Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Present for my Terminally Ill Mum

(12 Posts)
Abidan68 Sun 01-Dec-13 21:33:06

My Mum is 72 and is dying of cancer. This is her last Christmas and I dont know what to buy her as a present. I want to get her something that isnt morbid or acknowledges that she is so poorly, but something that lets her know how much I love her. I just dont know what to get her? Any ideas? If I ask her she says nothing = she has everything she needs in that she has her family around her.

jane1995 Sun 01-Dec-13 21:47:28

sorry to hear about your mother, is she able to move around? if so you could just take her to somewhere she likes going for the day? not really a present but little things are the best things.

SundaySimmons Sun 01-Dec-13 21:50:30

Silk pyjamas for when she is feeling unwell but has visitors and wants to look,and feel nice.

www.savilerowco.com/Pink-Satin-Stripe-Women-s-Pyjamas/pid-lpj803ros?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CJe0_baAkLsCFSoOwwodpXYAsw

BoffinMum Sun 01-Dec-13 21:52:29

Cashmere or soft wool cushion and matching pashmina. That's what I got my MIL. I also got her a hot water bottle with a really pretty angora and ribbon cover.

SundaySimmons Sun 01-Dec-13 21:53:48

Perhaps if she has most things, the gift of fresh flowers every week. Especially scented ones.

Or pay for a hair dresser to visit once a week to wash, dry and style her hair.

Or a masseuse for a foot massage each week.

BoffinMum Sun 01-Dec-13 21:58:42

These are so brilliant. My DD got me a pair after I had DC4 and they were so comfortable.

White Company cashmere bed socks

DziezkoDisco Sun 01-Dec-13 22:13:52

Sorry to hear this. How about a weekend away if she is up for it. Somewhere meaningful to you both or relaxing. Or a box of things that remind you of your childhood and beyond with her and other family memories? Perhaps everyone could ontribute their favourite memory?

DearDinah Sun 01-Dec-13 22:20:11

We're getting MIL a voucher for gentle aromatherapy massage, she misses the comfort she got from the free massage sessions in the early stages.
So sorry x

ZombieMonkeyButler Sun 01-Dec-13 22:20:54

So sorry to hear about your mum OP. I've lost both of my lovely parents to cancer, it truly is a bastard.

The last gift I gave Dad was a photo of my DCs in a lovely frame. He had it in the hospice with him & was thrilled when anyone complimented him on it.

With mum, we didn't know she was dying until 3 hours before but the last birthday gift I gave her was a huge bouquet for her 70th. 6 weeks later she'd gone.

DearDinah Mon 02-Dec-13 09:46:21

I've just found out about this
www.amazon.co.uk/Dear-Mum-you-Journals-Lifetime/dp/1907048006/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385977495&sr=8-1&keywords=dear+mum+from+you+to+me
Seems a nice idea.

KateDavis Sat 07-Dec-13 09:15:11

I'm sorry to hear about your Mum.

Mine died last year a few weeks after her birthday. I made her a compilation of pictures of her, my sister and me. You can see it at the bottom of this post http://www.darktea.co.uk/blog/memories-of-my-mum

However, the best gift I gave her (which was not a birthday present) was a picture of my son enjoying being on a swing for the first time. We were on holiday and I took it on my phone and emailed it up to her. Apparently it was put in a frame the same day and moved around the house with her.

I know she also really appreciated the leopard print pyjamas one of my cousins gave her.

KateDavis Sat 07-Dec-13 09:17:17

Forgot to click the convert links button. Here it is again, just to make it easier if you want to have a look
www.darktea.co.uk/blog/memories-of-my-mum

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: