Talk

Advanced search

Absent Father

(7 Posts)
amansvoice2015 Wed 30-Sep-15 13:34:52

Can i ask that the term 'absent father' be outlawed as an offensive and derogatory term? I know some men out there are useless and want nothing to do with their children, but there are just as many men who have be separated from their children through no choice of their own.
I know of a man in London who's wife cheated on him. She moved to the Midlands with her 'new man', and wouldn't allow the Father to see his children.
He got a court order to gain access to his children, but every time he was due to visit his children, the mother would make an excuse that they couldn't see him. The Judge would not enforce the order because his only recourse would be to jail the mother, and he was not prepared to do that.
So this poor man has been cheated on by his wife, then had his heart ripped out by having his children taken away from him. To make it worse he has to put up with the offensive and derogatory term 'Absent Father' by the likes of David Cameron.
There does seem to be an awful lot of man haters on here, so I don't expect a great response, but please show compassion to men who are separated from their children through no fault of their own,

stop using the term ' ABSENT FATHER' , it is OFFENSIVE.

Thank you.

OddSocksHighHeels Wed 30-Sep-15 14:34:11

Your friend needs to get a solicitor and get back to court.

When people say "absent father" they're talking about the men who want nothing to do with their DC, refuse to pay maintenance etc. They are not criticising somebody who has been proactive in trying to remain an active and good parent so the term shouldn't be seen as offensive by those men.

You will have put a lot of backs up by describing MNer's as man-haters btw as it just isn't true. The vast majority on here want DC to have parents who care and are involved in their lives.

OddSocksHighHeels Wed 30-Sep-15 14:36:52

Actually I've re-read and you don't say it's a friend, you say he's a man that you know of. How can you be so sure that the story you hear is accurate?

LisbethSalandersLaptop Wed 30-Sep-15 14:41:31

I daresay the 'man you know of' has an ex who would have quite a different story.
Nobody would call a dad an 'absent father' if he was doing his best and spending time with his kids.

Girlfriend36 Wed 30-Sep-15 14:47:44

Not sure how else I would describe my dds father hmm he has never met her - completely his choice!! He is an absent father - what else is he??

DreamingOfThruxtons Wed 30-Sep-15 14:52:27

Yep. The term 'man hater' certainly puts my back up. You might want to re-think your language and initial approach.

'Absent father', however, is a term I would only use for a man who was absent from his children's lives by choice.

Someone who prevented a man from having a relationship with his children for no good reason? I would expect them to get short shrift from most people on here.

JessicaFletchersEyes Wed 30-Sep-15 14:56:17

Most terms are offensive when misapplied.

Your OP lacks logic.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: