Advanced search

Moving home with your child after a break up

(15 Posts)
mariaandmatteo Tue 14-Apr-15 20:25:36

I am a full-time working mum of a 7 years old boy.
I have been living with my partner for almost 2 years and he is not the father of my child.
Unfortunately, things haven't worked out and now I am forced to move on and find a new place for me and my boy.
I live and work in central London, the school is in central too.
I am trying to figure things out and it's a bit of a shock to have to rebuild my life all over again.
I need to rent a place that is suitable for me and my child but also affordable.
I have been looking for studio flats, but the ones in central are very small for my budget.
I have also considered to rent a room in a 2 bedroom flat, but I have lots of doubts since I have a kid with me.
I don't really know what to do and I am trying to move forward somehow.
I was wondering if anyone of you out there has any suggestions or idea on how I can find the best solution for me and my child.

MrsFlannel Tue 14-Apr-15 22:42:45

First question...does your partner own the place you're living in now? Or is that rented also?

mariaandmatteo Wed 15-Apr-15 07:53:00

We are renting. I can leave when I am ready to leave or I can wait September when my contract runs out.

MrsFlannel Wed 15-Apr-15 08:44:10

Are you still with your ex in that house? Is it that you can't afford the rent alone? You would get help with rent if you were living there as a single parent.

MrsFlannel Wed 15-Apr-15 08:44:20

Benefits I mean.

mariaandmatteo Wed 15-Apr-15 09:37:28

we are still together in the same house. I spoke to the council in the past too and my salary is too high to get real Help but it's not high enough to cover rent and expenses of a single mum with a kid. I had tax credit before but I had a registered childminder.
I am working really hard to get a better job and to try and get a better salary.

MrsFlannel Wed 15-Apr-15 11:05:12

Could you get a friend to move into the house with you? get your partner to leave...and have someone come and lodge? Rentals are very expensive in London I agree...

mariaandmatteo Wed 15-Apr-15 12:58:04

The thing is .. I pay the 30-40% of the entire value of the flat. The amount left is way to high to rent the other room. So it's easier for him to rent the room with my share that not the other way around.
I am asking also to mums at my sons school if they have a room, maybe finding another mum with a kid it might be easier.
I don't know ...

mariaandmatteo Wed 15-Apr-15 13:08:09

Btw thanks a lot for your time and your advice. I really appreciate it ��
I am trying to think at as many options as I can.

Shortandsweet20 Wed 15-Apr-15 13:18:10

Do you rent from a landlord or estate agents, maybe ask them and see if they can help you out?
Do you have any family you could stay with until you can find somewhere - or are they not in the area?

MrsFlannel Wed 15-Apr-15 13:30:54

This is extremely difficult for you and shows JUST why we need more affordable housing...especially in London!

here is a very good link it's all about housing for single Mothers...there's a separate one for Dads. It's called Only Mums and there's some very good information and advice on there.

MrsFlannel Wed 15-Apr-15 13:32:44

And here is a forum with single parents looking for house and flatshares. Be very careful though...if you go to see any flats or houses go without your child initially and try to take another adult with you....let others know where you are going.

mariaandmatteo Wed 15-Apr-15 13:50:29

Thanks a lot. Both links are very helpful.
It's nice to know that if you reach out, there are people out there willing to help you ��

MrsFlannel Wed 15-Apr-15 14:08:34

You can also look at Gingerbread. They're an organisation set up to help and advise single parents on all issues they face. They're very good.

mariaandmatteo Wed 15-Apr-15 14:45:32

That's awaome. Thanks ��

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »