Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

the balance between annoying and acceptable?

(14 Posts)
NeedsTherapy Sat 11-May-13 09:55:45

at the moment I post my blog to my blog facebook page (which is automatic through bloglovin) and my personal facebook page as well as twitter, which is attached to my facebook page.

When I post to my personal facebook page I get a spike in page views, a few comments and lots of people clicking through to other pages. I normally do this in the morning, so between 8am and 10 am I get most of my page views for the day. I try to blog daily so this is pretty much a daily thing.

Last week I also accidently (forgetting I had already done it in the morning) posted again to my personal facebook page and yet again I got a spike in page views. BUT I also got a complaint saying I was 'spamming' their news feed, they could see my facebook page because their friends had commented on the post, Twitter had also posted and there had been comments form other mutual friends as well as the 2 posts I posted to my facebook page.

So do I write this off as a grumpy person and say you can hide/block me and/or the page if it bothers you that much. or do I take what the person said on board and cut back what I post to facebook, knowing it will also impact my pageviews.

And while were on the subject Why wont my friends who read my blog just like my blog facebook page then I wouldnt have to post to my private facebook in the first place!

IrritatingInfinity Sat 11-May-13 17:12:26

Yes, I would find it annoying but I don't see that as a problem as I have control over what I see on my FaceBook page. Your Grumpy friend can just hide anything she doesn't like.

You may find that people who 'like' your blog don't actually read it but don't want to be seen to be unsupportive.

Tee2072 Sat 11-May-13 17:23:49

I think that is too much, but it was an accident and accidents happen.

I would ignore the grumpy person.

And the like versus comment versus page view thing is a mystery of the age. grin

NeedsTherapy Sun 12-May-13 10:12:30

I think it just made me question how much I was posting, I agree that day was too much blush but she said that linking to the blog every day is too much. And suddenly I wasn't sure! (Yet her posting 10 pictures a day of the funny car thing and updating her status every time she goes to the toilet is fine?)

TwasBrillig Sun 12-May-13 10:17:01

I'd probably block you if you linked to a blog every day.presumably you can give people the choice to 'like' the blog page and get updates. If they don't do that they don't want it!!

Maybe once a week or so or if you do a particularw interesting blog you could link with a 'like my blog page for more regular updates' on it?

NeedsTherapy Sun 12-May-13 10:27:40

Twas the problem is when I don't link to my personal Facebook page I get around 50 page views, when I do that number increases buy around 300%
People are obviously reading it from my personal page and while they are I don't want to stop posting.

TwasBrillig Sun 12-May-13 10:41:48

Then you've already decided and don't need this thread!!

I'd definitely find daily updates to a blog I've not subscribed to annoying but if your actual real life friends on fb don't then that's ok. I'd say it was the point of having a personal page for real life friends and then a blog page for those who want the updates and friends you make online through the blog.

IrritatingInfinity Sun 12-May-13 11:35:52

Why do you care about the number of views? Are you trying to make any money out of it? If so, then I would definitely block you (sorry but I would)
If you are doing the blog for fun then it doesn't matter how many views you get.
I would suggest linking about once a fortnight. Max.

NeedsTherapy Sun 12-May-13 11:38:26

No i'm just thinking aloud, like most of the other people starting threads on mumsnet!

I've disconnected bloglovin from my facebook page. I will manually post on to my facebook page and keep twitter connected to my blog page meaning (hopefully) people will only see it once a day.

TwasBrillig Sun 12-May-13 11:40:06

Sounds like pageviews are more important than what your friends think then?

NeedsTherapy Sun 12-May-13 11:40:28

Not necessairly trying to make money out of it, I do it more for enjoyment but I enjoy watching the pageviews going up and reading comments

NeedsTherapy Sun 12-May-13 11:41:17

No pageviews are not the most important confused where did I say that?

IrritatingInfinity Sun 12-May-13 13:53:30

Are you trying to make any money out of it though? It is not necessarily a bad thing to do but I would prefer someone to be upfront about it.

Once a day still sounds a lot. However, I am quick to hide FB posts or feeds if they are boasty, boring or self indulgent which means most of them grin

WeightWars Tue 21-May-13 11:48:15

This is why I set up a separate page for my blog, then invited people who are interested in it to like the page. You can link wordpress to a facebook page.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now