Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

How do you get visitors to Comment on your Blog?

(9 Posts)
AndyAgides Tue 21-May-13 10:16:18

Hi I have been writing a little under a month now, and whilst I'm delighted by the number of hits, I would love more comments to be left. Feedback is a really helpful and invigorating part of the process for me and if you have ideas on how to get more readers to leave a comment or even just a remark! I'd be very grateful.

andyagides.blogspot.co.uk/

WeightWars Tue 21-May-13 11:26:26

I think you have to just keep writing, do you ask a question or evoke a response at the end of your blog ? Do you comment on other blogs?

It's taken a good length of time for me to build up regular comments, build links with other bloggers, communicate with people.

AndyAgides Tue 21-May-13 13:48:10

Thank you Weight wars, I am perhaps a little impatient, its just a shame so many visitors so few comments.I'll keep blogging along.

HappySnail Wed 22-May-13 17:41:15

I'm in a similar position - that's just to let you know you're not on your own! I agree though that patience and persistence are what's going to get us there in the end.

Keep going!

firawla Wed 22-May-13 19:00:30

Comment on other people's blogs and network a bit within the blogging community can help. Also as mentioned, asking questions at the end of posts. I only started blogging recently too and before as I blog reader, I didn't always comment that much as I thought people may be wondering like err who are you, do I know you, why are you commenting?? but now after starting myself, I realised people do like comments - But putting a Q at the end does invite people to comment more if they felt the way I described.

ethelb Wed 22-May-13 20:36:27

I really like your subject matter. Really unusual.

However, the template you are using is unreadable. So much so I couldnt be bothered to find a way to comment.

Plus your domain isnt v seo friendly, it needs to make it clear it is a 'dad' or 'parenting' blog and you need to put that in your description.

Could you write posts that are offerung advice or asking questions? People tend to comment on that.

KateDavis Wed 22-May-13 23:16:42

It is an interesting question and one I've been wondering about recently. I've had many comments on my blog in the past, but then I took a break and I'm now rebuilding my network. I'm telling myself it takes time.

I read some stats today, that I can't remember the numbers, but in summary said there are 3 types of blog readers, a small numbers are fans who comments frequently, some comment occasionally and the majority are lurkers who don't comment. I think if you've got lurkers who keep reading your posts then you're doing okay smile

zanuda Sat 25-May-13 20:59:06

1. Q: what's the percentage of comments (/visits)?
2. Totally agree about comment form - should be available from the post. Should be a link to comment for the each post on the front page directly to comment form for this post.
3. It's better to show exerpts (announce) on the front page. This way you will show more then 1 post and have links to posts and comments the same time. Again, the way you have now - people read the post to the end see no way to comment and don't bother to go inside to read the comments and see link to comment form in the very end.
4. By the way, it's better to have link to the comment form right after the post even if the form itself goes after all the comments.

After you change these see what happens with comment percentage. Then go to stage 2 - commenting other blogs/forums/ on networks.

By the way, I'm struggling with comments myself grin. I'm on stage 2, but it doesn't go very well...

zanuda Sun 26-May-13 14:10:38

1. Q: what's the percentage of comments (/visits)?
2. Totally agree about comment form - should be available from the post. Should be a link to comment for the each post on the front page directly to comment form for this post.
3. It's better to show exerpts (announce) on the front page. This way you will show more then 1 post and have links to posts and comments the same time. Again, the way you have now - people read the post to the end see no way to comment and don't bother to go inside to read the comments and see link to comment form in the very end.
4. By the way, it's better to have link to the comment form right after the post even if the form itself goes after all the comments.

After you change these see what happens with comment percentage. Then go to stage 2 - commenting other blogs/forums/ on networks.

By the way, I'm struggling with comments myself grin. I'm on stage 2, but it doesn't go very well...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now