Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Teenager afraid to be alone at night

(3 Posts)
cornishquarrygirl7 Wed 07-Jan-15 15:49:19

My daughter has never been a good sleeper since being a baby, she has always been up and down the stairs and jumping into our bed on and off. She is now getting panic attacks sleeping alone in her own bed. She says she doesn't like being alone. She will stay in the house by day alone as we have neighbours but sleeps with me at night.
She knows this is not normal and I have tried marching her back to bed lots of times. I have also been to the doctor who referred us to a councillor, but the councillor asks that someone from school makes contact with them and I don;t really think it is a school matter as all is normal at school (I have spoken to her tutor).
I am not sure what to do to help her, has anyone experienced this with their child and any advice please??

MrsEricBana Wed 07-Jan-15 19:19:53

Hi, We have had v similar with our ds. He has never self settled, couldn't go on sleepovers or residential trips, wanted to sleep with us, up early etc. He had counselling last year at age 13. The counsellor was wonderful but it made no difference. He is just now growing out of it aged 14 and 4 months but still has to settle listening to audio book etc. No one I know can quite believe it or has any experience of it. Until v recently I used to settle him by reading to him, settling him, then reassuring him that I would go back after 1 min, then 2 min then 5 etc till he was asleep. How old is your dd?

Sapph1e Wed 07-Jan-15 19:21:05

Poor girl sad Sounds like anxiety to me with an underlying problem. If this were my daughter I would be seeking a low dose of a tranquillising drug for immediate help and then CBT.
You're right - what on earth has the school got to do with anything?!
Fwiw I e suffered horrendously with anxiety all my life, only just realising how badly now, and if I were you I would indulge her fears for the time being. Let her sleep with you, maybe move an extra bed in?? Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now