Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

how does the twitter business work?

(11 Posts)
time4anewname Sat 03-Nov-12 20:03:05

Yes I'm an old bat, with 11 followers and two tweets.

I've just started a misery blog anxiousmother.net/ (which is actually cheering me up a bit). The thing is, I would love to connect with people who feel the same way as I do so I need to get more readers. At the moment my few readers are all in the US.

I'm following mumsnetbloggers on twitter, but for them to tweet my posts, do I have to tweet them to my followers (mostly pals from uni)? The blog is a place to get things off my chest that I can't discuss with anyone in RL.

Would be grateful for advice.

Tee2072 Sat 03-Nov-12 21:14:44

Find people who interest you and follow them. Tweet to them. Post things with hash tags.

It's called Social Media for a reason. You need to be social.

I'm Tee2072 on Twitter as well. Feel free to follow me.

peekyboo Sat 03-Nov-12 21:34:10

I'm totally rubbish at twitter (#thewishatree), though I do try! It reminds me of when I used to try to keep up with internet chatrooms - I couldn't get away with those either.
I've found facebook to be more my 'thing'. I created a page that has the same name as the blog and I've made more connections on there.

Amanda
www.aspie-girl.blogspot.co.uk/

time4anewname Sun 04-Nov-12 14:55:13

thanks, I'll give it a go with a new id

MmeLindor Sun 04-Nov-12 20:12:40

Here is an overview of using SM to promote your blog.

FB is getting more tricky, as you might not automatically appear on your friends' walls, since they have rejigged things - you now need to pay for a promoted post, which of course many bloggers don't want to do.

Once you are established it is easier, but getting there is more difficult.

YoungDebbie Mon 05-Nov-12 08:33:42

There are some really good, cheap books about how to use Twitter - the one that helped me really get to grips with it is Nicola Morgan's Tweet Right, available only as an ebook but really easy to read and work through. Available on Amazon for a couple of quid, I think, and SO worth it! I'm on Twitter as @DebbieYoungBN if you'd like to hook up. smile

By the way, I think Mumsnet only very rarely retweets its bloggers' tweets, so don't worry if they don't retweet yours - it's very lucky if you do get an RT from them!

If you want your tweets to be anonymous, you might prefer to set up a separate account under a pseudonym, by the way - you might not want to share everything with your real life friends, by the sound of it. Great therapy! (Try Moodscope too - www.moodscope.com - their blog is great support in troubled times - and not-so-troubled too, I read it every day!0

pebbles77 Mon 05-Nov-12 09:15:21

Thanks for advice YoungDebbie - i'm now following you on twitter x

time4anewname Mon 05-Nov-12 12:51:38

Thank you everyone.

I set up a new email address and a new twitter ac (@anxiousmother1). Already I have one follower! - er, with a pic of her bare bum.

Have done one tweet (to my one follower) - not confident enough yet to tweet @ anyone.

Thank you for the moodscope link Debbie. Very interesting. I've been blogging for about a month now and it has been great to have somewhere to vent. It's also been very useful to hold a mirror up to my own actions.

MmeLindor Mon 05-Nov-12 14:39:23

Time4
I can't find you on Twitter. Can you look for me via my blog?

<ahem> If you want to buy a book, mine is available on Kindle too. <shameless selfpromotion>

time4anewname Tue 06-Nov-12 10:57:34

MmeLindor what's your blog called?

MmeLindor Tue 06-Nov-12 11:44:54

Oops. Sorry. It's here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now