Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Decisions decisions.

(4 Posts)

I have sat on the sofa this morning with the girls whilst being force fed one of their movies 'Ice Princess'. This would obviously not be my first choice of drivel movie, and as fine an actress as Kim Cattral is she is no Al Pacino, Liam Neeson or Dame Judi Dench etc.

When ever I am shown the 'doey eyed please Daddy expression' and I know there is no visible route of escape I have to surrender gracefully and do as I am told. I enjoy this time I spend with the girls and I suppose that if I am going to cuddle up with them to watch anything, then it may as well be something that I have no interest in. I say this because the time that we spend together involves them asking me a thousand and one questions, "why is he/she doing that Daddy?" "Daddy, I can do that.. Watch!" "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy". So for this reason there is no point viewing anything that I may enjoy as I will not get to watch it anyway.

From the little that I did see from the movie I found myself thinking (and no it wasn't that I wanted to be an ice skater, or that I want to star in a cheesy American flick). I thought that I should really get a hobby and perhaps get slightly fitter and how on earth can I swerve these films in the future.

Now I know that I am a little late for New Years Resolutions but hey, I had a moment and now I need to capatalise. I am 38 years old now so I know that I am possibly a little late for the Oympics and my chances of playing professional football are slim zero. I thought what I could do though is have some fun with some gentle exercise, maybe some swimming or bike riding.

I know that I am not to old to get a hobby or to learn something new, what do I do though? This is where you all come in. I need some inspiration and suggestions of hobbies that I could take up. Please help me!!

artifarti Tue 14-May-13 12:26:53

I read an article recently where someone had taken up archery in their thirties because they had an injury and couldn't do high impact sports anymore. They are now a 2016 hopeful so maybe you should aim for the Olympics after all?! Not sure archery will get you fit though...

Thank you for the tip. I am now imagining myself as Robin Hood, very cool (well, in my head anyway).

Dillytante Tue 14-May-13 21:13:19

There's still time for the Olympics yet... Never too late to be great!

As far as hobbies go, I was going to suggest archery too, or fencing. Or there is the green gym, dry stone walling, jogging, climbing up hills, carpentry, trampolining, Zumba, Kung fu. It doesn't necessarily have to be sport, most hobbies will get you off the sofa, painting, needle crafting, silver smithing, going to the library, book group doing a course, plane spotting... As you can tell I'm a big fan off hobbies and tend to collect them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now