Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Parents and restrictions

(4 Posts)
Crisrina24 Tue 20-Jan-15 10:00:25

Hi, I'm Cristina , I'm 16 years old, I have a boyfriend that is 17, we've been together for 1 year but now my parents wants me to break up with him because : - they say that he doesn't respect them ( but he does actually) so they say that if he doesn't respect them he doesn't respect me (fact that I think that is not true because yes they are my parents but I'm not them) also because he has a different style ( clothes) and his every time wearing sports clothes ( fact that my mum hates). So they said that if I won't break up with him they will go to the police and they will ask for a restriction for him not to see or something like that. Well now my question is: can the do that? what can happen if they can? can I do something about it?

ninetynineonehundred Tue 20-Jan-15 13:13:25

Why do they think that he doesn't respect them?
Going to the police is quite a big thing to do. What are their reasons?

Crisrina24 Tue 20-Jan-15 13:51:51

They say that he doesn't respect them because at my birthday last year in august apparently he didn't say hi to no one but he did everyone remember about it also on Christmas day they came to pick me up from one party my boyfriend came with me and he let me go in the car he came next to it he was waiting 5 min. for my parent to put down the window but they didn't so he get away from the car he waved and he just go home. These are the reasons kind of more or less ...

ninetynineonehundred Tue 20-Jan-15 19:52:24

To answer your original question,
Yes of course they can. Anyone can go to the police about anything.
What will happen is that the police will need to be convinced that there is a problem or that an offence has been committed.
What you can do is try to calmly talk to your parents and find out why exactly they are not happy. Listen properly to what they say even if you don't agree. Getting angry won't help. Try and understand where they are coming from.
Then take some time to think, on your own and honestly, if they have a point about any of it. Then try and talk to them calmly about your own feelings about it.
If he doesn't respect them then they have every right to be upset about it. Only you know if he really does seem to respect you. Waiting 5 minutes by the side of the car seems rather confrontational.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: