Advanced search

Child protection plan HELP

(6 Posts)
3kids1dad Tue 18-Oct-16 07:25:42

My two baby girls (now 6 and 5) have been on a cpp for 2 years now. It started when my eldest had an accident, hospital reported it etc. As of now, the current he adding for it is 'emotional abuse' based on the frequent arguments their mum and I were having (never physical, but often screaming, slamming doors etc).
A year ago, their mum got pregnant by another guy (not the first time she had cheated) and frankly it was the last straw and we moved apart. All three kids stayed with her, despite her documented alcoholism which aggravated her epilepsy, the fact she screams and swears at the kids.
Anyway, now finally social services have done all their parent tests and home visits etc and are unhappy with the conditions of her house, the obvious fact she still drinks heavily, her seizures are bombing more frequent etc. She has been offered vast amounts of home support, which she has refused/not stayed in to meet them/etc to the point where they have all said they will not waste their time anymore.
SS have now stated (after numerous warnings and offers of help) that they are seeking advice from their legal team. That meeting is today. Last night, the social worker visited me and openly stated it is due to her that legal advice is being sought and that they are 'very happy' with 'no problem at all' with the reports and assessments done on me.
Based on a Google search, the options of this meeting seem to be to extend the cpp or change custody arrangements.

The question is, does anyone know of other options, or how quick this stage of things go? To be honest, I'm fully expecting a call after this meeting to say they have decided I get custody, but have no idea if the decision would be immediate or would i be given a window in which to arrange the kids stuff being moved, give my boss notice etc?
Although the third child (aged one) is not mine, I have made it clear that if he is also removed from her care, he is to come to me with my daughters, not any type of foster care. His father is not on the scene, or birth certificate, and I have been told by her that he died (although she often has an issue with the truth) and SS seemed happy with the possible arrangement.

OP’s posts: |
Mozfan1 Tue 18-Oct-16 07:36:08

Hi op, didn't want to read and run. I'm not really sure how long a procedure like this takes, but I'm guessing you will all be going to court so ss can present their evidence and then everyone will decide where to go from there. Do you have legal representation? May you be entitled to legal aid?

I would expect things will move quite quickly if things are as you say, but it does have to be decided by a judge; social services cannot remove children from the home without courts being involved.

I would expect they will want to do a -I can't remember the name of the meeting- basically a meeting where, if the children go to you, they meet with you, all your family who will be involved in helping you care for the children in order to see what support you have around you.

Sorry you are going through this, and sorry I can't be of more help! I'm sure someone with a lot more knowledge will be along soon

Good luck op

PoldarksBreeches Tue 18-Oct-16 07:39:14

It's really unusual for kids to be on CP plans for 2 years and at that point any children's services team should be seeking legal advice.
The point of legal advice is to consider what their options are within the law. They can't just 'decide' that the kids should come to you as they don't have the legal powers to male that decision. They can however apply to court with the care plan that they children move to your care. The magistrates will consider itand make that decision.
The courts are likely to prefer to keep the siblings together and due consideration will be given to you caring for the youngest as well, but you must remember this will potentially be a lifelong commitment similar to adoption and you have to be prepared for that.

PoldarksBreeches Tue 18-Oct-16 07:40:35

Oh and they need to issue care proceedings in order for you to get legal aid. You shouldn't be expected to make a private law application under these circumstances (chronic emotional abuse and 2 year CP plans)

Mozfan1 Tue 18-Oct-16 07:42:43

Sorry if anything I said was a bit off poldark my experience is somewhat limited. I didn't know that about legal aid!!

Hope it works out op

sunnyjune Fri 27-Apr-18 21:45:25

I wonder how this worked out?
Hope you are all ok, OP.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in