Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Advice needed on morning after pill

(24 Posts)
Minnieme123 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:36:44

Hi, me and my husband had unprotected sex last week which was my last day of ovulation, the day after i went to the doctors and got the morning after pill, (we already have two children), since Thursday of last week ive felt rotten, sore boobs on and off, sickness, cold like symptoms and feeling tired, my question is could i be pregnant? Urgent advice needed going mad here

ThisProductContainsBatteries Mon 06-Feb-17 20:37:11

Yes. MAP won't work if you already ovulated.

NapQueen Mon 06-Feb-17 20:39:36

Deffo worth getting checked over. However - the one and only time I took the MAP I felt like a bag of shite for about 2 weeks afterwards. I'll never take it again it had such an impact on me.

Minnieme123 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:41:34

Really!!!!, dear me.... ive got cramp like symptoms also, it just feels like im going to come on my period, ive scanned and scanned the internet for advice, my last period was 18th jan, last day of ovulation was tuesday of last week, unprotected sex on the wednesday day after then morning after pill the day after that, surly my egg couldnt of got caught that quick, sorry never used this site before, both my son and daughter were planned.
Thank you for advice

Kmxxx14 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:46:04

It can still work if you've ovulated. It can stop the egg implanting. Chances are it will be fine and the symptoms you feel are period symptoms.

Fwiw however I had unprotected sex on my 14th day of cycle (28 day cycle) and took the MAP 20 hours later. It didn't work and my son is now 5 - so it can happen.

Good luck I'd take a test in a few days.

Minnieme123 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:46:40

I appreciate your advice ladies smile

ThisProductContainsBatteries Mon 06-Feb-17 20:47:45

The morning after pill only stops you ovulating. So if you've already ovulated it won't be effective. I'm always amazed this isn't more widely known.

Also you only ovulate on one day, you don't ovulate across several days. Sperm can in the body for up to 5 days so if you have sex in the week leading up to ovulation and then on ovulation day itself (plus perhaps the day after), then pregnancy may happen.

In your case I'd say yes if you had unprotected sex on weds 1st it would be very early for pregnancy symptoms. Just wait a few days and do a test.

ThisProductContainsBatteries Mon 06-Feb-17 20:48:20

It can stop the egg implanting

This isn't true. A common misconception.

Minnieme123 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:48:33

Thank u xx
My daughters 7 and my son is two, never used morning after pill before, never had to as both babies planned... x

scaevola Mon 06-Feb-17 20:49:15

Of course MAP can only fail if you have ovulated!

And it's main action is to disrupt ovulation. But it has secondary actions in making the uterus less receptive to implantation, so it might work.

All the symptoms you describe can be side effects of MAP (and actually rather more likely to be because of the artificial hormones as it's highly unlikely to would have PG symptoms at CD20).

I'm afraid that, nail-biting as the wait might be, there is nothing you can do but wait. Test when AF would be due if it doesn't turn up (and that would also be about 14 days after the incident), then at intervals over the next 14 days until either AF turns up or you get a BFP. If neither, that's the time to seek medical advice.

ThisProductContainsBatteries Mon 06-Feb-17 20:49:49

The coil will prevent the egg implanting, which is why you can have it put in up to 5 days after unprotected sex. The MAP does not.

Minnieme123 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:52:38

The morning after pill is confusing!!!!
Yes had unprotected sex on ovolation day which was wed 1st feb, then seen doctor the day after and took mirning after pill 19 hours later

Minnieme123 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:55:44

Its lovely to know that women like myself can come on here and get advice from other ladies like yourself i appreciate everyones comments...... ill have no nails left soon

ThisProductContainsBatteries Mon 06-Feb-17 20:56:01

If you had sex on ovulation day I'd say the MAP has quite a high chance of being unsuccessful.

However how do you know it was O day? Were you taking your temperature? That's the only accurate method of determining exactly when you ovulated.

Minnieme123 Mon 06-Feb-17 21:08:20

I track my ovalation, period and change in mucus (tmi i know sorry), have done since trying for both my children

NapQueen Mon 06-Feb-17 21:22:57

You may need to buy some condoms

Minnieme123 Mon 06-Feb-17 21:27:44

Appointment already made to discuss contraception

Minnieme123 Tue 07-Feb-17 20:30:23

Anyone else had the same experience as me?; 5 days since took morning after pill had slight cramping in back but no bleed

NapQueen Tue 07-Feb-17 20:33:45

If you had sex 8 days ago then I'd give it another 7 days and pee on a stick.

Minnieme123 Tue 07-Feb-17 20:55:56

Nap queen, thank you for your advice

Minnieme123 Tue 07-Feb-17 20:57:29

Do you think i could be pregnant tho?

NapQueen Tue 07-Feb-17 21:00:05

You had unprotected sex.

Anyone who has unprotected sex could get pregnant. Doesn't matter what time of the month.

That's sex education lesson 1.

Kmxxx14 Tue 07-Feb-17 21:01:10

When I took the MAP (and was still pregnant) I got cramps in my lower abdomen. Like a period cramp but more intense.

It could really go either way to be honest. The back cramps could be your period starting or it could be pregnancy. Of course there is a chance (albeit quite small) that you could be pregnant as the MAP isn't 100% effective.

What were your early pregnancy symptoms previously?

Minnieme123 Tue 07-Feb-17 21:05:28

Thinking i could smell things when others couldnt, wanting to eat strange things

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now