Pingbacks - do you approve them?

(12 Posts)
WomanlyWoman Mon 29-Oct-12 15:49:53

I'm never quite sure what to do with pingbacks when they show up in comments. Wondering what anyone else does, and why?

OP’s posts: |
MmeLindor Mon 29-Oct-12 15:58:46

Yes, I approve them because they are generally someone agreeing with me.. and sometimes disagreeing.

Either way it is a chance to carry on the conversation.

ZombTEE Mon 29-Oct-12 16:00:55

Yes. The only thing I don't approve is out and out SPAM.

pebbles77 Mon 29-Oct-12 17:24:04

What's a pingback?

Also I have people who write a comment on a post or like a post and when i click on their link it just leads to a wordpress homepage that we all start with - is this spam? i obviously don't like them in return but i'm just baffled as to how it's a good thing for them?

ZombTEE Mon 29-Oct-12 17:33:20

They just don't want to share their blog but you might have your blog set up so a URL is required?

Not everyone is looking to improve their stats.

And a pingback is when someone links from your site to theirs.

pebbles77 Mon 29-Oct-12 17:50:35

Oh i hadn't thought that some people don't want others to read theirs - if that makes sense...
Thanks re pingback

Pavlovthecat Mon 29-Oct-12 18:02:26

ooh, is a pingback the same as a trackback?

WomanlyWoman Mon 29-Oct-12 20:16:10

I wasn't really sure what was the point of approving them. I thought it was just to show that someone had linked to your post, so if in comments then it was a bit like showing off, but having noticed referrals via pingbacks, I think I'm starting to get it hmm I'd best go n check if I can retrieve my trash.

Pavlov, they're pretty much the same - but trackback is manual and pingback is automatic which means it's less likely to be spam, (I just googled it).

OP’s posts: |
2under2blog Mon 29-Oct-12 20:24:53

I get a pingback when I do a deeplink, I tend to ignore those. I haven't had any other pingbacks, woe!

Pavlovthecat Mon 29-Oct-12 20:46:55

ah, so a trackback is more likely to be spam? I have two that is all, no idea what to do with them either!
I had pingbacks when I had another blog and accidently kept reblogging all my new posts to that one.
Thanks for the thread, I have a vague clue what it all means as well know. vague being the key word there...

MmeLindor Mon 29-Oct-12 22:26:22

I have a wee look to ensure that it is not spam and if it is genuine then allow it. You can often tell by the url -- if it included cheapvuittonbags or genuineralphlauren, then don't click ;)

katese11 Tue 30-Oct-12 20:59:22

oh, I'm glad this came up. I have a pending pingback to this website:
http://wpbest.website.org, and it looks kinda spammy. To approve or not approve? What is this site?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in