Talk

Advanced search

new mum child with Nystagmus wanting to start a blog help!

(11 Posts)
Kerriw14 Fri 08-May-15 17:15:52

hi everyone out there! I'm in need of a bit of help from everyone!

I want to start a blog, my son was diagnosed yesterday with Nystagmus and i would like to start one to document our journey (i have wanted to do a blog of ages but this has given me the push to actually do it instead of daydreaming about it). one thing is stopping me. I have NO idea where to start! i have googled the common phrase 'how to start a blog' and get pages and pages of 'free' start up pages etc. I was looking for some advise on how to actually create a blog or a website??

I also wanted to get peoples thoughts on the name for my blog, after playing about with several names, I want to call it The N Word, what are your thoughts on it please?

Thanks all for looking smile

MrsNextDoor Fri 08-May-15 21:21:50

I would try Blogger...it's easy to use and easy to publish your work on there. They also give suggestions for blogs you might like to read and so link up with other bloggers...then you will get more readers.

I wouldn't call the it "The N Word" purely because people will automatically assume it's a blog about racism.

Kerriw14 Fri 08-May-15 21:47:11

thank you I will give that a go!

I agree I wasn't sure what people would think it was about - back to the drawing board! smile

MmeLindor Fri 08-May-15 22:05:45

I agree with the N word being problematic. Think about what you want your blog to represent, and whether you want to tie it down to this one topic. You say, you've thought about doing it for years, so maybe you will love blogging and find that you want to write about other things, other than your son's condition. With a more general name, you can change later if you want.

To start out, I'd use Blogger, as it's easy to use. You can always move to a fancier platform later, if you want to personalise your blog more.

Kerriw14 Fri 08-May-15 22:19:43

Hi Mmelindor your so right and funny you say that i have written down all my ideas on paper for this blog and definitely want to make my blog about other things (i.e. returning to work etc) and not just about his condition, I have come up with lots of topics etc I am so stuck on the name!

MmeLindor Fri 08-May-15 22:23:24

Think about your personality, and your likes and dislikes. My blog is called Salt&Caramel, cause it's my favourite ice cream, and because I blog about the sweet and the bitter side of life - I don't just share fluffy stuff that happens to me!

What kind of things do you want to blog about?

Kerriw14 Fri 08-May-15 22:28:52

Completely agree, When I first want to start blogging I wanted to express those maybe not so 'positive' feelings we have when we have a baby, those days we want to lock ourselves in the bathroom ad scream, those days we want to hit our OH with a frying pan because when the baby is crying, those encouraging words 'he is a baby, its what baby's do' comes out of his mouth! about not just the upsides but the downside, but also about the things i as a woman love to do, beauty products, my struggles with wanting to be a size 8 but wanting to eat a whole tub of ben and jerry peanut buttercup ice cream. sort of maybe a 'big world, little woman' type of title maybe?

MmeLindor Fri 08-May-15 22:36:15

I like BigWorldLittleWoman. Catchy!

I know what you mean. My mum used to say 'Oh, you were terrible for crying all day at that age', and at some point I sat down and told her that her comments were not helpful, and I just wanted someone to say, 'Oh, poor you. You have a seat and I'll take the baby for a bit so you can have a cup of tea in peace'.

Kerriw14 Fri 08-May-15 22:49:44

Exactly! thats all you need is to put your feet up knowing you don't need to burn your throat getting a cuppa down your neck before the screaming starts again or the next feed, nappy change etc etc etc (the endless never ending list!)

yes, i like that I'm going to go with that title smile

MmeLindor Fri 08-May-15 22:57:13

Oh, fab. Are you on Twitter? Do let me know when you have it set up - I'm @lynncschreiber on there. Or pop onto www.saltandcaramel.com and say hello!

Kerriw14 Fri 08-May-15 23:00:53

ah fab i am!i will b sure to let you know when I'm up and running and look forward to reading and joining your blog smile thanks you for all your help too!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: