Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Blogging,and finding the time to network!

(5 Posts)
JerryLeadbetter Mon 25-Mar-13 14:45:34

Hey there, i'm relatively new to blogging (since November), and whilst i'm quite happy with my actual blog and getting some consistent traffic now, I still feel 'on the outside' of the blogging world. I keep hearing that to make an impact you should get involved and comment on other people's blogs, tweets etc. Now I like to read other blogs, but finding the time is sometimes hard and to keep up with commenting etc etc and to make connections. I tweet a few times a day probably, but i'm always astounded at the amount of tweets that other bloggers manage, tweet conversations that take place, especially when they work or have tiny children at home- I just never seem to have to bloody time to keep up! Am I doing something wrong? Are there other sites apart from MN that I should be going on to network more? I've heard of Britmums but i'm not how you use it IYSWIM? I also see pictures of people, or people talking about going to all these bloggers awards, and I'm curious as to how you get involved in the first place?!

Can someone 'in the know' come and talk to me about how to get more well known and my blog 'out there'?! I'm such a rookie!

peekyboo Mon 25-Mar-13 16:08:48

Hiya,

I've only been blogging a month longer than you and also find the blogging takes up the time I might use doing something else, so that it becomes an end in itself. I don't get along too well with twitter but I've found Facebook very good for building up some followers for the blog, as well as a small community based around the blog. Facebook and the blog operate in different spheres, but are linked. Also, with Facebook, you can post your comment or blog link and then go off, take the cat to the vet, ferry the family around, forget to make your appointment, and all the other things you have to do, then come back and contribute to your comment again. I find it works better for me and my distractions than the faster moving twitter environment.

Amanda

www.aspie-girl.blogspot.co.uk/

JerryLeadbetter Tue 26-Mar-13 09:31:59

Thanks Amanda smile I thought about fb but not sure I want certain people I'm friends with on fb (maybe I shouldn't be friends with them then!) to know about my blog yet... Have you signed up and created a group under your real profile, or started a new one?

Whatsamsawtoday Tue 26-Mar-13 13:14:06

OP - what do you blog about? Is there another community which your blog also relates to (e.g in terms of interests?)

IMHO blogs gain traction when they interest people with what you write about/ how you write.

Please bear in mind it takes years of blogging to reach "overnight success"

peekyboo Tue 26-Mar-13 14:36:43

Yes, I know what you mean about not wanting people to find out about the blog. I did just create the page with my name on the FB account but named the page after the blog, so as far as any FB friends were concerned, they had seen that I had joined a page, if you see what I mean.

As far as I know, they don't automatically find out it is started by you, but they may see your interactions with it. eg if I posted on my Crazy Girl page, my friends would know, but when I'm operating as the Crazy Girl page, they only know if they've joined it.

I did agonise over the privacy element then thought, what the heck, if I can share all this stuff with strangers, then my old school mates can find out about it, as some of them feature in the blog anyway - anonymised. But everyone has their own circumstances to consider.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now