Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Do blog reviews influence your choice of restaurant or product?

(7 Posts)
MmeLindor Sat 27-Oct-12 13:24:40

I wrote about a blog that went viral when an irate chef replied to a review.

It got me wondering about reviews. Some blogs have a lot of reviews, some hardly any any.

Do reviews influence you? Would a review by a blogger you already know and trust influence you more? How many reviews are too many?

I know that MNBN don't accept blogs that have a high ratio of reviews to the network (which I think is good).

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Sat 27-Oct-12 13:27:51

Yes absolutely I would need to know and trust the blogger. There are too many with axes to grind, or where you wouldn't trust they weren't getting a backhander, or where you already think they have bad judgement because they've eg slagged off a recipe that worked really well for you.

MmeLindor Sat 27-Oct-12 13:30:15

ooh, yes the axe to grind thing is tricky.

And the 'unreasonable expectations' one where the blogger rants about something that I would not have even noticed -

That is tricky on sites such as Trip Advisor where you might not look at the reviews, just go by the stars given.

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Sat 27-Oct-12 13:33:50

But on Trip Advisor you're getting a bigger sample size so it's more likely to be representative. I don't take a huge amount of notice of a single review but if there are 40 with a low average that suggests there's something wrong with the place.

MmeLindor Sat 27-Oct-12 15:05:23

That is true. I've found some great places through TA tbh.

ZombTEE Sat 27-Oct-12 20:39:44

I tend to take any all of reviews, whether professional or on a blog or a site like Trip Advisor with a grain of salt. I would need to see more than one bad review of some place before I wouldn't go there.

Or more than one good one before I did go there.

We're all human and all have bad days. Even professional reviewers. grin

MmeLindor Sat 27-Oct-12 22:49:43

Yes, I am the same Tee. I have had great recommendations and hated the place that people have sent me to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now