sympathy eh !!!! Rebecca x As much as I DON'T want the 100 day cough (and all that goes with it), I must admit "something more serious" did go through my mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now