Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Size 10 in one shop, size 14 in another... Why?

(8 Posts)
yummymummyreally Sun 12-May-13 11:08:50

Calling all bloggers! Are there any fashion bloggers out there, or anyone else, that knows the inside story on clothes sizing?

I have blogged about my frustration at the crazy system that assumes one number dictates my proportions precisely.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, comments, insider views.

Thanks all,

Louise

Clothes sizing: why can the fashion industry not get this right?

KateDavis Mon 13-May-13 11:37:56

It is so frustrating isn't it? It really puts me off buying clothes which is why my current jeans are starting to fray. I get frustrated with how easy my husband finds it buy clothes, waist and leg length in inches and he knows they'll fit.

I guess it is the problem with having curves.

borninastorm Mon 13-May-13 12:20:01

I wrote a blog post about a similar thing.
I was trying to find a dress for a very special event and discovered that there is no consistent sizing with the high street shops and that makes it really hard for women to find clothes that actually fit.
But men can buy their clothes to fit exactly eg waist 32", leg length 34". They can even by shirts by neck size.
I can't even buy a shirt that doesn't gape over my big boobs.
If you're interested, here's my blog post:
Size is Everything

yummymummyreally Tue 14-May-13 20:45:28

borninastorm I can so relate. I'm glad you found a near perfect fit in the end, but Oh for a shop that sold properly sized clothes!

KateDavies I would mind less if I had enormous unusually large curves, but I don't! I am usually a size 12, but have sizes 12 - 16 in my wardrobe. Crazy isn't it! I Wonder why men's sizes are done to size, but ours are not?

KateDavis Thu 16-May-13 22:59:56

I bought some new jeans yesterday and in several shops they were sold by waist size in inches. It really threw me because I wasn't prepared with that information.

Maybe there is a move towards more helpful labelling of women's clothes...?

yummymummyreally Sat 18-May-13 14:11:33

Crikey I hope so. Which shops were they?

Startail Sat 18-May-13 14:18:29

I'm begging to wonder if their is an outbreak of deliberate stupidity to get us all back to the high street where we can try stuff on.

My personal prize goes to new look.
I have two Tshirts, bought on a combined deal, so very similar.

The 12 is bigger than the 16 confused

Startail Sat 18-May-13 14:19:10

There, blood stupidity is catching.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now