Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Pingbacks - do you approve them?

(12 Posts)
WomanlyWoman Mon 29-Oct-12 15:49:53

I'm never quite sure what to do with pingbacks when they show up in comments. Wondering what anyone else does, and why?

MmeLindor Mon 29-Oct-12 15:58:46

Yes, I approve them because they are generally someone agreeing with me.. and sometimes disagreeing.

Either way it is a chance to carry on the conversation.

ZombTEE Mon 29-Oct-12 16:00:55

Yes. The only thing I don't approve is out and out SPAM.

pebbles77 Mon 29-Oct-12 17:24:04

What's a pingback?

Also I have people who write a comment on a post or like a post and when i click on their link it just leads to a wordpress homepage that we all start with - is this spam? i obviously don't like them in return but i'm just baffled as to how it's a good thing for them?

ZombTEE Mon 29-Oct-12 17:33:20

They just don't want to share their blog but you might have your blog set up so a URL is required?

Not everyone is looking to improve their stats.

And a pingback is when someone links from your site to theirs.

pebbles77 Mon 29-Oct-12 17:50:35

Oh i hadn't thought that some people don't want others to read theirs - if that makes sense...
Thanks re pingback

Pavlovthecat Mon 29-Oct-12 18:02:26

ooh, is a pingback the same as a trackback?

WomanlyWoman Mon 29-Oct-12 20:16:10

I wasn't really sure what was the point of approving them. I thought it was just to show that someone had linked to your post, so if in comments then it was a bit like showing off, but having noticed referrals via pingbacks, I think I'm starting to get it hmm I'd best go n check if I can retrieve my trash.

Pavlov, they're pretty much the same - but trackback is manual and pingback is automatic which means it's less likely to be spam, (I just googled it).

2under2blog Mon 29-Oct-12 20:24:53

I get a pingback when I do a deeplink, I tend to ignore those. I haven't had any other pingbacks, woe!

Pavlovthecat Mon 29-Oct-12 20:46:55

ah, so a trackback is more likely to be spam? I have two that is all, no idea what to do with them either!
I had pingbacks when I had another blog and accidently kept reblogging all my new posts to that one.
Thanks for the thread, I have a vague clue what it all means as well know. vague being the key word there...

MmeLindor Mon 29-Oct-12 22:26:22

I have a wee look to ensure that it is not spam and if it is genuine then allow it. You can often tell by the url -- if it included cheapvuittonbags or genuineralphlauren, then don't click ;)

katese11 Tue 30-Oct-12 20:59:22

oh, I'm glad this came up. I have a pending pingback to this website:
http://wpbest.website.org, and it looks kinda spammy. To approve or not approve? What is this site?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now