Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Retirement

(1 Post)

Following on from my hilarious blog yesterday about my ‘bucket list’ and death I thought that today I would talk about retirement, not from blogging you understand but from employment.

I had no plans to write about this, it’s just that I heard a debate on the radio earlier, so I thought that I would see how other people felt about it. The actual topic of the debate was ‘does retirement cause death’? This was enough to catch my attention, so I gleefully carried on listening so that I could silently mock these imbeciles.

As topics go this was one of those that are just as much ridiculous as it is compelling. It’s a little like Jeremy Kyle in the mornings (if you don’t know who he is then just Google and take a look, he is an angry little man who humiliates his guests), if I happen to see it on I find it a real wrench to switch off or leave the room. This isn’t because I am riveted by Jeremy or his toothless guests; it’s just that I enjoy car crash TV. There is almost a perverse pleasure in watching some of their antics unravel behind your squinting eyes or behind your hands. Maybe it makes you feel a little more assured and happy about your own life, who knows?

Anyway, they were queuing up in their droves I imagine to have their 5 minutes of fame on the radio this morning and were arguing their points as to why retirement does and does not cause death. I won’t go through the guest list but there was one man that I did find amusing. This guy was in his 80’s and was still working, so I am not sure why he was on the show in the first place. Here he was though and he was preaching like a messiah that retirement was evil and how his life was AMAZING and that if you retire nothing good would come from it as all you would do, and I quote “sit in front of the bloody TV all day, and read the paper back to front or front to back” and basically rot. Now I don’t know about you but the thought of having the time to read the paper in peace and all the way through sounds very appealing to me, and the idea of someday being able to sit in front of the TV all day and watch DVD’S and Jeremy Kyle is something that I am relishing.

I did find the debate very interesting though and there were some good points made on both sides. In my humble opinion retirement does not cause death, old age, disease, illness and accidents cause death. I don’t know about you but I plan to enjoy my retirement somewhere warm, with a paper every day, lots of TV and hopefully my family close by.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now