Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Help! I've been offered a magazine slot, advice needed!

(15 Posts)
peekyboo Wed 03-Apr-13 16:01:19

Hi all,

I've been offered a slot as a regular contributor on an online magazine. It would be about once monthly and for 700 words. But they can't offer me any payment for it.
Is this standard? It's not a big, glitzy magazine, it seems quite advert free. But should I be doing things for free?
I feel it would raise my profile and would be something for my CV - as I'm also a professional writer. It's just I have doubts and don't know if his is the way of things.
Advice appreciated!

Amanda

aspie-girl.blogspot.co.uk/

JerryLeadbetter Wed 03-Apr-13 19:55:29

I would go for it personally! As you say, it can't hurt to raise your profile. If the site starts showing adverts ie taking money, then down the line you could perhaps negotiate a small fee, or whatever both parties can agree on.

Congrats!

Gusthetheatrecat Wed 03-Apr-13 21:47:22

I would also say go for it. You've nothing to lose. If you decide you aren't getting anything from it, you can always stop. You could track how much traffic you're getting from the site and bear that in mind, too...

peekyboo Wed 03-Apr-13 22:18:58

They do have some ads on the site, though smaller private ones, not like Adsense or similar.
I don't want to miss an opportunity but at the same time it's such a regular commitment. I'd feel happier if I knew everyone else working for them for free too!

peekyboo Wed 03-Apr-13 22:19:51

I should maybe ask if I'll be able to include my blog address and links to my books? Then I might get some other benefits!

JerryLeadbetter Thu 04-Apr-13 14:07:51

Oh yes, I would have thought they should include a link to your blog as standard, plus links to books- I definitely would as standard if I featured any blogger/writer on my blog or website.

Craftsonsea Thu 04-Apr-13 20:47:02

See, I'm going to say the opposite here, or at least something like the opposite. In all honestly how long will this take you to do? I was offered something similar for a local print magazine and I figured with research, taking pictures, editing them, writing, editing that it would actually take me more time than I was willing to put into it and I wasn't really going to get much in return. So I'm not saying don't do it (especially if you can get the links to your books!!) but do be clear with yourself first on whether you have the additional time to do this.

peekyboo Thu 04-Apr-13 21:06:55

With me, it's as much the stress of being expected to do it as the time it will take. My aspie blog was 'down' for a month a while back because the stress of putting out a daily, and quite intense, blog just got to me. So, along with everything else, I'm wary of committing myself.
Thanks loads for all the advice, it's very much appreciated! Especially as you're all so blog-centric so know where I'm coming from!

racheyp Fri 05-Apr-13 18:58:30

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MmeLindor Wed 10-Apr-13 21:53:19

It is the way of things, but only because so few companies are willing to pay for content.

I would be cautious about committing to a monthly contribution if you are already having problems keeping on top of things.

Is it a magazine that is aimed at your target market?

YoungDebbie Sun 14-Apr-13 12:29:42

Go for it! For lots of reasons:

- inbound links from your posts will improve your own blog's visibility
- it will be GREAT for your CV - it's as if you've been headhunted (you don't need to tell anyone that you write it for free!)
- it's a great and essential discipline for any writer to write for an editor's deadline
- it will bring you fab new networking opportunities
- it will be great for your self-image as a writer - you've arrived!

When I left my full-time job to spend more time writing 3 years ago, the first thing I did was to commit to two free columns in two local mags and I have never regretted it, even if I have occasionally cursed the approaching deadlines! It has brought other opportunities that I'd never have had otherwise - and a great respect for my writing from people who already know me.

If writing a daily post for your own blog is causing you stress, I'd question whether such frequent posts are really necessary? Maybe you'd enjoy it more - and, dare I say it, write better - if you did three or four posts a week, tops. I haven't read your blog so this is not by any means a slight - every post may be brilliant (I'm going to check it out in a minute) but I think blogging should be a joy, and if it starts to become a chore, I'd question whether you're doing it right, as the actress said to the bishop ;)

katese11 Sun 14-Apr-13 16:25:12

I would say yes, do it! I have just started freelance writing (instead of going back to work) and one of the things that helped me get my first couple of freelance clients was the free work I'd been doing for other people ( a film review site and a christian site). It showed that I was able to write to other people's briefs and styles as well as just blogging. And gave me more for my portfolio.

BUT if it's going to stress you out too much (and I know that kind of thing can stress you if you have aspergers), don't bother. Wait for the next opportunity, when you've had some time to prepare yourself for it.

LeChatRouge Sun 14-Apr-13 16:31:36

My catchphrase is 'Try it for six months'. Why not have a chat with them and say you'll do it on a trial basis? You could also write two articles at once and then you'll have one ready to submit for the following month if the creative juices don't flow or life gets in the way.

Xenia Sun 14-Apr-13 17:11:57

Yes, agree a short period and perhaps make it a term you retain copyright and have accreditation and links in the material.

(Always free, never "for free" (Xenia free grammar lesson of the day. Readers wince at the superfluous preposition every time we see the phrase "for free"))

Tee2072 Thu 18-Apr-13 15:53:55

If you're worried about not being up to writing on a schedule, write ahead.

When you feel well, write several entries. Then you'll have one or more ready when you don't feel well.

Xenia what do you mean? The word 'for' has never made me cringe...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now